PDA

View Full Version : one license.key for multiple machines

Soth
04-18-2007, 02:19 AM
Hi,
I'm maintaining Lightwave installations in company and we just bought two new Lightwave seats.
I'm want to install Lightwave on network directory to make configuration changes, plugin upgrades and Lightwave upgrades much easier.
But Iím wondering if one license.key file with all licence numbers (just in new lines) on network installed Lightwave will work.
Cheers
Thomas

BeeVee
04-18-2007, 08:12 AM
Yes, should do. I have about sixteen lines in my license.key file (for testing several dongles on one machine, rather than the other way around, but still...)

B

shepherd
04-19-2007, 09:01 AM
Not really a supported configuration but here are some things to keep an eye on:

With LW9 plugins should automatically scan when you launch the program. Launching across the network will result in the use of UNC naming conventions in the config files.

The hub will draw paths to the executables remotely but will attempt to write the configuration files locally under the profile you are currently logged in as.
Again using UNC naming for the executables and local drive letters for storing the config files.

You may have to monitor plugins that write their own configuration files, some plugins may actually have a limit on the length of a filepath or characters used in the names.

You will want to make sure that staff uses a standard directory structure for your content with paths coming from different machines you will want to minimize the amount of non-general paths that get stored in your scene files. Especially if you plan to render any work across the network.

aperezg
06-07-2007, 08:35 PM
Yes, should do. I have about sixteen lines in my license.key file (for testing several dongles on one machine, rather than the other way around, but still...)

B

Hi BeeVee
How can I do it in one Power Pc G5, and one Mac Pro with one dongel and only one license.

Thanks.

BeeVee
06-14-2007, 07:16 AM
I'm not sure I understand what you mean? If I have you right then you want to install your one licence on several machines? You can, no problem - just copy the license.key as well - and then whichever machine has the dongle is the one working as a full licence.

B