PDA

View Full Version : Using Models from the LW8 Content CD in Commercial Work

marinello2003
04-14-2007, 12:27 AM
Hi,

I want to verify with NewTek, that the content that they shipped with their LW8 product is free to use for commercial projects. I emailed them back in 2003 about this and they said it was ok to do so, however I want to double check again. Mainly I want to know if you can both use the models supplied in the LW8 content CD in a commercial project royalty free and if you can create dervitive works - i.e. taking a model and modifying it for use in commercial projects.

Thanks!

Elmar Moelzer
04-14-2007, 07:27 AM
I am very sure you can (only exception were the ones in the meni things folder of the classic content, I think).
I think there should be a readme file somewhere in the content folder about that.
We made some of the stuff for the LW8.0 content (submarine, space shuttle and the space 1999- scene to name a few). These I know for sure are royalty free.
CU
Elmar

marinello2003
04-14-2007, 02:51 PM
Thank you!

Any chance of getting a NewTek person to chime in and verify this?

turbin
04-15-2007, 12:31 PM
Thank you!

Any chance of getting a NewTek person to chime in and verify this?

Ahh-Probably not until after NAB!

:D

Tim

Brian Arndt
04-15-2007, 03:09 PM
I think the rule is that if you take the content directly as it is it is illegal to claim as your own but if you completely change it and just use it as a default template then you wont have any problems.

The tendancy usually is to give credit to the original author as a "original model by blah blah"

Kurtis
04-17-2007, 09:23 AM
I believe there is a document with LightWave [8] that mentions one exception to this rule, but it basically works like this.

You can use the content included with LightWave, royalty-free, to create commercial works (animation, commercial, short film), but you cannot resell the content that comes with LightWave as content (scenes, models, images), even if you modify it.