PDA

View Full Version : Inside LW9 Book - question

Garyrw
04-21-2007, 09:51 AM
Hey,

I was working through the section on Node Editor in Dan Ablan's Inside Lightwave v9 (seems pretty cool so far) and then I did the first section (torus) fine. Then I went to the second and it asked me to load the "Capsules" lws file off the DVD. I tried, but I get an error "You need a newer version of Lightwave."? Can't find any new updates as of yet (still using 9.0 version).

Anyone come across this yet? Or know what might be wrong?

Thanks!
~3DG.

Bytehawk
04-21-2007, 03:24 PM
you should sign up to the lw9.2 open beta and get the latest version. It's really worth it

Surrealist.
04-21-2007, 05:40 PM
Hey,

I was working through the section on Node Editor in Dan Ablan's Inside Lightwave v9 (seems pretty cool so far) and then I did the first section (torus) fine. Then I went to the second and it asked me to load the "Capsules" lws file off the DVD. I tried, but I get an error "You need a newer version of Lightwave."? Can't find any new updates as of yet (still using 9.0 version).

Anyone come across this yet? Or know what might be wrong?

Thanks!
~3DG.

Yeah that's right, they included 9.2 stuff in that book. So I guess you'll have to sign up. :)

Thing is from 9.2 on they have stopped backward compatibility on saved scenes. You can load 9.0 in 9.2 but 9.0 won't load 9.2. Something to do with breaking away from the old core. A very positive thing.

Check here:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58665

Also I think the official release is next week.

Garyrw
04-22-2007, 06:30 AM
Yeah that's right, they included 9.2 stuff in that book. So I guess you'll have to sign up. :)

Thing is from 9.2 on they have stopped backward compatibility on saved scenes. You can load 9.0 in 9.2 but 9.0 won't load 9.2. Something to do with breaking away from the old core. A very positive thing.

Check here:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58665

Also I think the official release is next week.

Really? Wow- and it's just a simple tutorial (I was looking to learn more on the node editing- looks really cool so far!) and the software on the disc comes with 9.0.0 trial (which is what I have sans the "trial" part!) :)

Thanks, as always, for your insights!

P.S. I'll keep my eyes peeled for 9.2.0 any one of these days (didn't see a link to sign up but that may be because the commercial release is about to happen.)

Thanks again!
~3DG.

Garyrw
04-22-2007, 08:27 AM
Brilliant! You guys are the best. 9.2 version did the trick! Now I just need to get the "real-deal" when it's out! :)

Thanks guys!
~3DG.

dablan
04-22-2007, 08:16 PM
Glad you guys got it worked out. We're adding this info to the publisher's site, just in case others have the same question.

Thanks for the support. Note, there's more node instruction later in the book and on the videos on the DVD-ROM.

towfish
04-23-2007, 07:51 AM
Hey Garyrw, I notice your location is Boston. I'm about 20 min north of bean town. Have you taken any "live" courses. I'm just wondering if there is a local LW course that could help me get going a little faster. I have lots of questions but hate to bog down the forum with every little thing.

Thanx

Surrealist.
04-23-2007, 01:46 PM
Hey Garyrw, I notice your location is Boston. I'm about 20 min north of bean town. Have you taken any "live" courses. I'm just wondering if there is a local LW course that could help me get going a little faster. I have lots of questions but hate to bog down the forum with every little thing.

Thanx

If you have a lot of questions, make sure and have your help file content loaded from the CD ROM. This is different than the LW content. This is a standard F1 help file complete with search function. It is basically the manual configured as an online help file so you can search for an item you have a question about.

Also lots of stuff is practical knowledge not easy to find so please feel free to ask here.

towfish
04-23-2007, 03:02 PM
Thanx Surrealist, I feel guilty bugging you with the same old problem. I got a chance to play with the add edges tool this weekend and I'm able to use the tool now....thanx! BUT my counterbore looks like crap! I spent time practicing and really gave it a solid effort preping the polys. I then decided to skip it and move on to the rest of my project and figure I'll get back to it. Well, there are counterbores on curves all over this thing. I will be doing a lot of mechanical type stuff so this will be an ongoing issue. It's somewhat embarrassing to struggle with such a simple thing. I've been solid modeling for years and don't like to feel helpless to a piece of software. I feel a class would do wonders..

Garyrw
04-24-2007, 07:25 AM
I'm about 20 min north of bean town. Have you taken any "live" courses. I'm just wondering if there is a local LW course that could help me get going a little faster.

I haven't yet found any "live" courses, but I don't know if I am quite ready for that plunge (actually, yeah I probably am). Maybe once my car is paid off! :)

Art colleges usually offer something like that, like MassArt, etc.

The tutorials are pretty good. Do yourself a favor: get Inside LightWave 8 (there is a great step-by-step tutorial in Chapter 1) and also the version for LW9... the step-by-step is on DVD there but I like reading the tutorials because- well, my monitor would look funny with lots of little yellow lines and pen marks on it!) :D Barnes & Noble in Burlington and Borders in Peabody (or downtown on State St. (ah, State St. Borders....mmm :)) good places to try since you are north (probably about as far north as I am!)

Thanks for the info Dan! Appreciate it (I thought I broke it but I'm glad to see I did not... :)) and I think that your books are great! Very helpful!

~3DG.
:lwicon:

Surrealist.
04-24-2007, 11:03 AM
Thanx Surrealist, I feel guilty bugging you with the same old problem. I got a chance to play with the add edges tool this weekend and I'm able to use the tool now....thanx! BUT my counterbore looks like crap! I spent time practicing and really gave it a solid effort preping the polys. I then decided to skip it and move on to the rest of my project and figure I'll get back to it. Well, there are counterbores on curves all over this thing. I will be doing a lot of mechanical type stuff so this will be an ongoing issue. It's somewhat embarrassing to struggle with such a simple thing. I've been solid modeling for years and don't like to feel helpless to a piece of software. I feel a class would do wonders..

I don't mind you posting images of your progress and we can really zero in on the problem.

Usually it is just something very simple.

Things are boring around here without a good subpatch problem to solve every now and again.:)

This is what the forum is for, an inexpensive way to get some of the best Lightwave minds (not me) to help you. There are people here that have been doing this a long time and you always get a a good set of answers. I have just been doing a heap of subpatch lately so a) I am real interested in solving problems with it and b) always looking for a challenge.

A school is not a bad idea, just saying don't feel bad about coming here for answers till you get it right. The reason I put in the time is because so many have helped me and I am sure I can speak for others that this is just a way of giving back.

towfish
04-24-2007, 02:32 PM
Thanx a bunch Surr. I will post on my thread soon with my progress.

Thanx to you too Gary, nice to see the weather coming around finally!

Surrealist.
04-24-2007, 04:36 PM
Looking forward to it.

Here's another thread with some subpatch info.

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63618&highlight=letter

Garyrw
04-24-2007, 08:08 PM
Your welcome! I'm glad to see the weather getting better too!

Yeah, SubPatch problems really liven the board up! Surrealist is good - he helped me a lot with my locomotive wheel (See avatar) and somewhere buried in here is a thread I started about locomotive wheels... :)

~3DG.
:lwicon:

Surrealist.
04-24-2007, 11:33 PM
Here:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62578&highlight=locomotive+wheels