PDA

View Full Version : Need to use DV (Firewire) Output. Please help!

Cosmos
04-23-2007, 03:22 PM
I've just purchased SE but I've have been editing using a DPS system for the past 10 years or so and I need to view the timeline via DVout video on an SD TV monitor with SE. I am testing SE alone on a Intel P4 with 1GB of DDR Ram, 1.8 Pentium 4 processor, ATi 9600 XT All in Wonder video card with 128 MB Ram and an Intel D845 motherboard with a Zonet ZUC2400 pci firewire card. I would like to edit SD video for a while using this system until we upgrade the computer system for HD editing with SE out to a TV monitor via IEEE. Currently I'm using a Sony digital 8 camera to simply view the video on it's flipout screen and RCA out from the camera to a TV monitor. It is playing back very choppy and slow to the 4 inch flip out screen and the TV monitor both. I've tried it out to the flipout screen only and get the same results. I'm guessing that the problem may be in the firewire pci card, the Sony camera, the video card drivers, or possibly something in SE itself.

I need to know if anyone is playing from the SE timeline directly out from DV (firewire) to some sort of TV monitor and if so, could you possibly recommend another firewire card manufacturer, video card or some sort of conversion box from DV to RCA or S-video that I can use to take out the DV signal and play on a consumer SD TV set?
Hoping to be able to SEE,
Thanks,
Cosmos

John Perkins
04-24-2007, 07:31 PM
That computer is just too slow to both play back and encode to DV in realtime.

I wish I had a better suggestion for hardware upgrades, but pretty much any currently available CPU should be able to do this. (obviously I'm not recommending budget CPU's with no cache, but any non-crippled CPU's)

Silkrooster
04-24-2007, 08:42 PM
Back when I had Pinnicle studio with my old system, I had no problems with outputting via firewire to the camera and my system was 1.6GHz.
Where I had problems was capturing analog video. I ended up with dropped frames. The difference is the analog had to be encoded and the digital did not. If I remember right the digital 8 camera is suppose to be able to play both digital and analog video tapes. If you are trying to capture the analog tapes, that may be where your problem is.
But yeah as soon as you get a chance upgrading the system will help out a lot, especially if you want to do HD later on.
Silk

medeamajic
05-01-2007, 02:09 AM
I am interested in SpeedEdit but I am shocked at the response on this thread. Are you folks saying that I can not drop an uncompressed SD clip in the timeline of SpeedEdit and then add a PIP of DV-25 and out put back to tape in RT with out droped frames? I was intereseted in SpeedEdit because I thought it could transcode several layer of uncompressed, DV-25 and MPEG 2 stream with multiple PIP effects in RT to DV-25 or DV50 decks at full resolution and frame rate using OHCI Fire Wire cards.

I take it SpeedEdit it not true RT to OHCI with several layers of DV-25, uncompressed and MPEG 2 . Am I right?

There is a software title that will allow me to have several layers of MPEG 2, Uncompreesed and DV-25 and out put to DV-25 or DV50 devices in RT. It is full resolution and 60 fields persecond as opposed to a preview only.

John Perkins
05-01-2007, 02:41 AM
Are you folks saying that I can not drop an uncompressed SD clip in the timeline of SpeedEdit and then add a PIP of DV-25 and out put back to tape in RT with out droped frames?

Most likely not with that particular computer. P4's that age (mid 2001) with DDR RAM aren't going to be doing a lot of realtime editing. That will probably be 266Mhz RAM on a CPU designed for much more bandwidth. Sadly, those were pretty crippled when they were new compared to their potential.

With anything reasonably current you should be in good shape.

I take it SpeedEdit it not true RT to OHCI with several layers of DV-25, uncompressed and MPEG 2 . Am I right?

It will do that easily given a decent computer. With a fast system you can do more SD layers than you could probably think of a way to use. For HDV footage, 6+ layers is not uncommon. In fact, my almost two year old system can do it.

You just can't judge by 6 year old hardware.

medeamajic
05-02-2007, 01:11 AM
I agree 1.8 is not much CPU horse Power. As of now I use Edius by Canopus. In my opinon it is much better than Avid, FCP or even Premiere because it is true RT with OHCI only. I can use uncompressed, MPEG 2 and DV-25 together on the timeline in RT back to DV-25 tape. I don't doubt the RT power of SpeedEdit with OHCI I just need to see if I like the GUI better than Edius before I buy it. The GUI of Edius is decent but SE might be better for my needs.