PDA

View Full Version : Snap Dragging in Layout

Ramen Sama
04-16-2007, 04:56 PM
Is there a method/plugin for doing snap dragging in layout like in modeler?

I'm creating "levels" for a video game using prefabbed models and i haven't found a way to line these pieces up properly exect having to manually type the XYZ.

- Ramen

IZZE
04-16-2007, 08:57 PM
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66550&highlight=snap+drag

RudySchneider
04-16-2007, 09:36 PM
IZZE ---
The question was for Layout, not Modeler. And I can think of instances where it would come in handy for me, too.

IZZE
04-16-2007, 11:09 PM
Missed that.

how heavy are the levels? can you export them and use SP_Move then import?

Ramen Sama
04-17-2007, 05:17 AM
The levels are not that complex, but each section is only a couple meters in size, and they need to be lined up together so there are no gaps between them, it's proven quite time consuming to line them up thus far.

I'm not familiar with SP_Move though, what is that exactly?

Ramen Sama
04-17-2007, 05:45 AM
Oh,you're talking modeler with SP_Move.

You confused me talking about importing and exporting. There's no exporting or importing going on between layout and modeler.

But besides that, i can't just construct the entire levels in modeler. I need to have sections of the levels that piece together to form the whole in layout.

So i need to be able to put them together without gaps.

Surrealist.
04-17-2007, 07:27 PM
Why not align them in modeler and use center pivot so they start out in layout in the right place with a pivot at the center? Load the object up in a fresh scene and you're set. If you go back and forth between modeler you'd have to use the reset button in Layout with the move pivot tool selected top get the pivots to update. But other than that it seems like it would be a lot easier.

Surrealist.
04-17-2007, 07:29 PM
Oh and also SP move is a free plugin. But I would use Aligner in modeler. You can set it to a BG layer and align that way.

Ramen Sama
04-18-2007, 11:14 AM
Well it'd be a real pain to have to have 100 slightly different copies of an object saved in modeler and then loaded in layout. I would like to simply clone 100 of the items in layout, and snap them together that way withou worrying about centerpoints and what not.

So i guess there is no way to do the snap draggin in layout. that's really too bad.

MonroePoteet
04-18-2007, 02:19 PM
If it's 100 clones of the same object, each of which has a constant size, maybe an array tool for Layout would work? Here's a thread:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29854

Just a guess, though.

mTp

Ramen Sama
04-18-2007, 04:41 PM
hmmm still seems like way too much work. I do more of the design in layout itself, so i don't have everything planned out until i start piecing things together. Perhaps i could see more about writing a plugin to do what i need instead

Ramen Sama
04-18-2007, 04:49 PM
hmm i think i found something that may work.

http://www.flay.com/GetDetail.cfm?ID=1974

I'll check it out and post my findings

MonroePoteet
04-18-2007, 04:49 PM
After the discussion on "alignment in Layout" (another thread), I took a brief look at writing such a thing. Layout's object selection methodology seems to preclude being able to dynamically build relationships between objects other than the parenting relationship. Translation: it's hard to figure out from a plug-in WHAT to align WHAT with unless one of them is an immediate child of the other.

If what you're after is a "snap centerpoint to grid" type of function, that's pretty straightforward. But if you want "snap center of A to left/X axis of B's bounding box" and other advanced relationships while dragging or selecting objects with the mouse, I haven't seen a way of implementing that in LScript, which means it's probably not available from the plug-in API either.

mTp

P.S. Note that I'm looking at the V8.2 API spec. V9 may have advanced object selection abilities in Layout.

Ramen Sama
04-18-2007, 04:59 PM
Ok, this Plugin i linked to does infact seem to do the job. But you must make sure you disable autoKeyframing, or it spazzes out.

Thanks for those who replied.

Ramen Sama
01-04-2008, 05:11 AM
Too bad, this script no longer works properly with 9.2 and above.