PDA

View Full Version : Bone Weights file size ?

jerr3d
04-18-2007, 09:29 AM
Afte I created the skelegons, I applied this command in Modeler (LW 7.5) :

Map/Weights & Color/Bone Weights

I then noticed my .lwo had increased from 5mb to 45mb!

What happened? Now the file is too big to load into Layout ; . ;

The model I am trying to rig is 98,000 polys

I am following a tutorial, so i dont know exactly whats going on

thanks

Dodgy
04-18-2007, 09:54 AM
Well for each of your vertices you're storing a 3 value vmap PER BONE on your mesh. You might want to do weighting in Vertex paint as it has tools for removing 0 weight values from vertices, as well as other useful tools for weight painting.

In LW though it is preferable to do without weightmaps, since they are optional with LW bones.

Alternatively, if you're having problems separating the head from the body (for example), you can paint just two weight maps, one for head and one for body, and assign all your body bones to the body map and all your head bones to the head map, and that will limit their influences.

SplineGod
04-18-2007, 10:11 AM
I agree. I would rig without the weight maps. Check your deformations with just bones first to determine where your mesh might be deforming badly. From there add a few hold bones. In the end youll find that you may not need any weight maps or much simpler ones as dodgy suggested.
Also thats a lot of polys to try and push around with bones, weights etc.
Weight maps will also slow down your rig. I would consider animating with a proxy character to speed things up.

jerr3d
04-18-2007, 11:51 AM
Thanks i will skip the weight maps lol

and will try the proxy character also
this is actually my second attempt to rig this mesh
I had the first in Layout and yes it was very slughish