PDA

View Full Version : XDCAM EX compatible MXF support?

vncnt
04-21-2007, 01:20 AM
The new Sony camera XDCAM EX is announced at NAB and it seems to be very affordable to me (< $8000). At least I'm buying one as a B-camera for my day job but I might also buying one myself.

I've heard it's XDCAM compatible.
Will these Sony XDCAM MXF files be supported by the announced SE-update?

ted
04-21-2007, 04:12 PM
I own the Panasinic HVX so take that into consideration. But I watched the Sony song and dance about this camera. It was more of a slam on Panasonic, (without saying the P word), saying their technology was "DEAD" then bragging on the new Sony camera.

For some reason they are still using the GOP method of recording?? But have no fear, like so many other Sony products over the last 10 years, they will drop that cold with no support soon. :D

The following links are from mostly P2 users, but you might enjoy reading them.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=94797
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=94265

bobgilles
04-23-2007, 05:12 PM
One thing we do know is; XDCAM is not dead and a working pro editor will eventually come across this format often if he is working in the broadcast news and indy documentary client pool.
Sony has strong marketing with regional broadcasters and I have found myself faced with finishing a job on Avid this month that I really wanted to use Speededit on because of this.

vncnt
04-29-2007, 03:59 PM
I hope the 3x 1/2" 1.5Mp imagers and the lens are worth waiting for.

And I agree with you that long GOP is not the best format.
File format is important but it can not improve a low-res noisy picture.

The optical resolution of the HXV200 should be 2x better, 10-bit HDMI should be standard (I can not afford HD-SDI recording) handy during studio shoots, the P2 cards should fit in the ExpressCard slot in my notebook (I will not buy a new one again) and the price of the P2 cards should 3x lower.

Clearly this is not the case.

I simply need maximum resolution in real 25p or 50p, without the pixel-shift related noise and light dependent resolution and the price should be below EUR 10.000,-

During my latest DV-tape projekt I nearly lost 40 minutes of extremely unique material because of tape running problems. Never again !!!!

XDCAM EX should be supported by SE before buying that camera.

ScorpioProd
04-30-2007, 11:08 PM
XDCAM EX and XDCAM HD are definately in my future. XDCAM and XDCAM HD already are building substatial installed bases. XDCAM HD being a fully approved broadcast format for HD on Discovery Channel and other network level HD uses.

And as for the file formats in XDCAM EX and XDCAM HD, they are identical, so the same SpeedEDIT support is required in SpeedEDIT for either of them.

Not sure what Sony professional products Ted is talking about, but my history with Sony has shown excellent long term support. My DSR-300A is still my best camcorder, it came out over 10 years ago when Panasonic and JVC totally were ignoring the high-end event market when the world went to DV. Only Sony realized that long recording times were useful. Seems like I see the same thing today if I compare the XDCAM EX to Panasonic's solution. Would I rather have Long-GOP than short record times? Oh yeah. And equally important, do I need the low light sensativity of 1/2" chips that 1/3" will never give me? Oh yeah.

It would be really bad business for Newtek to only support one manufacturer's MXF format. Everything starts with acquistion, that's a primary choice, a NLE is a secondary choice, IMHO.

ted
04-30-2007, 11:31 PM
Don't get me wrong. I've been a Sony fan for most of my 30 years in the industry. It's just the last 5-7 years I've been seeing Sony falling behind, or maybe more fair, other manufacturers catch and surpass Sony in many product lines. I do like the 1/2" CMOS censors!
And then there is "my perception" that HDV or 4:2:0 is seen as the S-VHS of HD by many professionals in my experience.
But I know many news organizations going with the Sony cameras, so like with so many things, it's up to the user.

But Yes, Sony has enough penetration and there are more XD products being developed, so yes, it should be implemented into SE as soon as NewTek can implement it.

vncnt
05-06-2007, 05:29 AM
When I saw HD footage for the first time I realized that the 4:2:0 vs 4:2:2 discussion for 24/25/30/50/60p images is less relevant for HD.

During the upcoming transition years viewers will be thrilled by the enhanced resolution alone. Full 1080p 4:4:4 support under $/EUR 10.000 is not expected in the next few years. So I will not spend time searching for it.

I think it's very professional behaviour to decide for the most economical camera for the job: needed camera features vs expected film profits. If these two factors are out of balance you really need to reconsider the setup of your project.