PDA

View Full Version : LWO to photoshop CS3

jthompson3d
04-20-2007, 10:09 AM
Has anyone heard of anyone working on a import for lwo to Photoshop CS3?

Already Poser, Daz3d and some other have working import/export programs for CS3, but I havn't heard of a Lightwave one yet, anyone hear anything?

kane
04-20-2007, 10:21 AM
check out the lightwave home page...side bar...rendition!!!! :)

jthompson3d
04-20-2007, 10:44 AM
no not that, i know about that... :bangwall:

inside of Photoshop you can now import 3d object such as obj and 3ds.......lwo isn't on the list, is anyone making a import for this?

By the way, the new CS3 is going to put all the 3d paint programs out of business, wow, you need to see it in action.

So has anyone heard?

Mr Maze
04-20-2007, 10:56 AM
I would rather not see Adobe put any more small companies out of business. Or buy them.

dkujanson
04-20-2007, 05:06 PM
Check out the free tutorials from digital-tutors that demonstrate what the new Photoshop features can do:

http://www.digitaltutors.com/digital_tutors/video_category.php?vcat=pscs3

JeffrySG
04-20-2007, 07:05 PM
^interesting workflow... I still think it would have been SOOOOooo much better if you could actually paint on the 3d model to create your texture maps, but I imagine this will help a lot of people either way...

thanks for the link...

Jeff

Lottmedia
04-20-2007, 08:11 PM
In one of the official adobe videos it shows them painting directly on on the 3d object ( a building and brushig on a brick texture) My CS3 is in the mail so I cant confirm but I remember seeing that

Casey :Cat:

hrgiger
04-20-2007, 10:17 PM
I could see being able to paint on the object in PS. But can you export that yet in UV information? Probably not. I'm sure it's coming though...

Mr Maze
04-21-2007, 12:10 AM
If you could export the updated maps / save the 3d object after doing what they showed in the video it would be a very nice workflow solution. I noticed that when they opened the map the file had a .psb extension on it - that is the file format that photoshop uses for "smart objects" which in some cases let you make changes without changing the original.

JeffrySG
04-21-2007, 01:37 AM
^interesting workflow... I still think it would have been SOOOOooo much better if you could actually paint on the 3d model to create your texture maps, but I imagine this will help a lot of people either way...

thanks for the link...

Jeff

OOPSSSS... sorry for the double post....

jin choung
04-21-2007, 03:41 AM
hrgiger,

i can't imagine that painting on an object NOT being attached to a UV map... how else does it know where the texels go?

technologically speaking, i don't think there is any other conceivable way.... zb3 has a feature where you can just color the micropolys (i can't imagine why this would be desirable unless you didn't care about the 3d object, just the resulting 2d image) but other than that, there aren't any other options i don't think.

jin

cresshead
04-21-2007, 05:30 AM
hi
well ive looked at the 3 small sample tutorial clips on photoshop cs3 extended at digital tutors and i'm somewhat underwhelmed at the moment...

3dmodels in photoshop:-
yup you can move scale rotate you 3d model...but it's only a open gl view..no renderer is 'built in' into photoshop [though these will be one from newtek based on lightwave]..
so for image ''quality'' and using a 3d model 'as is' fr om what i see it's not really much use except for making a proxie psd file...
scale, rotate and move have no gizmos in the interface btw....

texturing in photoshop:-
...was expecting much more than this!...you paint on a 2d flattened out image then hit save....err...am i missing something here as you can already DO this with ANY paint program!....utter rubbish imo currently!..not exactly a zbrush, modo or bodypaint killer app is it....looks similar to working with tvpaint [www.tvpaint.com] and it's free lwo/uv viewer except you DON'T get a uv overlay to help you!...
if you using max i'd use ghost painter which is actually usable!...
or use combustion to paint your 3d model....
texturing in photoshop extended looks like an frakking waste currently...unless there's not showing a whole raft of stuff is just a gimmick....

so...without a 'renderer it's a dead duck imo....newtek may just save the day with their low coast render plugin though...

bottom line texture painting looks from these videos to be utter crap!

BazC
04-21-2007, 09:03 AM
hi
well ive looked at the 3 small sample tutorial clips on photoshop cs3 extended at digital tutors and i'm somewhat underwhelmed at the moment...

3dmodels in photoshop:-
yup you can move scale rotate you 3d model...but it's only a open gl view..no renderer is 'built in' into photoshop [though these will be one from newtek based on lightwave]..
so for image ''quality'' and using a 3d model 'as is' fr om what i see it's not really much use except for making a proxie psd file...
scale, rotate and move have no gizmos in the interface btw....

texturing in photoshop:-
...was expecting much more than this!...you paint on a 2d flattened out image then hit save....err...am i missing something here as you can already DO this with ANY paint program!....utter rubbish imo currently!..not exactly a zbrush, modo or bodypaint killer app is it....looks similar to working with tvpaint [www.tvpaint.com] and it's free lwo/uv viewer except you DON'T get a uv overlay to help you!...
if you using max i'd use ghost painter which is actually usable!...
or use combustion to paint your 3d model....
texturing in photoshop extended looks like an frakking waste currently...unless there's not showing a whole raft of stuff is just a gimmick....

so...without a 'renderer it's a dead duck imo....newtek may just save the day with their low coast render plugin though...

bottom line texture painting looks from these videos to be utter crap!

I agree it doesn't look that useful to 3d artists, it might be cool to send a low res version of a model to a client to play with though? On the other hand that might be asking for trouble lol! :D

Lottmedia
04-21-2007, 05:58 PM
OK, boys, listen to me this time. Look at the adobe videos and they show painting directly on the object, not a uv layer. Remember these digital tutor guys may not have it right. Does anyone have PSE yet to test? Everyone is downing it's new capabilities based on a video that frankly I dont know it's credibility yet (never herd of them) Like I said, Adobe's videos show working directly on the model like bodypaint and such

Casey :cat:

meatycheesyboy
04-21-2007, 06:23 PM
OK, boys, listen to me this time. Look at the adobe videos and they show painting directly on the object, not a uv layer. Remember these digital tutor guys may not have it right. Does anyone have PSE yet to test? Everyone is downing it's new capabilities based on a video that frankly I dont know it's credibility yet (never herd of them) Like I said, Adobe's videos show working directly on the model like bodypaint and such

Can you post a link to a video showing this? I've searched Adobe's site and can only find one video that shows 3d in photoshop and it doesn't show any texture painting being done. It shows a 3d can with a label being wrapped on it but does not show any editing of that label afterwards.

I'm not doubting you, I just can't find the video you're talking about.

cresshead
04-21-2007, 07:11 PM
show us the goods dude!
btw digital tutors make some well respected training...

AbnRanger
04-21-2007, 07:46 PM
show us the goods dude!
btw digital tutors make some well respected training...
I'm thinking that he may be confusing what he saw regarding a new plugin for PS that let's you paint in 3D space...Electric Iris, I think. I couldn't get it to work, and most other people who have tried it aren't all that impressed.

Lottmedia
04-23-2007, 05:49 AM
Alright, first, not "he" and no, I can't actually post a link because it's part of that big Creative License flash extravaganza on their site. It was in the conversations with people part where they had a designer, a photographer and production designers and such and if you clicked on them they talked about how wonderful CS3 is. It was with the two architects but I cant find it on the site anymore. Looking now.....not finding it but it was there. I'll look more later but I think a lot of the content has moved or is gone now

Lottmedia
04-23-2007, 05:51 AM
got it, go here
http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/family/
and the flash banner at the top of the page, select the archects and watch it

cresshead
04-23-2007, 08:01 AM
er. i saw some brick texture 'updating' in the background...not exactly'painting on the model' though...

jthompson3d
04-23-2007, 08:25 AM
Hey everyone,

You can paint on both the 3D object and the flat 2d texture map, either way you choose....you then can export that texture map back out to use in your 3d program.

This is the best video that shows it, if you can stand the guy. :thumbsup:

http://av.adobe.com/russellbrown/SeaDragonSM.mov

bloontz
04-23-2007, 10:17 AM
I don't see any direct painting on a model in that clip. Are people halucinating this because they want it so bad? Can someone show a clip that clearly illustrates painting directly on a model?

jthompson3d
04-23-2007, 10:47 AM
I don't see any direct painting on a model in that clip. Are people halucinating this because they want it so bad? Can someone show a clip that clearly illustrates painting directly on a model?

Yea my bad, i just realized what I was watching.... :(

I was remembering the new plugin that came out about the same time Photoshop CS3 came out, it's by Electric Iris, a plugin for CS3.....

Electric Iris plugin does everything everyone wants, can paint on both 3d object and texture map and supports lwo, 3ds, max, etc etc file formats.http://www.electriciris.com/

It's nice but don't got $299 for it :thumbsdow

bloontz
04-23-2007, 11:19 AM
Even that doesn't seem to paint directly on the model. It looks like an implementation similar to Zbrush's projection master. I'll stick with Zbrush for now, maybe Photoshop will beef up its 3D support in a future upgrade but I'm not that excited at this point.

prospector
04-23-2007, 11:45 AM
looked to me like he was painting on a UV map type of deal

archijam
07-13-2007, 12:05 PM
This is the best video that shows it, if you can stand the guy. :thumbsup:
http://av.adobe.com/russellbrown/SeaDragonSM.mov

Emboss??? Is this guy for real?

I love hearing from a photoshop 'expert' how lighting works ...

The texture editing rocks (at least in the video) ..

j.

iconoclasty
07-13-2007, 12:41 PM
No, you can't paint directly on a model. You can paint on the UV map, save that file and see your 3d preview update. That's it.

gerry_g
07-14-2007, 05:35 PM
You can do both but your wasting your time cos the only two formats (3ds & obj) are sufficiently broken/never implemented properly in the fist place to be able to transfer anything meaningful out of LW into PS, topic was discussed here

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=568893#post568893