PDA

View Full Version : Newbie: How to cut a primitive into pieces?

MaureenD
04-15-2007, 10:28 AM
I've been messing with LW9 for only a few weeks and have taken many tutorials, so I sortof know the basics.

But this project I'm working on is frustrating me. I have a very thin flat box, (like a thick piece of cardboard) and am trying to cut it into shapes like a jigsaw puzzle. The pieces must then be able to be moved apart because I then need to animate them back together.

Is there no way to use the sketch tool to draw out the puzzle shapes and then have the primitive actually cut apart? In searching the forum I found reference to a jigsaw plugin from FI which I found and downloaded - but now I don't know how to use it - or even if that's really what it is for. :confused:

Can someone point me in the right direction? Must the primitive be subdivided into a very fine mesh before it will be able to be cut?

Wonderpup
04-15-2007, 11:45 AM
I did a logo job with a similar idea- a rectangle block made of 4 interlocking jigsaw peices. What I did was model the 4 pieces seperately- but using the same points (copied and pasted) for the solids and the 'holes' - so I got a perfect match for the pieces to fit together.

MonroePoteet
04-15-2007, 12:45 PM
Drill=>Slice will slice what's in the foreground layer based upon the background layer. So, if your sketched pieces are in the background layer, and the primitive is in the foreground layer, Drill=>Slice will slice the primitive. However, it will leave hollow edges on each piece.

If you're going to draw the individual pieces anyway, it may just be easier to extrude them to thickness when that's done rather than slicing a primitive. If they're in the same layer, you can use a UV mapped texture to lay the puzzle drawing across all the pieces, and then separate them into layers to allow separate animation of them.

mTp