PDA

View Full Version : lwcad 2 question

jin choung
04-25-2007, 01:40 AM
howdy everyone,

haven't upgraded to 2 yet but i was wondering if 2 is meant to replace 1.5 or if they're meant to both be installed.

i noticed in the docs that the 2 series is no longer compatible with lw curves (cuz they support actual nurbs!!! wooo!) but then does that mean that we should keep 1.5 for doing ops on lw curves or does the 2 series offer a "translation" tool to make lw curves into nurbs.

thanks.

jin

colkai
04-25-2007, 03:24 AM
Nope, 2 and 1.5 aren't really meant to run side by side. LWCAD2 (2.1) is the way to go and is a worthy update.
I'm not sure about the translation tool, there is one to go the other way though.

I'll see if I can find out for sure.

jin choung
04-25-2007, 04:15 AM
ah! thanks for the info.

dang it, so if i install 1.5 now, i gotta uninstall later eh? was what i was afraid of. on the upside, i guess it simplifies things.

thanks again.

jin

colkai
04-25-2007, 05:20 AM
Well yup, plus, I think 2.1 may need LW9, though that's not a problem for you I know. :)
It's worth the upgrade though Jin and at least the uninstall is not too painful. :)

hrgiger
04-25-2007, 06:31 AM
2 rocks. You won't look back. I might be in the beta for 2.5. I might not. I'm not sure because there was no NDA to speak of. Or there might have been.

theo
04-25-2007, 06:45 AM
2 rocks. You won't look back. I might be in the beta for 2.5. I might not. I'm not sure because there was no NDA to speak of. Or there might have been.

Are you saying ANYTHING here, hr? Well, other than LWCad 2 rocks, which I agree with.

Edit: Better put a smiley face on this for good measure- :D

hrgiger
04-25-2007, 07:12 AM
Are you saying ANYTHING here, hr?

Yes.

No.

Well, maybe.

Andyjaggy
04-25-2007, 07:17 AM
I've been thinking of buying it, I take it it is worth the money?

hrgiger
04-25-2007, 07:29 AM
I've been thinking of buying it, I take it it is worth the money?

Go to Wtools site and watch some of the tutorial movies. Between the snapping options, real time interactive booleans, arch and line curves, profiling of curves and engraving of polygons, you'll find something useful (and easy). These are just some of my favorites, there's plenty more in there.

Andyjaggy
04-25-2007, 07:42 AM
I have been looking for a way to warp geometry by using a control curve in the background. Is this something LWCad can do?

colkai
04-25-2007, 07:57 AM
doesn't C_Worm or C_Bend do this? Don't think LWCAD can.

As to being worth it, by the Gods aye. :)

BeeVee
04-25-2007, 08:29 AM
You can do it with SplineGuide? Been in Modeler for ages (introduced in 8.0 I believe).

B

Matt
04-25-2007, 08:56 AM
Word has it, the next version will allow all (or at least most) of the drawing / editing tools to work on polygons too!

THAT is something I really need, as I'm not overly keen on the LWCAD spline editing -> turn to polys way of working.

Exception
04-25-2007, 09:01 AM
Projective snapping....

Even autocad isn't that good at it, but LWCAD.. no problem!

hrgiger
04-25-2007, 09:04 AM
I have been looking for a way to warp geometry by using a control curve in the background. Is this something LWCad can do?

As BeeVee said, spline guide may be the answer.

What you can do in LWCAD is use its excellent Nurbs Curves to draw a guide and then use profiler to extrude the shape you want. If a particular profile is not in LWCAD that you want to use, you can make your own and add it to a library.

Andyjaggy
04-25-2007, 09:28 AM
I vaugely remember seeing spline guide in one of the menus somewhere and thinking to myself 'I wonder what that does, I'll have to check it out later' I guess the later is now.

hrgiger
04-25-2007, 10:10 AM
It's pretty useful. You can set the number of control points to use in your spline guide to deform your mesh. I usually use it for making endomorphs.

Matt
04-25-2007, 10:56 AM
If only ALL Modeler tools had this level of snapping! Ah well, maybe in v10!

:D

Andyjaggy
04-25-2007, 11:38 AM
Spline Guide is exactly what I was looking for. Another one of those very useful tools that has eluded me all this time. Thanks. Sorry to temporarily hijack the thread.

Exception
04-25-2007, 01:46 PM
In the same fashion...
how does the auto-complete of the polygon tool work?
It's not auto-completing anything for me so far :)

Exception
04-25-2007, 02:42 PM
Got it figured out. It doesn't autocomplete unless there's a clear gap in geometry, not along any loop.

T-Light
04-25-2007, 04:29 PM
hrgiger-

Is that a 2.5 yes or a no? Some of us just hang around here trying to gather fossils, if you're telling us it's Jurrasic or maybe cretatious we need to know. Kind of. you know what I mean.

Even wrote to wtoolsisface the other week, didn't get much info in the way of a reply, and here you've got access to 2.5 with or without mr nda and you're keeping schtum.

Come along Mr Giger, Spill Some beans, you know you want too.

theo
04-25-2007, 04:41 PM
hrgiger-

Is that a 2.5 yes or a no? Some of us just hang around here trying to gather fossils, if you're telling us it's Jurrasic or maybe cretatious we need to know. Kind of. you know what I mean.

Even wrote to wtoolsisface the other week, didn't get much info in the way of a reply, and here you've got access to 2.5 with or without mr nda and you're keeping schtum.

Come along Mr Giger, Spill Some beans, you know you want too.

Damn these beta testers and their vaporware. I don't even think LWCad 2.5 exists! :D :D

These smilies make me feel a tad childish. While I'm at it- damn these emoticons too!

hrgiger
04-25-2007, 04:45 PM
All I can probably say is that Viktor is in the works of a new version of LWCAD and it will be nice.

theo
04-25-2007, 05:01 PM
All I can probably say is that Viktor is in the works of a new version of LWCAD and it will be nice.

If I know Viktor it'll be sweet. This is one plug that has exceeded my expectations each time it's been released.

hrgiger
04-25-2007, 05:52 PM
As I stated in another thread somewhere, these modeling tools work so well they make me giggle. And I seldom giggle. Usually much more of a chorteler.

hrgiger
04-25-2007, 06:22 PM
howdy everyone,

haven't upgraded to 2 yet but i was wondering if 2 is meant to replace 1.5 or if they're meant to both be installed.

i noticed in the docs that the 2 series is no longer compatible with lw curves (cuz they support actual nurbs!!! wooo!) but then does that mean that we should keep 1.5 for doing ops on lw curves or does the 2 series offer a "translation" tool to make lw curves into nurbs.

thanks.

jin

Jin,

I just realized that nobody answered about the curves and nurbs. As far as I know, there is no way to convert a LW curve into the LWCAD nurbs curve, but you can go from nurbs to LW curve with the CurveToLWCurve tool. If you want a nurbs curve from a LW curve, I have found it's very easy to place your LW curve in the background and basically trace it with nurbs. With LWCAD snapping, it's, well, a snap. But that's the only way I know to do it, perhaps someone else might have more insight?

theo
04-25-2007, 07:06 PM
Jin,

I just realized that nobody answered about the curves and nurbs. As far as I know, there is no way to convert a LW curve into the LWCAD nurbs curve, but you can go from nurbs to LW curve with the CurveToLWCurve tool. If you want a nurbs curve from a LW curve, I have found it's very easy to place your LW curve in the background and basically trace it with nurbs. With LWCAD snapping, it's, well, a snap. But that's the only way I know to do it, perhaps someone else might have more insight?

Another way might be to freeze the LW curves and run LWCad 2's Poly to Curve command. I would also run the Join command under the Mass Edit menu if there are literally tons of small segments.

jin choung
04-25-2007, 09:44 PM
aha... both are extremely viable techniques. thanks hr and theo! yah, that snapping stuff is the stuff of my dreams... i remember begging newtek to get on the ball with it but i guess i got my wish through proxy.

oh, speaking of curve tools, anyone remember a lw commercial plugin a while back that specifically used curves to modify bg geometry.... evidently it came with a pretty sweet manual... anyhoo, does that still exist?

jin

BeeVee
04-26-2007, 07:07 AM
Are you talking of Metaform? Only worked with LightWave up to v5 I think? That was a sweet tool and there are still some things that it could do that can't be done today without it... :(

B

Silkrooster
04-26-2007, 03:39 PM
Are you talking of Metaform? Only worked with LightWave up to v5 I think? That was a sweet tool and there are still some things that it could do that can't be done today without it... :(

B
B,
Is that different than the metaform option in the subdivision tool? Just curious as I only go back as far as 7.5.
Silk

colkai
04-27-2007, 02:40 AM
I think Ben means MetaForm Plus, a legacy plugin, very useful and IMHO we could live with that functionality being added back into the the Metaform process.

BeeVee
04-27-2007, 06:43 AM
Was it MetaForm Plus? sfunny, I thought it was just Metaform and yes it was a whole set of plug-ins that advanced LightWave as much then as LWCAD does now. We can do some of the stuff now, like extruding along multiple splines, but back then it was truly amazing...

B
PS. It was a commercial third party plug-in on the Amiga. Can't for the life of me remember how much it cost now, nor who did it... :(

colkai
04-27-2007, 07:21 AM
Hmm, there was a commercial plugin, but it was called..er...summat else :p

jin choung
04-27-2007, 11:43 PM
paraform? d'oh... yeah, it's not metaform or metaform+... those are the built in subdivision tools (very nice CC style subdivision i might add) but it's SOMETHING "form" i think....

anyhoo, yah, it was a 5.x commercial plugin and i was really drawn to it cuz of that acclaimed manual (unlike many, i really really dig manuals! and learning about the software flat on my back in bed... really builds the biceps too if the books are thick enough) but i didn't even own a computer (let alone lightwave!) at the time.

ahhh... good times. good times. :)

jin

colkai
04-28-2007, 03:24 AM
Macroform?

jin choung
04-28-2007, 03:42 AM
aha! i think that's it!

macroform.... i think i still have the lightwavin' magazine that reviewed it somewhere.....

jin

T-Light
04-30-2007, 05:18 AM
How about modify/deform/splineguide?

I know it's not what you're after but that things amazing, contains all sorts of black magic, I try and squeeze it in whenever I can.

BeeVee
04-30-2007, 07:04 AM
Ahh! That's it! Macroform, how we miss thee (not that we could remember your name...)

B

jin choung
04-30-2007, 07:51 AM
lol

jin