PDA

View Full Version : Now thats what I call a flat screen!

munky
04-20-2007, 08:57 AM
Hey just as apple have dramatically slashed their monitor prices, a friend sent me this link about the latest and most seriously flat screen by Sony!

check it out

http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/12/sony-1-000-000-1-oled-tv-on-sale-in-2007/

just waiting for my telly to blow up so I have an excuse!

regards

paul

mattclary
04-20-2007, 09:07 AM
It will be a while before these things are big and/or affordable.

I think Sony plans to fund further development with the exorbitant amount they will charge for this tiny little thing. ;)

munky
04-20-2007, 09:16 AM
Yes I would think that the thickness of the wad of cash needed is relative to the thinness of the screen!

regards

paul

iconoclasty
04-20-2007, 09:34 AM
It is indeed very flat, but it's firmly molded into a huge awkward base. Doesn't seem to really save any space and it's not like you can mount it on a wall or anything cool.

Bog
04-20-2007, 12:06 PM
Does seem a bit daft to go make something with such a widdy footprint, then put it on a huge extruded paperclip, doesn't it?

regularfry
04-20-2007, 01:20 PM
It's for the power supply. There's only so much you can do to squeeze them. Still, why they didn't make it a brick, I don't know.

Actually, thinking about it, it's probably very intentional. You wouldn't notice how thin it was if it was just hanging from the wall - you'd assume it was inset. You also wouldn't be able to get such a wide viewing angle. By forcing an offset from whatever happens to be behind it, they make it easier for you to see the whole screen edge-on, and marvel at their technical superiority.

Crying shame it's a Sony, though.

iconoclasty
04-20-2007, 01:57 PM
It's for the power supply. There's only so much you can do to squeeze them. Still, why they didn't make it a brick, I don't know.

Actually, thinking about it, it's probably very intentional. You wouldn't notice how thin it was if it was just hanging from the wall - you'd assume it was inset. You also wouldn't be able to get such a wide viewing angle. By forcing an offset from whatever happens to be behind it, they make it easier for you to see the whole screen edge-on, and marvel at their technical superiority.

Crying shame it's a Sony, though.

Yeah, they put the power supply and other components in the base, because they can't actually make an entire monitor that thin. Hence the uselessness of making it that thin. It has no extra functionality with that giant base. At least standard flat panels can be put on an arm or a wall, this "thinner" one seems hardly better than a crt when it comes to size.

And I agree, since it's a Sony no one should be getting one anyway.

Exception
04-20-2007, 04:19 PM
And I agree, since it's a Sony no one should be getting one anyway.

Agreed. And if they had been smart, they would have hung that screen up, and made a long cable to an inconspicuous box somewhere as a PSU.

But noo. Sony had to make it into a jumping jack. And then rest that on an inclined surface, and then take the photograph with the vertical misaligned with the vertical of the photograph's edge. Nice.

voriax
04-20-2007, 10:20 PM
Just out of curiosity, what's with all the anti-sony sentiment?

Bog
04-21-2007, 06:21 AM

Speaking as a gamer, their crappy attitude to, eg, early importers of hardware (notably the PSP and PS3), shutting down import companies like Lik-Sang, Snooty and nasty customer relations, (such as Ken Kutaragi's "You must work very hard to own a PS3" comments) and generally acting like their customers are being done a favour by being allowed to own Sony kit.

Some of us take unkindly to that, given that without customers there wouldn't be a company.

iconoclasty
04-21-2007, 10:26 AM
Yes, they crap on their customers. There was the whole rootkit scandal with their audio CDs now there's all this stuff about their DVD's being so DRM'ed they won't even play on dvd players legally. They assume all their customers are criminals and treat them as such.

toby
04-21-2007, 03:23 PM
Agreed. And if they had been smart, they would have hung that screen up, and made a long cable to an inconspicuous box somewhere as a PSU.

But noo. Sony had to make it into a jumping jack. And then rest that on an inclined surface, and then take the photograph with the vertical misaligned with the vertical of the photograph's edge. Nice.
True, but I think regularfry nailed it, it was for show-off purposes. I'm sure they could crank out a wall-mount in short order, the technology they're showing off is the ability to make it thin and the viewing angle.

They better get the size up to more than 32" quickly though, or they'll have to shelve it; nobody needs 1M to 1 contrast ( :eek: ) on a computer screen, and few people want to buy something new to watch movies on that's below 32".

Exception
04-21-2007, 04:05 PM

Sony gear.... It's technology's been invented by others*, with cunning patent evasion strategies applied, produced in mass before the original inventers can do it, then with such bad fabrication tolerances that most consumer gear breaks down in 1~3 years, engineered to break just out of the warranty period, smeared all over the market by unfathomable marketing campaigns so every kid drools with the thought of owning one just by association and nero linguistic programming techniques. Then there's their trade practices, as others have touched upon... and so on.

Ever owned a sony cd player or a cd player with a sony transport mechanism? Even until this day they use their flawed plastic-on-plastic gear system which will guarantee failure after several years of solid use. Get something with a philips or teac transport instead: years of pleasure. It's a nice example of sony's philosophy (or lack thereof).

* Philips's slogan for a while was: "Philips invents for you." In the industrial design school I was at the time we soon made that into : "Philips invents for you. Sony says thanks."

mattclary
04-21-2007, 08:05 PM
SInce it is only 11 inches in size, might as well put the PS in the base. Also, it's only 11 inches, so that probably makes the base look bigger too.