PDA

View Full Version : How To Fix These Artifacts

MysteryMonkey
04-14-2007, 10:47 AM
Using LW 9 (MacBook Pro, 2 GHz Intel Core Duo with 1 GB SDRAM)

I've been working with LightWave for a few months now. I have finally got a head model that I think is starting to look good, but I cannot seem to find a way to get rid of these marks that show up when I render it out. They appear to be segments of the cage guides (I don't know if that is the proper term for that or not). I've tried all kinds of things in modeler to see if I could get rid of them. I've tinkered for a couple of hours but I'm just not getting it. I've tripled the geometry. Tried moving the polys around a bit to new locations, and on an on. Any ideas out there as to what I can do to fix this?

Surrealist.
04-14-2007, 11:12 AM
In modeler, in the polygon selection mode, it w, for the polygon statistics window. Look for any "2 vertices" polygons and select the + to select them and hit delete.

What this does is find any 2 point polyons.

These are often referred to as polylines or 2 point polychains when connected.

They are useful for many things such as bolts of lightening which is why they render.

They can happen in a mesh for many reasons suchas welding points or using extender plus and not using undo twice to go back to before the new points were generated. Using boolean without merging points will do it sometimes too.

MysteryMonkey
04-14-2007, 11:50 AM
In modeler, in the polygon selection mode, it w, for the polygon statistics window. Look for any "2 vertices" polygons and select the + to select them and hit delete . . .

THAT DID IT! I had been using the "e" tool so that explains how the 2 vertices polys were created.

Just general info for others that may read this, the "Delete Key" didn't work for me. I Had to use "Command X" on my MacBook Pro.

Thanks for the help! :thumbsup:

Surrealist.
04-14-2007, 11:55 AM
Oh Sorry, did not realize the lack of delete button. I'll keep that in mind for the future.

So Option x is cut, right?

Then Command x is delete?

Not bad modeling for only 2 mos keep it up. :)

MysteryMonkey
04-14-2007, 12:18 PM
So Option x is cut, right?

Then Command x is delete?

Not bad modeling for only 2 mos keep it up. :)

I've been working with LightWave for more like 6 months actually (but I still appreciate the compliment). Even then I'm wasn't totally new to 3D Modeling when I began. I did some work with Animation Master a few years back and now that I'm starting up again I made the move to LW. Its a big change making the move from AM to LW although the fundamental concepts about form stay the same. :D

Well I do have a delete key, it just doesn't seem to be working for that particuar operation at the moment. I'm not sure about Option X being cut. Since I'm on an Intel Mac not everything is always working the way it is supposed to work. Command X will cut (delete) the selected and copy it to the clipboard so it could be pasted back in wherever needed.

Thanks again. That was a big help. It was driving me crazy.

Surrealist.
04-14-2007, 12:58 PM
Cool I do know what you mean. I came from LW 4.0 and it may as well have been another app.

What process are you using to create the head?

MysteryMonkey
04-14-2007, 10:55 PM
. . . . What process are you using to create the head?

Its kind of difficult to explain the process. It leaves something to be desire, but I can try. In a side view I used the Spline Draw tool to draw a profile of the head. Then I used the Extender Plus tool and extruded geometry to start creating one half of the face. I used to Spline Draw tool to create an eye outline and then beveled that out a few times to get geometry around the eyes. Eventually extruding, working and moving the profile geometry to conform to the shapes of the face and connecting it with the eye geometry. I only worked on half of the face. Once it looked fairly decent I mirrored the geometry to get the other half of the face.

Its hard to explain in words but hopefully you get a rough idea. Maybe sometime I can put a couple of photos together to make it easier to understand.

Surrealist.
04-15-2007, 01:18 AM
I am always interested in what people do to create any kind of geometry especially heads.

There is no correct way.

What I have been doing a lot lately is working in a profile first with polygons and then simply sculpting that out to a volume and then using mirror. Then I use add edges to refine the mesh and mirror as I go.

By the way do yo have those Terry Ford mirror tools? There is a delete right and delete left then mirror right to left or left to right. Real good for head modeling. Probably find it on flay.

I think I have done heads about every way possible from box modeling to splines you name it. Lately I kind of like the method of starting out with one polygon and just adding edges so that I am greating my polyflow. Then I pull out the volume of the head and continue to add edges until I get the polyflow.

I use the dragnet tool a lot to move large areas of mesh around. (right click drag to adjust the size of the influence with the blue circle)

Then the smooth tool (Shift m) to even out parts of the mesh that get bumpy as I go along. I set Strength to 1 and iterations to about 4 or 5.

Like to see more about your process. Post some wires.

And as always, happy modeling. :)

Wopmay
04-15-2007, 02:06 AM
... the "Delete Key" didn't work for me. I Had to use "Command X" on my MacBook Pro.

Don't know if this applies or not. On a full size Mac keyboard, there are two "delete" keys. A big one on the regular keypad and a smaller one above the arrow keys. In LightWave, the "regular" delete key on the regular keypad doesn't do anything in most cases. I think this is the traditional "backspace" key. Maybe it's called that on a Windows keyboard. Can't remember. Anyway, the small delete key above the arrow keys does work in LightWave. It's a pain trying to remember to use that one instead of the regular Mac delete key but it works.

The other problem is that the "other" delete key, the little one above the arrow keys, does not appear on a Mac Book at all. Oops.

Maybe there's a way to map it to the big delete key but it has been deleted from my brain.

Or perhaps you already knew this...

MysteryMonkey
04-15-2007, 07:05 AM
. . . There is no correct way . . .

That's for sure. Probably as many ways to model as there are modelers

. . . By the way do yo have those Terry Ford mirror tools? . . .

I'll have to check that out. Is that a freebie?

. . . Then the smooth tool (Shift m) to even out parts of the mesh that get bumpy as I go along. . . .

I just recently discoved the smooth tool. And to think I had been moving each point to smooth things out one at a time.

. . . Like to see more about your process. Post some wires. . . .

So here you go. First 4 of 7 images :hey:

MysteryMonkey
04-15-2007, 07:11 AM
. . . First 4 of 7 images . . .

The last 4 of 8.

Surrealist.
04-15-2007, 09:34 PM
Thanks for showing that progress on the head. Nice job. Looking forward to seeing further work on it as well as you move along.

Mirror tools are free. A few other interesting things too. Scroll down the page for the mirror tools:

http://www.aooe58.dsl.pipex.com/htm/frameplugins.shtml