PDA

View Full Version : CG Society...

starbase1
04-18-2007, 09:53 AM
Hi All,
I was wondering if anyone had any comments on the value of becoming a member of the CG Society. I have been very impressed with the constructive feedback and help I have received in one of their challenges. But looking at the standard of much of the stuff there, I'm definitely way below the level of achievement of most of the stuff I see. I'm also not sure if I would gain a lot, (particularly as an amateur), over what is available on the web pages for free...

Anyone got any thoughts?
Nick

bobakabob
04-18-2007, 10:29 AM
Nick,

Their gallery / folio network is an effective way of displaying your work and artists with similar styles or interests can link up if they wish. I've taken advantage of a book discount recently which saved approx 30% of the membership fee. So it's looking good so far.

It's true there's some truly jaw dropping work on CGTalk. It's easy to be intimidated. "There's always someone better" as my mum used to say :) And these days they get younger and younger... However it's good to see such a broad spectrum of interests and levels from beginner to pro represented. Your abstract work is excellent and it would be great to see more of it on the forum. Let's see more Lightwave artists. And there's been some quality Poser work posted to a good reception (though not a user myself I'm a big fan of Richard Marchand's unique work)

I remember hearing a writer say, "If I'm daunted by the act of writing I'll set out to write a bad book, enjoy myself and it usually turns out fine."