PDA

View Full Version : Massive improvements to renderer

inkpen3d
04-15-2007, 10:36 AM
I'd just like to compliment NewTek on the vast improvements they've made to the native renderer, especially when it comes to radiosity.

Last night, just for the hell of it, I fired up the RC2 version of LW9.2 and set a radiosity render going of a showroom scene I am doing for a client. Settings were: Perspective camera, image size 2560 x 2048, AA 5, Mitchell (sharp), Final Gather, interpolated, 128 RPE, 5 bounces.

I then went for a bite to eat and a couple of beers (6.5% real UK ale).

Came back a couple of hours later fully expecting the render to either still be chugging away or collapsed in an ugly heap. However, I was amazed to find that the render had finished after 1 hour and 5 minutes! Well, I winched my jaw back off the floor and double-checked that the beer wasn't causing me to hallicinate (which it wasn't). Went to bed with a smile on my face.

I know that LW9.0 just fell over when attempting to render this scene and I shudder to think how long LW8.5 would have taken, always assuming it likewise didn't go belly-up.

The only down-side to all this is that the wife and kids are getting heartily sick of me waxing lyrical about the new LW renderer - it hasn't got to the stage of "it's either LW goes, or we go" just yet. But does anyone know if councilling services are part of the LW9.2 package? ;-)

Elmar Moelzer
04-15-2007, 12:41 PM
LightWave 10 = grown to be the big guy in the business!!
;)
CU
Elmar

JamesCurtis
04-15-2007, 01:35 PM
Right now I don't thing LW10 is in the near future. I think the 9.x cycle is gonna take a while. But hopefully everything being done now will lead smoothly to LW10.

LAV
04-15-2007, 03:19 PM
wow! I think so. But I suppose the 9.x cycle was a lot more than a fine tuning work. Improvements from 9.0 to 9.2 worth the time we spend in beta testing.
Congrats, NT

kfinla
04-15-2007, 07:03 PM
I'm looking forward to getting on the LW 9.x train once 9.2 is out. The only thing im wondering about is.. how much longer the LW 9 dev cycle is gonna go?

I just took a look and didnt realize LW 9.0 had only been out since July 06? I guess the delay skewed my memory.

And i see LW 8.0-8.5 was 17 months.. so i guess were about halfway through 9.x .. since there is still lots to cover to go from 9.2 to 9.5. - rigging, animation, physics update?

vpii
04-15-2007, 09:17 PM
Looks good on paper just my MN Wild down now 3 to 0 in the series against the Ducks. Point is best teams do not always win out.

Andyjaggy
04-16-2007, 11:58 AM
Right now I don't thing LW10 is in the near future. I think the 9.x cycle is gonna take a while. But hopefully everything being done now will lead smoothly to LW10.

I fully expect the 9.x cycle to take a while myself. There are still so many things that need to be fixed. I think we can dare say when the day does come LW 10 is going to rock. I am hoping for a revamped interface but that's just me :)

Bog
04-17-2007, 02:15 PM
It's an incredible charge seeing the differences in 9.2. It's actually faster to use radiosity and a luminous poly than it is to use an area light a lot of the time - and hugely prettier, too!

It's breathtaking, and it's brilliant. And darn, it looks good!