PDA

View Full Version : Books!

ShawnStovall
04-23-2007, 08:39 PM
I was just wondering what types of books people in this business read. I, personally, am a Si-Fi|Stephen King type of person. I have just started reading "CELL" by Stephen King and I have to say that it only takes a few pages to see how disturbed that man is.8/

Silkrooster
04-23-2007, 09:22 PM
I have the complete Harry Potter Series. Last of the series will be out soon. :jam:
Silk

ShawnStovall
04-23-2007, 09:25 PM
How long has it been going on now? I haven't read any of the books or seen any of the movies.

Steamthrower
04-23-2007, 10:05 PM
You shouldn't have asked that because I'm a literate nut and published my first novel last year. Search for ''The Eclectic Chauvinist'' on Amazon.

As for my favorites?

Les Miserables (Victor Hugo)
The Princess Bride (William Goldman)
Fahrenheit 451 (Ray Bradbury)
The First Circle (Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn)
The Lord of the Rings (J.R.R. Tolkien)

I've read the last one 7 times. I'd say it's a pretty safe guess that most people in the 3D business read either sci-fi or fantasy. You could conjecture a lot about the combinations of tech and imagination here!

Silkrooster
04-23-2007, 10:12 PM
How long has it been going on now? I haven't read any of the books or seen any of the movies.
Excellent books and movies. The last book due in a couple of months is the last one which is book 7. Its too bad they couldn't fit all the material from the books into the movies though. Still well worth it, especially if you love scifi.
Silk

LW_jackn
04-24-2007, 07:49 AM
While I do love most Sci-Fi, my fav's are the Larry Niven "Known Space" stories, and Frederick Pohl's HeeChee saga.

The list is actually too big to put in a message here of what I like...

:D

iconoclasty
04-24-2007, 08:36 AM
For me, it's Michael Crichton or nothing.

Mr_Bester
04-24-2007, 08:41 AM
Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett and any combination therein.

cresshead
04-24-2007, 09:21 AM
audio books!...
just ''reading'' ida a scifi book and have just finished journey to the center of the earth by jules verne [also audio book]

audio books are great as i can work and have a book read to me at the same time!...doesn't feel like work!

real book!
ben bova: saturn...just started it.

Hipcheck
04-24-2007, 09:31 AM
Love Stephen King! CELL is fantastic too! Dark Tower is my fav series. I also really enjoy RA Salvatore. Great stuff!

Iain
04-24-2007, 09:53 AM
Philip Pullman's 'His Dark Materials' is my favourite series of books.

Other than that, Iain M. Banks is just about the only sci-fi/fantasy author whose work I rate as he is that rare thing in the genre; a good writer.

I got a couple of Greg Bear books after the recent Eon CGTalk challenge but they are turgid. Great ideas but dull, dull, dull.

creach
04-24-2007, 12:55 PM
Uh, Robert Heinlein, Arthur C. Clarke, Isaac Asimov, Larry Niven (current fave), Spider Robinson, Tolkein, Jerry Pournelle, David Brin, Frank Herbert.

Tons o' sci-fi.

Also Stephen King, James Michener, James Clavell, Ayn Rand.

And LOTSA freakin' manuals! :D

Dan

ShawnStovall
04-24-2007, 01:23 PM
Uh, Robert Heinlein, Arthur C. Clarke, Isaac Asimov, Larry Niven (current fave), Spider Robinson, Tolkein, Jerry Pournelle, David Brin, Frank Herbert.

Tons o' sci-fi.

And LOTSA freakin' manuals! :D

Dan

:jam:

surfingmarmot
04-24-2007, 02:10 PM
This is jsut my opinion and my answer seems to be a anomaly which is a clue. I am nobody special and I am increasingly bored by popular fiction.

I read little fantasy any more. I have seen little new imagination after progressing through Asimov, Heinlein, Tolkien to Stephenson and Gibson. After a while, those writing after those pioneers, especially those writing for the common denominator like most these days, seem so transparently formulaic, repetitive, and unimaginative. Some legal thrillers with Turow preferred over Gresham who is less of a prose writer. Fairly soon a program will be able to write popular thrillers--even King's and Clancy's.

I read math, physics, graphics and programing books. Some economics and finance. My latest ones are: The Mystery of Capitalism by De Soto, Freakanomics by Levitt, The Tipping Point by Gladwell, and Physics-based Animation by Erleben et al (dense math and physics but very comprehensive).

But I watch all the CGI effects films I can get a hold of. The Harry Potter series and Lord of the Rings are top notch. As are space sci-fi though the Stars Wars plots are for grade school children and always have been.

awrieger
04-24-2007, 06:26 PM
Peter F Hamilton is the new king of science fiction.

Imagine Frank Herbet's Dune x20 in terms of scale and scope, so I doubt anyone will have a large enough budget to turn one of his sagas into a movie (or three like LOTR) to do them justice any time soon.

GandB
04-24-2007, 08:54 PM
When I actually took the time to read (many moons ago), I would stick with a particular author or series of books for awhile: Stephen King, The Dragonlance series, certain authors of Conan (especially anything by Howard). Of course I also enjoyed flipping through various fables of different areas of the world; as well as a good Ghost Story now and then.

I'd have to say my all time favorite (single) book is "The Legend of Huma", by Richard A Knakk (hope I spelled it right); one of the original Dragonlance books (Heroes Vol. I).

-Keith

ShawnStovall
04-24-2007, 09:24 PM
I was reading the "Pendragon" series for a while, then I just kinda lost focus(like I do with EVERYTHING I do).:cry:

Iain
04-25-2007, 03:49 AM
My favourite single book would have to be 'Money' by Martin Amis.

He's not as high brow as some would have you believe-just a clever writer and very, very funny.

Skinner3D
04-25-2007, 10:38 AM
Sci-Fi definately:boogiedow :alien:
Favorite book Ender's game, and then the rest of the Shadow series.

LW_jackn
04-25-2007, 08:01 PM
Sci-Fi definately:boogiedow :alien:
Favorite book Ender's game, and then the rest of the Shadow series.

Oh yeah, how could I forget that...

:)

The Enemy's gate is down! ;)

Andyjaggy
04-26-2007, 01:22 PM
enders game rocks.

ShawnStovall
04-26-2007, 04:09 PM
What is Ender's game about?

Andyjaggy
04-26-2007, 06:20 PM
It's about a super kid who saves the world from nasty aliens. Its really cool though because its not just a sci-fi book but it deals a lot with human nature and stuff. Especially stuff. A lot of stuff in there. I highly suggest it.

jaf
04-26-2007, 07:13 PM
I like some of the oldies, like Doc E.E. Smith (Lensmen Series) and Hitchhiker's Guide is right up there too. Cities in Flight (James Blish.)

And D. Brin, Orson Scott Card, and Keith Laumer (especially the Retief series.)

Andyjaggy
04-26-2007, 08:32 PM
Hitchhikers is the funniest thing I have ever read.

fyrissian
04-27-2007, 10:15 AM
J.R.R. Tolkien
Poul Anderson
Stephen Donaldson (The Gap series)
C.J. Cherryh
Terry Goodkind
Tanith Lee
Robert Jordan
Andre Norton
Gordon Dickson
Glen Cook
Marion Zimmer Bradley
P.C. Hodgell
Stephen Brust
Peter Hamilton
C.S. Friedman
Ray Bradbury
Mark Twain

...and a few dozen others...

And, as with others, LOTSA manuals.

Bog
04-29-2007, 03:47 AM

Tons o' sci-fi.

And LOTSA freakin' manuals!

Plus some David Weber, Peter F. Hamilton, Robert Silverberg, Keith Laumer, Iain M. Banks, Kim Stanley Robinson, John Wyndham, Harry Harrison, a soupson of John Ringo when I'm feeling frivolous and seasoned with a tincture of Christopher Anvil just to make it piquant.

Must read sci-fi. Give me more sci-fi! Give me ALL sci-fi! :D

colkai
04-29-2007, 05:36 AM
Lots and lots of manuals for LW and coding. A few music books.
SF books from various authors.
Piers Antony "Incarnations of Immortality" series (my most fave).
LOTR, Serenity / Firefly related books.
Autobiographies, (M.J. Fox is a good one), stories about dogs and their relationships with people.
Lots of books on Falconry and raptors. (Big surprise there eh?)

I don't have any particular author or style, the only things I tend to avoid are horror and war/spy stories. The former because it's not good with my over-active imagination, the latter because they bore me,

Norman
04-29-2007, 11:00 AM
Isaac Asimov, I have yet to read anything bad by him, even his text books on math, which were an immense help in college.

J.K. Rowling, I've read and reread every single Harry Potter book and seen all of the movies and own all of the DVD's

Ray Bradbury, everything!

Exception
04-29-2007, 12:32 PM
Herman Hesse,
John Fowles
Dostojevski...

?

anyone?

(echo)

hellllooooo?

(silence in the cave)

Iain
04-30-2007, 03:08 AM
Anything by Gabriel García Márquez. Just beautiful prose that translates perfectly.

Anunnaki
04-30-2007, 06:05 PM
Stephen Baxter. First book I read by him is called "The Time Ships", which is a direct sequel to the classic "The Time Machine". It picks up right were The Time Machine ends. The rest of his stuff is amazing.

Vincent D. Brumback

cresshead
04-30-2007, 06:44 PM
currently listening to [text to speech software] Edgar Rice Burroughs book
...A Princess of Mars as pixar are looking to convert this set of tales into their next feature film.

i got the book from
PROJECT GUTENBERG EBOOK

Signal to Noise
05-01-2007, 08:19 AM
My favorite genres are Sci-Fi & Fantasy.

My favorite series of all time (so far) is The Gap Cycle by Stephen R. Donaldson.

My favorite single book of all time (so far) is The Lord of Darkness by Stephen R. Donaldson. Interestingly this is a historical fiction novel, neither sci-fi or fantasy.

Other favorite authors include:

Neil Gaiman
Neal Stephenson
Robert Jordan
David Eddings
Hunter S. Thompson
Dan Ablan ;)

Signal to Noise
05-01-2007, 01:01 PM
...The Lord of Darkness by Stephen R. Donaldson. ...)

Oops, author should be Robert Silverberg.

Where did the Edit button go???