PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated freelancer

04-17-2007, 12:16 PM
I am a self thought graphic designer, I've used lightwave for about 5 years but never really took the time to learn everything. I just learned what i needed to do my work and that is it. Now i am a little bit behind. I am very interested in this DOF, I do mostly stills and this is a great feature for me to bring a little realism to some of my work. I usually do it in Photoshop. Here is some of my work at my page (some links not working yet) http://www.graphicslinkonline.com/

Here is the problem: I have this scene (attached) and i can't get the rear ball to be out of focus..what am i doing wrong?

wellsichris
04-17-2007, 12:59 PM
the scale of your scene is way off. the pill is 5 meters big. so if you want to use real camera lenses scale your scene to real life size.

if you are going to try and do it with that size of a scene crank down the fstop to something like .01 and you'll see it go out of focus.

Chris

04-17-2007, 01:08 PM
I've never really paid much attention to scale...But what if this was a giant ball..Being a photographer who owns the real lens and camera used. I am sure that at this settings i would have very blurry object behind the main object..i am confused...thanks 4 replying

wellsichris
04-17-2007, 01:15 PM
well you're 40 something meters away from a big ball. so imagine standing at the 50 yard line taking a picture of the goal posts. the crowd behind isn't going to be as out of focus as you would hope :) maybe if you zoomed right in on it, but with the frameing you have... anyway, try a really low fstop and see if it helps ;)

Chris

04-17-2007, 01:22 PM
I have finally achieved DOF...very nice Thank You and i will make sure to pay more attention to scale in LW

Matt
04-17-2007, 04:08 PM
I take it you know about the OpenGL realtime DOF preview in LW9.2? Makes setting this kind of thing up a total breeze!

04-17-2007, 10:46 PM