PDA

View Full Version : Larger than 16000x16000

flamingspew
04-12-2007, 06:06 PM
I'm doing a print that is 35 feet by 50 feet. I need a resolution of 36000 x 25200 pixels. Any help. I'm trying a limited region with no borders, but it still is not big enough. ideas?
thanks a bunch. (LW 32 for osx)-v

flamingspew
04-12-2007, 06:48 PM
How could I split up a camera view and do quadrants without using splitrender plugin? It won't split the image into high rez chunks I need.

Surrealist.
04-12-2007, 10:15 PM
For that size you can uprez in photoshop using bicubic in the image size panel. That's what I did for a large billboard-size banner. You can easily 4X the res with no problem. Even more. I have uprezed an image 14.5 at 300 ppi to a 40.5 image and it printed with no artifacts.

For the billboard we had 720X480 video footage and had it blown up to something like 10 X20 feet. We gave it to the printer at 300 ppi and it was printed at 300 dpi which is pretty much the standard these days with ink jets.

flamingspew
04-13-2007, 12:39 AM
thanks Richard! I've used bicubic re-sampling before for smaller jobs. My boss is just freaked because a print this size ain't cheap. We're sending a test to the printers tomorrow.

I believe LW dumps some of the image buffer between anti-aliasing steps--if this is true, thats means lots of AA (hopefully afforded by 8 gigs of ram) before it ever reaches photoshop.

cheers
-v

Surrealist.
04-13-2007, 02:36 AM
thanks Richard! I've used bicubic re-sampling before for smaller jobs. My boss is just freaked because a print this size ain't cheap. We're sending a test to the printers tomorrow.

I believe LW dumps some of the image buffer between anti-aliasing steps--if this is true, thats means lots of AA (hopefully afforded by 8 gigs of ram) before it ever reaches photoshop.

cheers
-v

Yeah you can have them test a section of it. Can't blame your boss for freaking out but I am sure it will all work out because something that big will be viewed from a distance anyway. Billboards look real crappy up close.

And yes, Lots of AA. :)

Captain Obvious
04-14-2007, 06:06 AM
I need a resolution of 36000 x 25200 pixels.
No, you don't. Unless you're printing something like a huge map, there is just NO WAY you need that kind of resolution. As Surrealist says, billboards look horrible up close, because they're very low resolution.

kopperdrake
04-14-2007, 06:47 AM
Totally agree with that - I've never really needed to render anything bigger than A2 at 300dpi personally, and use One2One's Genuine Fractals plugin for Photoshop to get to a decent size if needed, but never produced a final image larger than A1 at 300dpi which has then just been upscaled. Billboards are made to view at at least a 3 metre distance, more likely 10 metres or more. I find the most demanding renderings size-wise are large prints for exhibition work where people will stand close to them and usually can't get too far back, so the higher rez is needed.

JeffrySG
04-15-2007, 11:35 AM
Just so you know, I've been working in the tradeshow / large format printing industry for over 10 years. Even for murals that will be viewed close up it's rare that we use an image with over 100ppi at final print size. For murals/prints that are in the 30 to 50ft. range you can usually drop the image resolution down to 50ppi (or less depending on the content of the image) and still get great looking output, especially if you have any vector text or graphics on top of the images as they will print at the full resolution of the printer. I'll NEVER send large images over at 300ppi. There is no point in sizing them up to that resolution. You'll just end up with huge files that don't have any more detail and take much longer to RIP.

I always recommend getting test prints for people that are worried about the quality of any image, or are a first time client and are not familiar with large format output. Anti-aliasing setting can be very important though, and don't over sharpen an image as well.

When you get any test prints, make sure you view them from the distance that the mural will be viewed! No point in viewing them from 2ft. if you will actually be viewing the mural from 30ft away... just fyi.

If you have any specific questions, let me know...

Jeff

JeffrySG
04-15-2007, 04:16 PM
oh yeah... I would also always go by the specs from the company that is outputting the actual banner as well... ;)

Surrealist.
04-16-2007, 01:10 PM
Very Sobering information.

It's always good to get it from someone who has done that a lot.

My experience was with one banner and the printer wanted 300 so that's what we gave him. So that's that.

Most of my experience is with art prints and from my tests at the printer I never give them anything less than 300, as that is what they print at. And giving them less looked real bad even if they used the printer software to print it at 300. But that's art prints and that's relatively up close. So that is a different animal.

JeffrySG
04-16-2007, 09:32 PM
^yeah, art prints are a different beast... ;) and it will depend on what type of printer they are using... so I'm sure in your case 300ppi was a good solution! :)