PDA

View Full Version : ProMac, 64 bit Windows XP and 64 bit LW9

Filmdesigner
04-19-2007, 03:13 AM
This is going to be interesting! I have decided to install Windows XP 64 on my (shiny) new ProMac and give the 64 bit LW 9 a whirl.

Anyone got advice? (I'm expecting a major drama but still hopeful).

Thanks.

(This Thread also appears in the PC Forum)

IgnusFast
04-19-2007, 07:21 AM
This is going to be interesting! I have decided to install Windows XP 64 on my (shiny) new ProMac and give the 64 bit LW 9 a whirl.

Anyone got advice? (I'm expecting a major drama but still hopeful).

Thanks.

(This Thread also appears in the PC Forum)

Nope - I'm running it on Vista 64 with the 64-bit version of FPrime 3.01 and I haven't had any significant issues.... It's nice being able to render with more than 2GB RAM!

kopperdrake
04-19-2007, 07:34 AM
Oh! You installed Vista 64 on your Mac Pro with no hiccups? There's something I never thought of doing!

IgnusFast
04-19-2007, 07:43 AM
Sorry, my post was a little off; the drivers supplied by Bootcamp 1.2 don't support Vista 64. I installed Vista 32 on my iMac and that's working fine - it's on my PC that I'm using Vista 64 day-to-day.

wellsichris
04-19-2007, 12:13 PM
i am currently typying on a macpro with xp64 and have been using LW64 on it. some advice.

get all the drivers ahead of time. boot camp drivers won't work. people have done it and if you google it. there are places that say where to get the drivers for the different components. if you are going for a triple boot, like I have setup here, it is very tricky and you have to have an additional internal hard drive to make it work. it takes a lot of finessing.

anyway, it works good, and the only limitation is, no eject key :) but everything else seems to work fine.

chris

p.s. xp32 only shows 2 gig of ram so xp64 really helps because it sees all 5 gig. of course osX shows all 5 aswell

BazC
04-19-2007, 12:43 PM
anyway, it works good, and the only limitation is, no eject key :) but everything else seems to work fine.

ReallY!? So how do you open the CD drawer when it's empty? :(

IgnusFast
04-19-2007, 12:44 PM
Right-click on the drive icon on the desktop or in Explorer and select Eject. :)

___mats___
04-19-2007, 06:00 PM
There is also a way to use more than 2gb (3gb) on win XP

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/PAEmem.mspx

BazC
04-20-2007, 01:05 AM
Right-click on the drive icon on the desktop or in Explorer and select Eject. :)

Ah! Of course :D

kite
05-01-2007, 01:34 AM
First thing I did when I had my 8core Mac Pro delivered was to try to install xp64 on it, but since the mac drivers said it didn't wanted to install, I thought it was impossible to use xp64...

I now use xp32 along with OS X, not for use with LW, but with Solidworks and Maxwell. Its a luxury that LW works in OS X, so I don't plan to use XP64 for that, but since it would be nice to use more RAM with SW for FEM-calc. I would like to have a 64-bit system for it.

Is there any "list of drivers" needed for xp64?
I'm not sure I manage to find a complete set, as I have not much experience with windows. I guess the drivers should match the ones on the Macintosh drivers cd, that boot camp made? but in 64 bits versions?
Any other needed?

Filmdesigner
05-08-2007, 07:46 PM
I installed XP64 and LW64 and after an initial hiccup with drivers (all I needed to do was install the display drivers and the ethernet controller) Windows updated the rest without trouble.

I was warned away from Vista due to it's heavy memory consumption.

Compared to my PowerPc G5 Quad 2,5 it runs 12.75% faster. That's a serious increase in speed. I was more than amused to set the test and watch the Mac bog down. I'm about to install the 64bit FPrime if I can find the spare cash to do so.

I'm looking forward to the 64bit Mac OS.

Filmdesigner
05-20-2007, 04:26 PM
That's 12.75 TIMES faster, not 12.75%!