PDA

View Full Version : Political map of the world?

JGary
04-24-2007, 10:54 AM
Anyone know where I can purchase/find a politcal map of the world that can be mapped to a sphere?

Thanks for help,

Jgary

starbase1
04-25-2007, 03:34 AM
I had a quick look with google images, but the only one I could find of a decent size was watermarked and heavily compressed... What size do you think you need?

Actually, on the subject of other maps of the world, I'd be interested if anyone knows of any good sized ones showing where the continents used to be before continental drift moved everything about...

Nick

prospector
04-25-2007, 04:00 AM
There is book called history of the world that I have someplace that has all the continents from time immorial and all the history of politics but was last printed in '75 so not up to date with political maps.
Has like 8 page wide foldouts for just about everything in timelines to go along with maps and is 11" wide by 18" tall by recolection.
I'll take a look around tomorrow for it, but if it's in storage, I'll never find it as I don't remember what box it could even be in. (no I don't write on boxes what's in them :D )

prospector
04-25-2007, 04:04 AM
This looks like it
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9781405453318&itm=10
doesn't show inside but a trip to local B&N may give ya a peek before you buy it.

safetyman
04-25-2007, 05:47 AM
You could probably go to the USGS website and get shapefiles (a vector-based format that you can resize to any size without loss of quality). I think they have links to other sites where you could find the files, including some of the entire world that you could wrap around a globe. You would need a converter to convert the shape files to DXF, but I think you can find one for free.

JGary
04-25-2007, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will use the common NASA topographic map that maps nicely to a sphere for placement reference. Then use one of the above suggestions as my source for the political maps that I will have to place on the sphere using the topographic map as reference. I did a lot of searching and I'm a bit surprised there's not a polital map that will map to a sphere for sale on the web.

Exception
04-26-2007, 03:36 PM
Someone was asking around for one 2 weeks ago and got it from someone on the forum. I used to have one too. Free stuff.

manholoz
04-27-2007, 03:00 PM
Actually, on the subject of other maps of the world, I'd be interested if anyone knows of any good sized ones showing where the continents used to be before continental drift moved everything about...Nick

You mean Pangea, Gondwana, etc etc? No idea, but if you ever find out a "for commercial use" map, do post a link to it :)

JGary
04-27-2007, 03:17 PM
Someone was asking around for one 2 weeks ago and got it from someone on the forum. I used to have one too. Free stuff.

Oh yeah, look at that...
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67243

Thanks!

2BitSculptor
04-29-2007, 01:29 PM
You mean Pangea, Gondwana, etc etc? No idea, but if you ever find out a "for commercial use" map, do post a link to it :)

Check out http://www.scotese.com/

this guy developed the very first vector path animation of plate tectonics. You see his name credit a lot in Nat.Geographic when they do a paleo map.

Chuck