PDA

View Full Version : Shadow Exclude -- is what again?

Wopmay
04-15-2007, 02:20 AM
I've seen a reference to this on these threads somewhere but darned if I can find it here or in any of the "literature." Does anybody know where a description might be or better, what the hey it is for? Is it supposed to be on or off?

Thanks!

bloontz
04-15-2007, 08:30 AM
In the object properties render tab you can turn shadows off for an object, useful for example if you want to light an object with multiple lights but don't want multiple shadows. You can also exclude light from objects with the lights tab or in the lights properties.

arsad
04-15-2007, 01:03 PM
In the object properties render tab you can turn shadows off for an object, useful for example if you want to light an object with multiple lights but don't want multiple shadows. You can also exclude light from objects with the lights tab or in the lights properties.

hm, how would you light an object with several lights and have only one cast
shadow on this one particular object. I know you can desactivate cast shadow
for the light, but then the light won't cast shadows anywhere. So how do you
activate cast shadow on this object and not on the others, or for the object:
receive shadow from this light but no other, while getting lit by all!

bloontz
04-15-2007, 01:28 PM
Sorry, arsad is correct, I was confusing turning shadows off for a light and for an object.

Wopmay
04-15-2007, 10:27 PM
Thanks. I'm familiar with the exclude function that works between lights and objects. What I'm talking about is a button you can add to the interface that isn't there by default. It says "Shadow Exclude." I can't fugure out what it's doing. Doesn't seem to do anything but I'm sure I need it. There was a thread maybe a few weeks ago where it was described. Search turns up nothing.

If anybody has a clue...

Wopmay
04-16-2007, 12:26 AM
Why does everything have to be so complicated? Here's the picture for real.

moc
04-16-2007, 04:02 AM
I think it's better in this way....

Wopmay
04-16-2007, 04:58 AM
Thanks for the enlightenment.

Curious, ain't it. Here's my light property panel. This is 9.2 ob 20.

Hmmm... tsk, tsk, tsk...

toby
04-16-2007, 11:22 AM
MOST intriguing. This is a new feature, presumably new to 9.2, so I'm not surprised it's not documented yet, it might not even function - we will have to experiment... and I wonder why it's a button in the menu instead of a checkbox?

Wopmay
04-16-2007, 03:39 PM
How come Moc got more candy than me?! I want shadow candy, too!

Chil-TON!

Probably at NAB.

Hrumph.

toby
04-16-2007, 07:07 PM
Whatdya say moc, does it do what we think it does? Per object - per light shadow exclusion, and is it working? I've wanted something like this for a while (not at home so I can't test it for a few hours... if at all... I'm on a Mac too) How about the non-UB Wopmay, is it in there?

Wopmay
04-16-2007, 07:25 PM
Checked UB and non-Ub. They're both the same. AWOL.

BazC
04-17-2007, 03:03 AM
Checked UB and non-Ub. They're both the same. AWOL.

It's not in the interface by default you have to add it, search for Shadow exclusion in configure menus.

It's a simple on off switch so I don't see how it can work on a per object level. Actually I can't get to do anything at all! :D

Wopmay
04-17-2007, 03:50 AM
Yeah, I noticed. The Shadow Exclude function (or, uh, non-function) has been added to the interface. When you click it, it lights up or dims just like it's doing something but I can't see that it's effecting anything.

More curious, though, is the difference between Windows and Mac. On Windows, it appears (I assume it's the same thing) in the Object tab of the Light Properties panel.

Hey, cur. Help us out, man. Does this Shadow Exclude business actually DO anything on your setup?

Sure would be handy...