PDA

View Full Version : Kray and Fprime

04-14-2007, 01:57 PM
I am new to lightwave and please forgive me if I ask some stupid questions.

After searching tons of posts in this forum to compare karay and Fprime, I came to one simple conclusion about these two renderers.

By using Fprime, you will benefit from its previewing ability/workflow but the final rendered quality is not as good as kray's.

By using Kray, you will enjoy faster and better rendering speed/quality but you cannot see/preview rendered image interactively.

Am I right ? Thank you for helping me out.. :help:

Intuition
04-14-2007, 02:41 PM
I'd say that you have the general idea right but F-Prime can also be a final render solution, especially since its motion blur is rather nice and its GI is very very fast as well.

Kray on the other hand can be very useful for arch/viz in that it has a cached GI solution.

Kray is probably the best engine to use if you want to light using lumigons (luminous polygons). Has the best gamma range for lighting this way and allows you to either ray trace or photon map the scene. Alot fo options in the kray toolset.

I really like Kray but I'd say F-Prime is useful 90% of the time. I often wonder if there is a day in any production when I didn't fire it up.

Kray does not have a network rendering solution yet so its hard to use in a production pipeline. They will eventually have a net solution though. FPrime only very recently gained a net-render solution but I have not attempted to use it nor have a heard of anyone rendering it on a network either.

Eventually thereporting of Fp3 net use will come out of the wood works though and we will all be taking notes.

Captain Obvious
04-14-2007, 03:14 PM
If you have to choose, choose FPrime.

Exception
04-14-2007, 03:33 PM
Fprime does not render in lesser quality than Kray, but it is a lot slower. Fprime does almost everything Lw does. Fprime does previewing.

Kray is super fast but difficult to set up, is mainly suited for GI renders (interiors, architecture, etc) but does not support all LW features.

Two engines that fulfill an important role and can be used consecutively very well.

04-14-2007, 06:01 PM
Thank you very much for all your prompt comment and that will help me a lot. Actually it's really hard to make a choice between them.:devil:

To Exception:

You said Fprime will not generate the lesser quality image than kray does, the only difference is rendering speed. So basically you mean Fprime's final output can be as good as kray's but you just need more time to render, am I right ?

If what you are saying is true then I will go for Fprime at this moment and come back for kray if needed. :beerchug:

Captain Obvious
04-14-2007, 06:27 PM
Even if you DO end up using Kray for final rendering, having FPrime for previewing is still very useful.

Tiger
04-14-2007, 06:31 PM
In F-Prime, you can set up your desired light-quality.
By default, its set to 0,500. If you set it 1,5 for example, a scene with arealights will have much less grain than a scene which have a setting of 0,500.
It will take a little more rendertime, but if you can live with that...
GET F-PRIME :)

mav3rick
04-15-2007, 01:13 AM
well i would say get them both... very soon kray will get new updates and it will be on par with fp features.

Haven1000
04-15-2007, 02:53 AM
By using Kray, you will enjoy faster and better rendering speed/quality but you cannot see/preview rendered image interactively.

While this is true, Kray renders progressively like F-prime so while there is no interactive preview tool with Kray you can get a pretty good impression of what your render will look like in a few minutes after starting a Kray render.

As a beginner there is no other tool out there which will help you develop your lighting and texturing skills like F-prime can, it also has an uncomplicated interface so it is not that daunting of a render to understand.

Both are very powerful tools, especially when used together, but go with the general consensus, F-prime is almost a must have plugin.

04-15-2007, 06:22 AM
Your comments do clear many things for me and I now have better picture of these 2 renderers.

Thank you again for you guy's reply and this forum indeed is very warm and helpful . Lightwave rocks !! :dance:

Captain Obvious
04-15-2007, 06:37 AM
In F-Prime, you can set up your desired light-quality.
By default, its set to 0,500. If you set it 1,5 for example, a scene with arealights will have much less grain than a scene which have a setting of 0,500.
It will take a little more rendertime, but if you can live with that...
GET F-PRIME :)
The quality level is basically the same thing as the area light quality setting. The higher you set it, the less grain you get at the expense of higher render times, that much is indeed true. However, what you need to keep in mind is that FPrime is very dynamic about the render times. If you render for one hour, for example, you can turn up the light quality to get less light grain but more aliasing and DOF/MB grain, or turn it down to get more DOF/MB and anti-aliasing sampling but more light grain.

In FPrime, the amount of grain is a direct function of the time you leave it cooking. In some extreme cases, you can actually decrease the light grain by turning down the light quality and thusly letting it reach a higher quality level.

Kray renders progressively like F-prime
No, it doesn't. The progressive render mode in Kray is not at all the same thing as FPrime.

Haven1000
04-15-2007, 07:11 AM
Quote:
Kray renders progressively like F-prime

No, it doesn't. The progressive render mode in Kray is not at all the same thing as FPrime.

I did say like, meaning "not the same as" but similar in function. Using the progressive pixel order in Kray is a great way to get "almost" instant feedback on the lighting in your scene if your final output is going to be with Kray. But granted should never be compared to F-prime's preview tool and it would only be used for lighting feedback and not texturing.