PDA

View Full Version : Different screens produce different renders ???

davie563
04-25-2007, 11:05 AM
Hi, Just got a quike question, do any of u guys have problems when viewing images on different monitors ? I have 2 comps, my main work station has a DELL 19'' TFT screen and my other one that is hooked up to the internet uses a 17'' CRT screen. When i make a final render on my work comp and take it over to my CRT screen it sometimes looks very dark and details that were very clear on my TFT screen are almost impossible to see on the CRT, This is a bit annoying, with my work ultimatly beeing developed for my showreel, id hate to think some companies might see my work in a different light that i set out to achieve, because of different screen types.....

*I just burned some of these renders onto cd and viewed them on a 32'' standard def CRT tv in my living room, the render was totally different yet again.... Arghhhh :help:

*I also viewed it on my Samsung 32'' HDTV in my room and it looked somwhere inbetween my TFT and my CRT pc screens.

has any1 else encountered this, Im sure this might worry some other ppl workin on there reels aswell, what if one compay watch ur reel on a standard def tv, one watches it on a TFT monitor, they will both have different viewing experiences.... Which is not what anybody showing of their reel wants, they want a consistant level of quality...

So guys, Whats ur take on this ? :thumbsup:

fgreen
04-25-2007, 01:43 PM
Unfortunately, this is a common problem. Some opt for monitor calibration software systems to make all display devices the same-- at least in the studio.

I read an article recently about everyone in a game studio using new LCD monitors on a project. When they released the game they got tons of complaints about how dark it looked on most peoples CRT's. In the sequel they included gama correction to allow the user to callibrate the game to their monitor.

I personally check test renders on the output display, or at least a similar display. For stuff going out to NTSC video, I check it on a monitor that I calibrate to color bars. If it's going to a specific computer display like a kiosk I just match it to the actual kisok display. If its for general release on CD, DVD or web for install or viewing on multiple computers, then all bets are off. I then make it look reasonably bright on an average quality CRT, as they are still so common. Also, the LCD folks are still used to really bright images, as so many are made on CRTs.

emarufino
04-25-2007, 03:29 PM
I have the same problem... :(

emarufino
04-25-2007, 03:33 PM
I have Viewsonic 17' CRT and Samsung 940NW LCD.

My renders are to diferents in each screen.

In Lcd i see ok them.

in CRT to dark in many places.

But...When one client ask for an image, how can i be sure to make a nice render??? I shold keep my LCD impression? or maybe CRT one???

Skonk
04-26-2007, 06:53 AM
The only way to guarentee you see the same image as your client is to have your monitor(s) calibrated to the same standard they are using (assuming your client even calibrates their own screens).

But to be honest its entirely posible that you cleints wont have there screen calibrated so wont see exactly the same image as you do on your own screen. All you can really do is make sure your screen is setup right and leave it at that.

Getting printed images to look the same as they do on screen is another big problem very simalar to this one and again the way to fix it is to calibrate the screen so the colours match that of the printer.

emarufino
04-26-2007, 07:00 AM
Yes, i agree.

But the new screens has one "auto" button. Is there any other way to calibrate its?

Skonk
04-26-2007, 07:16 AM
The auto setting will just default the monitor to a manufacturers preset, it wont set it to any standard or anything i would think.

You could have 2 identical monitors, set them up the same but then simply changing the brightness will make the image look different on each screen.

Some monitors will never produce the same image no matter how much you tweak the settings.

Try loading a test image (perhaps an image made up of squares of different colours and a gradiant from white to black), have the image appear on both screens at the same time and chang things like brightness, contrast and colour temp on each of your 2 monitors untill they both look the same, it may not be easy to make them match though.

emarufino
04-26-2007, 07:26 AM
Thank's for your reply. I will try that.

Matt
04-26-2007, 07:44 AM
I tried to explain this to a client who said that the images I'd sent him were too dark.

All I could say were that they looked fine on my monitor (which is calibrated) and it's ALWAYS difficult to guarantee what they will look like on any other monitor.

Just a fact of technology!