PDA

View Full Version : external usb 400gig HD [uk]

cresshead
04-19-2007, 10:42 AM
currys digital is now SAME price as amazon.co.uk
got my 400gig usb2.0 external HD just £84.95

plug n play...mac and pc fanless cooling design so it's silent!
fat32 format gives 372gig's storage space i'll leave it fat32
as i want to use it as a master data drive for sgi320, sgi230, mac mini, dell, sony and acer pc's
so will need to be able to plug into any of those pc's.

install was painless..just plugged in and turned on...done!
external Hd's are the way forward i thnk.

made by freecom

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Freecom-Drive-400GB-USB-2-silver/dp/B000HDUKA0/ref=sr_1_8/203-7176595-4835951?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1177000842&sr=1-8

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000HDUKA0.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_V45418353_AA280_.jpg

* Fast, low noise external USB 2.0 Hard Drive
* Stylish aluminium design, including LED hard drive capacity indicator
* No cooling fan = no noise!
* The easiest way to add extra storage capacity to your computer
* Includes Freecom Backup software for easy file backup
* Hot swappable, no need to turn off your computer
* No device ID's or terminations to worry about
* High quality, sleek design, only 20 x 11,5 x 4 cm
* Two years manufacturers warranty, free helpdesk support

gotta say a good purchase...much better than my other external which is a iomega 250gig...that has usb and firwire but also has a noisey fan!

:beerchug:

serge
04-19-2007, 04:04 PM
reported.

:p

BazC
04-20-2007, 02:11 AM
Very tempting!

acocq
04-20-2007, 03:56 AM
install was painless..just plugged in and turned on...done!
external Hd's are the way forward i thnk.

:beerchug:

I agree 100% ... it's fast (enough for most things) and easy.

But there are also some caveats to watch out for:

a.) Backing up data can become quite complex
b.) Speed will not match an internal drive (irrespective of the USB2 data transfer rate, since no caching is enabled for a removable drive, it would be slower in some instances)
c.) Driveletter assignment when switching between PCs needs to be managed
d.) Physical drive management is important if you own more than one (currently, I own 4 external drives and did NOT do this properly :foreheads ... so heed my words, not my deeds :D )

Cheers,
Andreas

cresshead
04-20-2007, 04:33 AM
I agree 100% ... it's fast (enough for most things) and easy.

But there are also some caveats to watch out for:

d.) Physical drive management is important if you own more than one (currently, I own 4 external drives and did NOT do this properly :foreheads ... so heed my words, not my deeds :D )

Cheers,
Andreas

what do you mean by Physical drive management?

starbase1
04-20-2007, 06:10 AM
I got a couple of 500 Gb drives last month, one for my music collection and one to back it up to! I rescued the last one just before it died...

I have others I use for LW content though, I tend to work on the hard drive, and archive off big image sequences to the USB once rendered. They still assemble into video at an acceptable speed over USB.

I have been a bit worried about tempterature - copying a few hundred Gb over in one go does make them VERY hot, which I guess cannot be good for them?

Nick

cresshead
04-20-2007, 06:19 AM
my new drive is for mainly 3d data content from lightwave, vue, 3dsmax, zbrush [z brush---when i install it and start to use it!] and combustion too...all the data will also be on the origional pc but this HD will be a sorta central area where my 5 pc's and a mac can dump/pull from models/scenes to as well as their own internal drive.

acocq
04-20-2007, 09:07 AM
what do you mean by Physical drive management?

By that I mean keeping track of multiple external drives and what is stored or installed on them ... sometimes there is such a thing as "too much of a good thing" ...

Because I did not properly manage what data was stored on which external drive, I ended up with a mess ... some LW downloads are on one drive, others on another ... some of my 3D stuff is on one drive, some on another :hey:

Meanwhile, I've managed to get that sorted out, but it would have been better if I had labeled them and used them accordingly (much like Starbase1 is doing) :).

Cheers,
Andreas

cresshead
04-21-2007, 03:20 PM
yeah...gotta now...i spent 3 hours today finding stuff on my pc and making sensible folders to keep them on the external HD...gotta be organised or there's no point eh!

habañero
04-21-2007, 04:15 PM
Shortly consider eSata and consider temperature of these drives -- basically if drive temperature climbs over 45-50 and particularly if it goes up and down a lot to this type of temperature, then drives are not supposed to last for a very long time. The solution is choosing cool drives and a working case, last I heard was that western digital generally have advantage with low heat and also acceptable general stability.

An eSata solution will give you around double to for cached data around ten times the bandwidth, while there can be more issues with this techology like hotplugging not working perfect, sleep not working perfect etc. It can also be directly useless for backup purposes since you in the case of problems want simple ways of accessing your data from computers without working eSata setup. Then luckily there are dual interface cabinets available.

A few other tidbits about eSata:

* for the case of 2.5 5400 drives the speed advantage of eSata isn't extremely convincing.
* do not convince with normal sata -- some drives have the type of plug that normally only exists inside the computer. it should say eSata explicitly.
* Cables can be expensive, keep in mind if you are looking a cheap case that doesn't include them.
* Google your eSata card before purchase

I have a very nice working setup now on my Macbook pro with a cheap but working sunsway eSata card and a 500Gb WD in a Stardom case that feature both usb and eSata, kickass. I hear wiebetech makes eSata cards for MBPs that work perfect though, I'll probably get one of those later.

cresshead
04-21-2007, 06:16 PM
well my iomega 250 external drive [usb 2 and firware connections] has worked really well over the last 2 year except the fan noise is abit annoying...this new drive is ''silent''....data stored on these drive is not under heavy day to day usage but for storing data from past projects and video tutorials mainly...internal drives are for live projects...and anther external [will buy another similar drive if this freecom is stable] will be a work drive eventually.

kopperdrake
04-22-2007, 01:46 PM
Cresshead - I've been running 2 of those 400Gb Freecoms for about 6 months now with no problems - I back up all of my old projects to one, then the other is a direct copy of that for safety. I got fed up with burning DVDs and having to pull old projects from a DVD when I needed to access it.

I wouldn't hesitate in getting another, especially at that price :) Thanks for the headsup :thumbsup:

cresshead
04-22-2007, 02:02 PM
thanks for the info!...on the reliability of these drives....amazon.co.uk also has good feedback on them too...will be getting another one and do a similar thing once i move from my freecom and iomega drive to 2 freecom drives

cheers!

PSegarra
04-23-2007, 09:41 AM
I just got a 500gb external seagate for $139.00 yesterday.

dweinkauf
04-23-2007, 03:09 PM
I see that Best Buy has a 750-gig Seagate external USB 2.0/e-Sata, 7200 rpm drive on sale for $295.99. I bought an external 500-gig Seagate external e-Sata for about $200 a month or so ago and am very happy with it.

bobakabob
04-23-2007, 03:36 PM
I've been pleasantly surprised by the reliability of Freecom, touchwood. It's lasted 3 years so far, no problems.