PDA

View Full Version : No Video Signal error

Arte
02-20-2003, 06:31 AM
Hi folks.

We purchased a Toaster bundle at work a couple of weeks back and it came with Build 3860 I think it was. I found that upon rebooting the machine, Tvision would claim no video signal was present randomly, so basically no outputs whatsoever from anything.

According to the read me in Build 3890, that was fixed. Well I installed 3890 and updated the core yesterday and I still get the message sporadically on a reboot. The only solution I have found to said problem is to switch off the machine i.e power down and then restart.

The motherboard I am using is an Albatron 400X or something like that with an Athlon XP2200 processor, 1gig of ram and a single WD IDE drive. Now I know the system is underpowered for RT, (actually handles 1-3 streams of audio and video very well if there are no rendered graphics in there, stutters on renders badly). Graphics are from a 128MB GF4 Mx made by Point of View.

I can fix the playback and rendering speed with SCSI and switching to a Dual Athlon set up, but would like to fix the signal issue first if possible, on this machine.
Anyone have any ideas what could be wrong.

BTW Audio dissapears for no reason on the machine in the same way as video does but not always at the same time.

PS Windows found a device conflicting with a piece of NT software which I disabled in the device manger. I think it was an onboard sound card which is supposed to be disabled in the bios. Disabling it did earlier today has not make a difference to the Toaster though which still insists upon the above message randomly:(

Thanks in advance folks.

X

ted
02-20-2003, 11:29 AM
I thought this was resolved too, but with the latest 3890 I'm getting the "No Video Present" too.
It happens almost every morning with the first startup. Killing winrtme and restarting the Toaster doesn't fix it. Rebooting the computer does fix it almost every time.

Giving the computer several minutes to warm up doesn't seem to help either.
At least it's something I can count on.:( So I get in extra early so my clients never see me fire everything up twice.;)

SBowie
02-20-2003, 12:11 PM
Is it possible that you're both running older boards? In addition to the occasional disappearing input in 3866, way back when when the brontoasurus roamed there was a small Toaster card hdwe. fix (the name of which escapes me at the moment) to accomodate mobo's which did not fully power down on a warm reset. Perhaps a call to tech support would be better than my caffeine dreprived memory, but these were two separate issues IIRC.

videoguy
02-20-2003, 12:52 PM
i have the same exact problem

Arte
02-20-2003, 01:06 PM
Hey folks. Thanks for the replies.

Steve, we may have spoken some time ago on Team Amiga or the Moo Bunny I think? Arte is where I work. X is my nick.

I have received a reply from Newtek Europe on the issue. Their tech support is second to none. No time to respond properly now. When I get home I will post how to address the issue as I have been told.

Thanks again.

X

videoguy
02-21-2003, 09:49 AM
any word on how to fix this issue?

ted
02-21-2003, 12:28 PM
Yes, Reboot the computer.:(
I've even swapped Toaster cards, reseated everything with the same results. Today it came up fine. One day out of 5.
Again, not life or death, just an inconvenience.

pfrench
02-21-2003, 03:16 PM
Lets get more info:

1. Close T2.exe

2. Go into the "Drivers" directory and run newtekrtme.exe (you may need to run this twice)

3. Copy/Paste the output into this forum and I'll have a look.

Arte
02-21-2003, 04:59 PM
Hi folks.

Sorry I couldn't get back sooner.

Unofortunately the issue has not been resolved.

I was told that I had to apply the 3890 patch after I had enabled the uknown multimedia device which builds prior to 3890 gave you in the device manger.

I had applied the patch with the device disabled so thought it was a simple mistake. (On NEWTEK'S part, it should have been in the patch readme, Newtek's documentation does some serious injustice to the people who work there)

3890 afaik allows Windows to recognise the Toaster device properly. Thing is it forgets what the Toaster is every reboot. Even if I apply the driver every reboot, I still sporadically lose outputs.

If I kill WinRTME or whatever it's called:) I will almost certainly get video back with one or two attempts but there is no guarantee I can get both video and audio outputs back.

Newtek is sending me the new 3890 install CD. I suspect there is something slightly different there that may cure this problem. I'll let you all know as soon as the Cd arrives. (Monday Tuesday I guess?)

I have been told by Newtek Europe it is an AMD issue and that Newtek does not recommend any AMD motherboards. I'm going to ask on that one too as I refuse to believe that:)

Thanks for the advice folks.

X

Paul Lara
02-21-2003, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Arte
3890 afaik allows Windows to recognize the Toaster device properly.

The full install CD, yes.

Pete Draves
02-23-2003, 07:19 PM
This is a funny situation. My old (T1) board has never had the no video input error. The only boards that have exibited this error are the newer boards (T2) out of the box.
The patch does not correct this problem and a system boot does not allways clear the problem.

But: a full install does correct the problem. This is a mail out only Some 600meg. Those of us who have broadband should be able to download, at least in sections.

I was lucky, I am a dealer system integrator, and the new discs were easy to get.

And it does solve the problem.
Pete Draves
CV Productions

Arte
02-24-2003, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by Pete Draves
This is a funny situation. My old (T1) board has never had the no video input error. The only boards that have exibited this error are the newer boards (T2) out of the box.
The patch does not correct this problem and a system boot does not allways clear the problem.

But: a full install does correct the problem. This is a mail out only Some 600meg. Those of us who have broadband should be able to download, at least in sections.

I was lucky, I am a dealer system integrator, and the new discs were easy to get.

And it does solve the problem.
Pete Draves
CV Productions

Thanks Pete. That clears one hell of a lot of stress off of me:) I was hoping the full CD would fix it but was too scared to be optimistic.

BTW, you build systems I guess. Is it true what NT Europe says about AMD processors and the Toaster not playing well together?

Thanks again to everyone.

X

videoguy
02-24-2003, 05:45 AM
where can i get one of the full install cds for win2k

Pete Draves
02-24-2003, 07:06 AM
Full Version CD can be ordered from Newtek thru the download VT upgrade part of the website

About AMD:

I have only one amd working in the field, All others have been replaced. Something about processor drift in dual boards. and chipsets on the mother boards.
The best bet is Intel as newtek recomends. My dual Zeon never crashes and performs far better than the AMD's ever did.

Pete

lwaddict
03-03-2003, 12:17 PM
I don't know about that AMD thing guys...

the guys at Toaster.TV are punching them out
with flying colors...
including running with IDE Raids.

I think the AMD issues are more or less board
specific and not necessarily problems with the AMD
processor.

But that's just me.

Full 3890 CD? Hmmmm...Newtek?
Want to shed some light on this?:confused:

Pete Draves
03-03-2003, 01:06 PM
some boards work and some boards don't.
It is a chipset issue. Also the proscessors, on multiple bors and single boards use the proper multiple or single cpu's. xp mp not the same.

if certain chipsets are there ok use them.

but i think that for a small savings of only a few hundred dollars that you will get not as good a performance as zeon or P4.

Pete Draves

Arte
03-03-2003, 03:37 PM
Hi folks.

Thanks everyone for the help and advice.

Latest news.

I have installed the 3890 Cd. It is completely different to the patch. It installs a complete Toaster Device, something the patch does not do, even with a core update.

However even that does not fix the issue which must be a chipset issue. I will download a newer motherboard driver if I can find one but I guess it is time to go back to the P4 for now:(

As for the P4 over AMD. At work we have every configuration of P4 you can think of(All fully loaded power machines). After testing them for a local dealer for a year all I can say is weird CPU. Reminds me of the tortoise and the Hare.

They can destroy an AMD for some tasks, but *only* if you don't stress them which is where you see the Athlon suddenly speed ahead for reasons only Intel knows.

I guess Xeon's are the only real solution.

X

lwaddict
03-12-2003, 02:42 PM
Arte,

I just double checked it...
your Albatron is using the VIA Chipset...
bad ju-ju for the Toaster I've been told.

Try a Tyan motherboard, S2460 or S2462.

I've just gone through this same lesson but
know for a fact that the AMD works. Still,
everyone puts it on the processor when it's
more than likely the chipset.

Arte
03-16-2003, 05:42 AM
Thanks lwaddict.

I didn't see this reply earlier:)

I guess I will sit on the Athlon machine until Hammer is available. I don't need to handle sound for any projects just yet so I am ok for a couple of months I guess. If I do need sound I'll throw the Toaster into a P4 box.

As for the Athlon processor, you are right, there is no way the CPU is causing the issues with fluctuation as the P4 would be causing them too. AMD knew what they were doing when they decided to start building their own chipsets a few months back.

X

Blaine Holm
03-27-2003, 03:42 PM
we have also been getting it with the 3890 build and the 150 core. We have gone back to the 14d core, and the problem is solved, so it was something that happened in the 150 core.

Blaine Holm
03-28-2003, 12:45 PM
"the guys at Toaster.TV are punching them out
with flying colors...
including running with IDE Raids."

I hope they are not still 'punching' them out with flyer colors, because their customers will be puching them out, since th0e current AthlonMP's will not work with 'at least' the first build of Video Toaster [3] if ever at all.

Pete Draves
03-28-2003, 05:16 PM
All motherboards are created equal.
...except the one I own.

I Allways go with the mfg's recomended specifications
or so!

Pete Draves

Arte
03-29-2003, 05:36 AM
Originally posted by Blaine Holm
"the guys at Toaster.TV are punching them out
with flying colors...
including running with IDE Raids."

I hope they are not still 'punching' them out with flyer colors, because their customers will be puching them out, since th0e current AthlonMP's will not work with 'at least' the first build of Video Toaster [3] if ever at all.

Not sure about not working at all, but definately won't be working as well as they could.

BTW Direct X 9 doesn't fix the problem as had been suggested. Seems via suck:)

X