PDA

View Full Version : Another 9.2 thread...



joeloud
04-23-2007, 03:08 AM
I've had LW since 7 and I got a Mac Pro a few months back. Had a few questions regarding 9.2. (No, I'm not asking when it'll be available. I sat around wondering when I was going to receive 8, so I can wait.) I'm just checking if it's still provided with both a Mac and a PC version together (like 7 and 8 both were), and that they still have free upgrades (like 7 and 8 both had). So.. do they?

Also, I purchased 7 with a free upgrade to 8, but when 8 came, it was just a full version of 8. When I decide to purchase 9, if I buy an upgrade, will it be the same deal, with a full version of 9 (just providing I have my trusty dongle and serial number, etc.)? As in, I won't have to install 8 and then install 9 over it, like I _don't_ have to do for 8, correct?

As for the beta, do I have to own version 9 now to toy with the 9.2 beta? I tried out 9, and I didn't actually get any time at all to play with it, so I wasted my 30 days. Like I said, I do have 8, though.

I'm asking, because with my student discount, and buying an upgrade license, with the .pdf manual, it's only $100. Very reasonable price, so I'm most likely going to do it in the near future. I'm just curious about what to expect (and what not to)

Thanks

BazC
04-23-2007, 03:33 AM
First I'll answer the question you resisted asking, 9.2 will probably be released this week.

Yes it still includes Windows and Mac licenses.

Yes if you want you could have all versions of LW on the same drive, even the point releases they don't overwrite your installation.

Yes you have to own 9 to use the 9.2 beta. I presume they will release a demo of 9.2, you never know that may allow you to try it again?

The renderer is so much better in 9.2 than in 8 you just won't believe it, honestly! It's FAST! Many people who hardly used GI before use as their standard method now.

It will probably feel much more complex than 8, it badly needs organising but that will come.

kfinla
04-23-2007, 07:21 AM
The mac PPC version of 9.2 will come out this week with the Windows version... the Universal binary version for intel-macs.. and i believe more effeceint (faster running) PPC version will come out in another month or two when the UB is done for mac. (I hope the 64 bit OSX version isnt far off, not sure if leopard delays that)

The UB is supposed to support all but the ADB dongles so it should be a pretty simple install, just a new additional LW folder, no license transfers etc.

I'm planning to upgarde when 9.2 PPC ships this week.. hopefully it wont be an issue to install the 9.2 UB over the 9.2 CFM version if im not running an intel mac by that time.

joeloud
04-23-2007, 01:05 PM
Thanks for your input. So whether I buy a full install or an upgrade, I get the same exact discs, just no dongle or I have to prove I actually own 8? I just wanted to make sure it wasn't like Windows or anything, where, if you have say an XP upgrade disc, you'd have to have an older version of Windows installed in order to upgrade (I hated doing that, and I loved the fact that if I didn't want to bother installing 7, I could just install 8 by itself after a format).

Oh, and I just noticed that your system is the same as mine, BazC :)

BazC
04-23-2007, 01:26 PM
I don't think you have to have an earlier version installed to install the upgrade, I'm not absolutely sure though. I have no idea how Newtek verify you're a legitimate licensee, probably best check with customer service.

"Oh, and I just noticed that your system is the same as mine, BazC "

Nice isn't it? :D

joeloud
04-23-2007, 02:10 PM
Nice isn't it? :D

Yeah, I actually just got an extra 2gb of RAM this morning. I ordered it last week, but the stuff they sent me first was giving me ECC errors, so I had to RMA them. They also didn't send the right kind the first time, which I specifically didn't order because they were slightly more expensive - their justification for the substitution, I guess - but the heat sinks seemed a lot chinsier. They sent the kind I ordered this time, and I ran Rember when I put them in and it seems like everything's fine now. Anyways, thanks, I'll definitely check with CS about my LW purchase then.

JeffrySG
04-23-2007, 05:42 PM
So, when they release 9.2ppc for the mac are you guys going to install in on your macpro's? or are you going to wait for the UB version of 9.2 to get released to install it?

Just wondering as I just got 9, and have not gone through the whole 9.2 beta download/install process just yet, so I thought I'd just wait for 9.2 to be released as there are tons of things I need to learn anyway...

Jeff

BazC
04-24-2007, 01:40 AM
So, when they release 9.2ppc for the mac are you guys going to install in on your macpro's? or are you going to wait for the UB version of 9.2 to get released to install it?

Just wondering as I just got 9, and have not gone through the whole 9.2 beta download/install process just yet, so I thought I'd just wait for 9.2 to be released as there are tons of things I need to learn anyway...

Jeff

Yes I shall install it, it's useful for comparing bugs in the UB. The UB will be my workhorse though unless any serious bugs raise their heads!