PDA

View Full Version : Save CG? Create new Template?

lcress
04-17-2007, 06:53 AM
I was working on a 15 minute test project and got to the place where I wanted to design titles for the talking heads.
For the life of me I can't figure out how to create a title and save it so I can load it in later in the timeline.

So far I have been doing a copy of a CG already on the timeline and pasting it to a new location, then editing the name, etc. A bit cumbersome. I suppose I could just keep a CG sitting at the end of the timeline and continue to copy/paste.

Is there a way to save a title as a Template? Obviously, we should be able to create and save our own templates, right?

Also what about bins? Can I create a bin to put my working titles in instead of jumping back and forth on the timeline?

So many questions . . . .?

billmi
04-17-2007, 07:14 AM
I was working on a 15 minute test project and got to the place where I wanted to design titles for the talking heads.
For the life of me I can't figure out how to create a title and save it so I can load it in later in the timeline....

Also what about bins? Can I create a bin to put my working titles in instead of jumping back and forth on the timeline?

Is there a way to save a title as a Template? Obviously, we should be able to create and save our own templates, right?

Yes there is, and the problem is it is so easy, that it's not intuitive compared to what most folks expect (i.e. opening a save as menu somewhere.) Just change your other pane to the filebin (or have a filebin open somewhere else) and drag the CG page to filebin. Done.

I usually rename the page first (highlight the page, then rename it in the lower left corner of the SE window under the clip name) to keep things tidy. As far as organizing them into bins for projects - that is as simple as making new folders within the main CG folder (use the new folder button in the Filebin view.)

Tim Johnson
04-17-2007, 07:50 AM
Yes, making templates is pretty simple (as described above.) Re-name in the timeline and then drag to a bin. (You may need to do an ALT + drag, I can't remember real well.)

lcress
04-17-2007, 03:39 PM
Excellent! You're right, it is too easy. I kept looking thru the docs but couldn't get a handle on it.

I can see that a person might want to create a standard set of bins that contain stock music, stock CG titles, slates, etc and just save that as a generic SE project.

Then when you start a new edit, just load the generic project, digitize into your file bin, save the project under a new name and start editing.

The more I use SE the more I like it. Just got to get the work flow down but that's the same with any software.
Thanks for the help!

billmi
04-21-2007, 11:42 AM
There's no need to create a project for that. SpeedEdit's "bins" aren't project specific bins. The Filebin is really just a fancier way of browsing through directories on your hard drive, and thus bin contents are available from any project (or even to other apps) with their organization intact.

Within my clips folder, I have a folder for PigTV (an webcast show I produce.) Inside that folder, is a folder called PigTV_Common. In that folder I keep the CG templates commonly used in the show, the intro sequence, a sound effect that I use with a DVE that is specific to the show (stone doors slamming shut with the show logo in front of them) and a folder full of background music specific to the show.

Then whenever I need any of those common elements, I click the "Clips" tab in the Filebin window, then the PigTV_Common folder, and its right there, ready to go. As I am working on a show, I'll usually create a folder for its captured clips, named for the episode, inside the PigTV folder.

axaboss
04-21-2007, 08:53 PM
NewTek really needs to get on the ball when it comes to there manuals and tutorials.

Speededit is a fantastic program. There is no competition within its price range (maybe Vegas) and yet many do not know where to find or save files, or even optimize its speed. Its not obvious to anyone coming from another NLE to place their files anywhere. Hopefully, they will use some organized approached, but they are unaware of the forgiving nature of the program. There are lots of little things like that in starting out with SE. These stop gaps make SE feel unfriendly when it is actually very friendly.

Educating your prospects and buyers is everything. Sales will get even better.

wvp
04-22-2007, 10:55 AM
I have a folder for PigTV (an webcast show I produce.)
:offtopic: I haven't played paintball in ages, Sure was fun when we had the time!