PDA

View Full Version : Steve Warner checks out LightWave 9.2

Boo!
04-23-2007, 11:46 AM
...Hi
...i thought id let you know about this review on LW9.2.

http://www.vfxworld.com/?sa=adv&code=319b255d&atype=articles&id=3249

some of the rendered images in the article have sold it to me:thumbsup:

prospector
04-23-2007, 12:30 PM
$899 for a point upgrade??????????
And the users PAY that?????????

:jester: :jester: :jester:

I guess there ARE some born every minute.

I didn't think LW was dead enought to have to rise up.

OOZZEE
04-23-2007, 01:06 PM
LW RULES !!

free .X upgrades
free render nodes
and free beer.... errrr oh wait... well 2 out 3 is good enough for me !!

by the way... good article.. thanks for providing link.

Boo!
04-23-2007, 01:56 PM
LW RULES !!

free .X upgrades
free render nodes
and free beer.... errrr oh wait... well 2 out 3 is good enough for me !!

by the way... good article.. thanks for providing link.

no probs dude...
...hey wait, did you say no free beer?!...NO FREE BEER...????!!!!...
...:D

Limbus
04-23-2007, 02:51 PM
$899 for a point upgrade??????????
And the users PAY that?????????

Point Updates are free as always.

Oh I see you mean Autodesk... LOL

Florian

surfingmarmot
04-24-2007, 10:53 AM
As a Mac user (Final Cut Studio is my non-linear app and Shake is my compositer), I am celebrating Mac Intel support and the Universal binary SDK with XCode. I was a bit discouraged for a while and considered moving to Maya but decided to wait and see. I am indeed glad I did. Very glad. Well done, NewTek, well done. COngratulations for you support of your customer base.

The last two paragraphs of the review sum it up succinctly:

"While Autodesk is charging its users $899 to upgrade from Maya 8.0 to 8.5, NewTek is continuing its policy of providing all incremental point releases for free. If you already own LightWave 9.0, the features you've just read about won't cost you a dime. Yes, these are definitely good times for LightWave users. The changes in 9.2 have brought improvements to nearly every aspect of the software and have made it overwhelming clear that LightWave 9 is the best LightWave to date.

This is not just a collection of new features. It's the rebirth of a beloved application. With this release, NewTek has shown that it is committed to the future of LightWave. Not just to continue servicing an aging application, but rather to forge a bright future that is characterized by the type of innovative, easy-to-use features that have made LightWave an industry favorite the world over."

hrgiger
04-24-2007, 10:55 AM
Is MAX still pc only? Just curious.

jayroth
04-24-2007, 11:09 AM
Is MAX still pc only? Just curious.

Yes.

surfingmarmot
04-24-2007, 11:33 AM
Yes, 3DS Max is, and looks to always be, X86 Microsoft only. No big loss. In fact, whenever a company has acquired close competitors, in this case AutoDesk with Maya and 3DS Max, one of the applications eventually is decommissioned. I've seen it with Adobe and other big software houses.
While Autodesk figures out which product to kill and which to keep, I doubt they'll be broadening the platform support for 3DS Max. Sure they'll *say* they won't do that, but competition and costs will force them to sooner or later.

I hope NewTek stays an independent company. I look forward to a really good fluid dynamics capability like Maya's one day. And I really appreciate their price point and solid Mac/UNIX support. :thumbsup: :lwicon: :newtek:
Now about that free beer :D.

<personal-bias>
Apple's new Intel dual and quad Xeon workstations are every bit as fast as Windows systems yet as inexpensive or even less so (as numerous benchmarks and studies have lately shown) and have the much greater flexibility and stability of UNIX. Plus Final Cut Studio and Shake have no peer for the price--Adobe dropped teh ball with Premiere long ago and is too far behind now. Haven't used a PC in 4 years and not missing it at all.
</personal-bias>

From the Autodesk web site:

Requires one of the following 32-bit operating systems:

Microsoft® Vista® — recommended (requires 3ds Max 9 Extension 1: Productivity Booster)
Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional (Service Pack 2 or higher)—recommended
Microsoft® Windows® 2000 Professional (Service Pack 4)
Required 64-bit operating system:

Microsoft® Vista® — recommended (requires 3ds Max 9 Extension 1: Productivity Booster)
Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional x64
Required web browser: Microsoft® Internet Explorer 6 or higher

Required supplemental software: DirectX® 9.0c (required), OpenGL® (optional)

hrgiger
04-24-2007, 06:18 PM
Yes.

It amazes me that in such a competitive market as 3D, that a company can be as sucessful as Autodesk has been and only cater to the pc market. In one way it's not surprising when you consider the overwhelming majority of computers use the Windows operating system, but there is still a very signifiant market out there of Mac users to be had. I'm not a Mac person myself at all, but I'm glad that Newtek develops for both.

Lightwolf
04-24-2007, 06:37 PM
It amazes me that in such a competitive market as 3D, that a company can be as sucessful as Autodesk has been and only cater to the pc market.
Not only that but they are something like the third largest software company in the world (behind MS and Adobe).

On the other side, their cash cow is CAD/CAM, not 3D.

Cheers,
Mike

nthused
04-24-2007, 07:35 PM
The thing Autodesk has done very well is to take their strong - almost overwhelming - CAD market and transfer that to the 3d market. They did this years ago when selling 3d Studio. "Autodesk sells software for engineers and architects - professionals - they also sell a 3d animation program...therefore 3d Studio must be THE professional 3d animation software"

Their CAD line gave Autodesk a HUGE leg-up in the arch-viz market.

Also, they do (or did, last I heard) very well at placing their products into schools...hooking those poor children onto their products.

procyon99
04-24-2007, 10:24 PM
Guess NT is sooo nice!

free point Bug fixes, free Render Nodes, PLUS when we upgrade, WE GET FREE PROGRAMS!!

Upgraded to v[8], get DFX+, upgrade to 9, get VUE. I do love Newtek!

prospector
04-24-2007, 11:53 PM
the freebees on the video side are nice too.

bobakabob
04-25-2007, 02:31 AM
Yep a lot of folks tend to forget that even when taking into account its weaknesses Lightwave is such good value. The days when you had to remortgage your house to get into 3D are over thanks to Newtek's competitive pricing over the years... though most competitive apps are still pretty expensive to run.

bkmvlswe
04-25-2007, 11:14 AM
I did try 3DS max and maya before purchasing lightwave, thing is here in sweden Max costs 4 times the price of lightwave and that is without the tax that i have to pay, maya was around 7 times as costly so well lightwave seemed almost cheap :)

Been trying out 9.2 a bit but the application is complex and i'm a very new user :)

surfingmarmot
04-25-2007, 11:27 AM
If you buy the full version, you get a few superior features like the Navier-Stokes fluid dynamics capability, a whoel product written in their scripting laguage offering very flexible customizability, hair and fur effects, and a hsot of other subtle ones. And I would love to have those, but not for the price. Particualrly since stock Maya, from what I understand from reviewers, comes up short in rendering and you have to purchase better renders. If you are a big budget house, maybe money is no object. It certainly is for many of us. I looked around quite a bit before buying LightWave and, for the Mac platform, it was by far the best value for the money. Same reason I settled on Final Cut Pro instead of an Avid system.

kevman3d
04-28-2007, 09:50 PM
You know, I believe that 9.2 ships with FREE beer!

You can find plenty of it in the Dielectric node! Well, ok, so its beers law of light absorption and not the drinkable type, but it's free...

Sorry - I couldn't help myself when the opportunity arose to be a geek! :D

phillydee
04-28-2007, 10:28 PM
You know, I believe that 9.2 ships with FREE beer!

You can find plenty of it in the Dielectric node! Well, ok, so its beers law of light absorption and not the drinkable type, but it's free...

Sorry - I couldn't help myself when the opportunity arose to be a geek! :D

:beerchug: !!!