PDA

View Full Version : Mac Pro versus G5 PowerMac

Filmdesigner
04-24-2007, 03:03 AM
I have recently bought a Mac Pro Quad which runs 30% slower than my older G5 Powermac Quad when rendering the same scene with all the same parameters and hardware set-up.

I am sure it has something to do with the new system and the older LW9 architecture. Will LW9.2 fix this?

Cheers.

Darth Mole
04-24-2007, 03:14 AM
Your Intel Mac is running LW9 through an emulation layer called Rosetta. So the Mac has to take the LW PPC code, turn it into Intel code on-the-fly and then run it - hence the slow-down.

The Universal Binary of LW 9.2 is currently in Beta and runs natively on both PPC and Intel Macs. On your machine it will really fly. And as an owner of LW9 you're entitled to sign up to the beta program and run the current UB build right now!

kopperdrake
04-24-2007, 03:16 AM
Have you registered for the beta of 9.2? You don't need to install it if you do but you can gain access to the results so far on the UB version of LW. Put it this way -I'm looking forward to getting my new Intel Mac :thumbsup:

kopperdrake
04-24-2007, 03:16 AM
Pipped to the post my Darth...I was ninja'd :D

Activator
04-25-2007, 08:17 AM
Hmmm... I wonder why you're getting slower render times...

I have 2 G5 dual 2.0 gHz, 1 G5 Dual 2.5 gHz and a new MacPro Dual 2.66 gHz. Running all 10 cores using Renderfarm Commander, all with the same RAM and thread settings, the MacPro cores render frames in EXACTLY the same time as the Dual 2.5 cores. ie: The Dual 2 (four core) MacPro is like having TWO G5 Dual 2.5's when rendering under Rosetta.

This holds true for simple, as well as very complex scenes with reflections, transparency, video maps, volumetrics and HV's.

I'm running LW 9.0, MacOS 10.4.9.