PDA

View Full Version : LightWaves 8 to 9x open gl is slow and other stuff

Tyler007
04-19-2007, 11:45 AM
I am sure I am going to get a lot of negative feed back from this post. But one thing I have noticed is Lightwaves Open Gl is slow. I can import the model I have created in lightwave into Max from a FXB and see a great speed difference in display. Lightwaves open gl display is cleaner. But in all honesty I rather have a faster display then a slow one when creating animations. I really hope NewTek works on ways to enhance the display in LightWave. Plus make better character animation tools because in all honesty lightwave is really lacking there. You can’t even compare it to character studio. Because after using character studio I won’t ever use Lightwave to animater a character again. But I’m not totally downing here. I still feel lightwave has one of the best modelers around and the texturing engine Lightwave has puts 3D max to shame. I just hate using 2 3D apps to do things so I am hoping lightwave steps up to the plate and takes the show one of these days.

Phil
04-19-2007, 12:18 PM
There's a lot still to come for the 9 series. It has already been stated that the main work for 9.2 has been on the renderer and surfacing systems. What's left is fairly obvious - animation and modelling.

What has been holding LW back for the longest time would appear to be the way that the geometry calculations are performed. Editing or deforming dense meshes in either Layout or Modeler shows this quite clearly. I'm assuming that this is one of the high priority items for the next LW 9.x update. The gains from tackling this are obvious to all, but resources and priorities dictated that the renderer came first.

I have had increasing faith in the development team since 9.0 surfaced. If you need to animate elsewhere, no-one's going to hold that against you. :)

BazC
04-19-2007, 12:36 PM
Yup, LW9 is improving by leaps and bounds! OpenGL is already much improved and I'm sure will get better still. I can't wait to see what they come up with for character animation, the new team is doing amazing work!

mattclary
04-20-2007, 01:25 PM
Tyler, are you using 9.0 or 9.2? You should see better speed in 9.2.

Tiger
04-20-2007, 02:23 PM
Good speed here in 9.2 :thumbsup:

pixym
04-20-2007, 08:25 PM
This issue has already been reported and fixed in 9.2 (I do not remember the exact OŖ number).

Best

Tyler007
05-01-2007, 07:49 PM
As long as you triple the polygons you are fine in FXB format. Its a deferent speed difference If you compare the 2 with the same geometry but its something I am sure they will change in the future. The only thing I hope they really change in the future is the character tools the ability to quickly create a biped in max in a time crunch and make it move quickly is great. But like I said the way max does a lot of other stuff is just :thumbsdow Like the facy that it only allows like only 10 characters in the material editor to be displayed and the whole texturing engine layout just blows.

Exception
05-01-2007, 09:23 PM
Did you solve your OpenGL speed problems thought?
Are you using 9.2?

Your OpenGL settings can be quite influential... what are they?

Tyler007
05-02-2007, 08:18 AM
Na Im using 9.0 as of right now. trying to get the IT guy to upgrade to 9.2. Is it a free upgrade from 9? if not I don’t thing they will do it for a little while. But the open gl is a speed issue in modular and from back dated versions of lightwav as well. Most of the other aps use direct X as a shader but it would be nice to be able to chose.

Tyler007
05-02-2007, 08:37 AM
Sorry let me clarify myself Layout does draws faster than modular and this is a problem I have always ran into when you have a high polygon model and you are trying to place something be nice to have a building box option in modular or speed updates there. But I will get on the IT guy to install 9.2 ASAP to see if it fixes the problems.

Tyler007
05-02-2007, 10:23 AM
Yea thatís much better I got the IT guy to install 9.2 :thumbsup:

Exception
05-03-2007, 07:31 AM
Yea thatís much better I got the IT guy to install 9.2 :thumbsup:

Er yea... that and probably the single best update your LightWave has ever had with 9.2. You should check out the ton of new features. 9.0 -> 9.2 felt more significant to me than 8.5 -> 9.0.

Andyjaggy
05-03-2007, 06:56 PM
9.2 rocks my world. Love it. Can't wait to sew what Newtek has up their sleeves for the next point release. Anyone remember the update from 7.5 to 8 :) Those were sad days.