PDA

View Full Version : Good CG magazines?

Steamthrower
04-18-2007, 10:25 PM
I'm planning on subscribing to some magazines soon. Are there are any particularly good/mainstream ones that I need to be sure to get. Related to 3D, Lightwave, filmmaking, and visual effects in general...

Thanks!

JeffrySG
04-18-2007, 10:30 PM
Some of the ones that I like and get:
Cinefex
Computer Graphics World
millimeter
DV

mikala
04-18-2007, 10:46 PM
As a LW user I don't miss out on HDRI magazine. Every issue has something useful in it.
ImagineFX is also great for Photoshop and Painter skill enhancement.

SplineGod
04-19-2007, 12:38 AM
I prefer 3DWorld over HDRI.

kopperdrake
04-19-2007, 02:19 AM
I prefer HDRI over 3D World.

;) Seriously though - 3D World is good for a general overview of the industry imho - lots of articles on new stuff released, movers and shakers, how such and such a campaign was made, HDRI is mostly in depth articles about something or other in CGI, with a reasonably high bias towards LW. WIth around 10-15 articles per mag you're sure to find at least 2 or 3 that are spot on, and these are really indepth.

I'd go for both to be honest - then drop one or both if you don't like :)

jin choung
04-19-2007, 02:21 AM
cinefx and 3dworld is what i read on a regular basis.

jin

Sarford
04-19-2007, 06:50 AM
I find Digital Production a perfect broad range magazine with a very professional attitude. Article range from CG and FX to broadcast.
Sadly its only in german so I don't know if you can read it.
HDRI is also a good one but its more a 'tutorial' magazine. Lay-out of HDRI is dreadfull by the way.

http://www.digitalproduction.com/

3dworks
04-19-2007, 07:27 AM
reading 3d world and hdri magazine (good content, but deserving an award for the worst layout!) here. i quit to read digital production over a year ago because i found the articles too superficial: nothing i couldnt find also for free on the web. it was a great magazine during the first years, but got more and more cinema-max-maya-centric in the 3d area over the last years, imo.

colkai
04-19-2007, 09:05 AM
Read 3DWorld here but finding it less and less useful for me personally.

JamesCurtis
04-19-2007, 10:54 AM
Here's a link to some PDF mags from the web. Some good stuff here, and some of it's free too.

http://store.itsartmag.com/iastore/catalogue.php

BTW, I buy 3DWorld each month. Would love to subscribe, but I can't manage the $100 or so [all at one time] to do it. Gotta eat, ya know!!

newsvixen8
04-19-2007, 11:30 AM
My list of monthly reading material: 3DWorld, HDRI, Computer Arts, Photoshop User, and the online mag 3D Creative, found at

http://www.3dcreativemag.com/

prospector
04-19-2007, 12:06 PM
I would like to subscribe to a LW specific (also includes the VT, SE, Aura) but whenever I subscribe to ANY mag for LW it goes into a blackhole and is wisked off to the Delta quadrant and is assimilated by the Borg, never to be seen again.
With subscription moiney along with it. :cursin:

Darth Mole
04-19-2007, 12:10 PM
I asked this question before, but would anyone be interested in buying a dedicated LW PDF mag? If you remove the print costs, it becomes much more viable.

Like 3d Attack for C4D.

norlight
04-19-2007, 12:40 PM
I would :)

evolross
04-19-2007, 02:27 PM
I've been reading Cinefex, Computer Graphics World, and 3DWorld.

I've found that Cinefex is really really in depth for each feature film/TV show it covers. It covers every nook and cranny of a production. (Which is great if you're into that.) I sometimes lose interest after the fifteenth page of coverage on a movie like "Stealth". It seems to hold my interest better if its about a movie I really liked (e.g. "300"). Also, CG is only a fraction of what it reports. Cinefex is heavy on model-making, mechanical rigging, make-up, etc. If you're deeply into feature film effects though, Cinefex is the way to go, although its expensive per issue and is only a quarterly. However each edition is like a book with plenty of pages, content, and beautiful pictures to keep you busy for three months.

I actually like Computer Graphics World better than Cinefex. It covers the same feature films, plus games (the recent article on EA's The Godfather game was excellent), new products, artist portfolios, shorts, and TV, but it's more brief but still in-depth. It's cheaper than Cinefex as well, and I like that it's a monthly. It doesn't however have many app-specific tutorials.

That's where 3DWorld comes in, it seems to have less major articles about a particular feature film or game, but it has more news-bytes, current events, and updates on specific apps. Then there is always has a lot of tutorials and digital content on the CD that it ships with (although a lot of that content can be BS stuff you'll never look at). I always find the magazine interesting, however it's also expensive because it's a UK import.

If I could pick one I would choose 3DWorld, then CGW, then Cinefex. Although now after reading the previous posts I want to check out HDRI. :thumbsup:

prospector
04-19-2007, 03:07 PM
but would anyone be interested in buying a dedicated LW PDF mag
I would too but along with every other mag I've invested in, it too would be sucked into the black hole and be assimilated by the borg, never to be seen again. :D

Silkrooster
04-19-2007, 03:50 PM
At the moment I have a subscribtion to HDRI(excellent LW articles including Protons), Creative Cow Mag(This baby is free and is about Adobe Products), and Layers(Adobe prod.)
Silk

Steamthrower
04-19-2007, 10:32 PM
Thanks all for the input. I'll probably try CGW and Cinefex, maybe some others.

And yes, I can read German, but seeing that tech articles are confusing enough for me in English... ;-)

jin choung
04-19-2007, 11:12 PM
btw,

my personal procedure for picking up any new field of study (and this included cg when i was getting started) is 3 books on the subject by three different authors and about 3-6 months of magazine reading on the subject to get a grasp on the "zeitgeist"....

i picked up still photography (back when we were using light meters... :) and lw that way.

jin

Silkrooster
04-19-2007, 11:57 PM
Best way to get to know if a book or mag is right for you is to go to a book store and look them over.
Silk

Steamthrower
04-20-2007, 05:37 AM
I've pretty much got the zeitgeist, I think, from years of reading e-zines and CGTalk and thousands of websites (I can tell a null from a nurb) but I've also found that nothing beats hard ink-on-paper text. Online, any old Joe can post in a forum (:)) or make a tutorial website or get published in an ezine, but if something goes to the expense of being printed it's bound to be pretty good.

hrgiger
04-20-2007, 07:05 AM
3D World blows.

I miss Newtek Pro. Too bad they ran off in the middle of the night with all of our money.

Steamthrower
04-20-2007, 08:24 AM
With the advent of fully digital printing, effectively replacing the offset process, books and magazines have become very cheap and easy to publish, anywhere from $1 to $5 an issue, depending on the quality of stock.

Unfortunately this means that starting a magazine is insanely easy; and so is ending a magazine!

Signal to Noise
04-20-2007, 09:46 AM
I subscribe to both 3D World (contrary to minority belief it doesn't 'blow' :p ) and HDRI Magazine which is the lovechild of HighEnd 3D & KeyFrame magazines.

Safe Harbor
04-20-2007, 10:19 AM
HDRI Magazine which is the lovechild of HighEnd 3D & KeyFrame magazines.

And KeyFrame was the spawn of Lightwavin'... :D