PDA

View Full Version : OT..but to workers in TV studios

prospector
04-12-2007, 04:59 PM
When I was growing up a TV season went from Sept (the new fall season) till June (summer reruns). so we got from usually 24 to 36 shows before reruns.

Now what do we get 5? 8? Then we are into reruns.

Can some of you talk to your bosses and tell them to get thier heads and a$$es wired together and give us full seasons?

It's like I watch 3 BSG and it's continued next season. There was just one that went away last month and won't be continued till 2008. BSG I think.

I'm looking at th SG1 previews and it's for the last season of the show...10 episodes...10 EPISODES....that's 2 months...that's not a full season

We need this world wrecking problem fixed, cuz I'm tired of looking at a scrolling menu to see what may be on that I could get the least interested in.

ARRGGG

And when ya see your bosses, just tell them I sent you.

Silkrooster
04-12-2007, 05:14 PM
I concur,
I have come to the conclusion that the major studios no longer have the funding to keep any show running for a full season. Not only are the seasons shorter, but most not all are running more commercials than normal to the point that the show runs approximately 5 minutes until the next commercial. I am predicting that it won't be long until we have a channel that is nothing but commercials, oh wait cable companies already do that, lol.
I think my biggest issue is premium channels running movies that belong on AMC. I just don't think its right to "pay" extra for movies we already can see with basic cable or satellite.
Silk

Bog
04-12-2007, 06:17 PM
UK Seasons ran 24 episodes, Back In The Day.

Back in the better days.

inquisitive
04-12-2007, 09:31 PM
maybe you need netflix.

We watch BSG via netflix so we are behind :( dont know what happened in season three so dont tell me plz, on the other hand its nice to not have to sit thru commercials and you can watch the whole season in a day or two.

Stargate Atlantis is turning out to be a good one. If you have not seen that, maybe you can rent it.

inquisitive
04-12-2007, 09:33 PM
btw, they are working on a dvd release of babylon 5 (new episodes), it should be interesting.

prospector
04-12-2007, 10:31 PM
dont know what happened in season three so dont tell me plz
Well we are on season 10 now so if your on 3 I should be able to remember back 4 months :jester:

Kuzey
04-13-2007, 05:35 AM
You should see what they do in Australia. One network who airs all the sci-fi shows would decide how long the season is. Sometimes it's as few as 4 episodes...then a few months later they would start all over again :thumbsdow

Because of that I still haven't seen all of the seasons of most of the Star Trek shows after next generation :eek: :eek:

Kuzey

LW_jackn
04-13-2007, 07:59 AM
Satellite isn't much better...

I use DirecTV. Yeah I know that says a lot right there, but they are just the carrier.

The bigger problem is WTF is up with the theme channels playing other channels stuff now?

SciFi playing Law and Order episodes? TLC and Discovery playing motherhood/baby programs till I puke, and the kicker is that the Weather channel has now become the freaking commercial channel.

And practically all of them playing PAID PROGRAMMING / SCAM programs up till 8 AM...

I mean, I don't turn on to SciFi channel to get rich quick in Real Estate (unless it was on Mars maybe)...

I mean WTF?

:s

JamesCurtis
04-13-2007, 08:25 AM
I think the infommercial shows [as they are called] are being used to bring operating money in.

Also, seasons generally ran from Sept. thru May [at one time] and did reruns in the other months. Now, some of the shows are being run with new shows in the summer months, and some are doing split seasons as well. It's all getting a bit confusing trying to keep up with shows these days!!

Wonderpup
04-13-2007, 01:03 PM
At the moment Sci fi channel in the Uk is running 'Heros' - one of the best things to come along since Firefly. Now - I am really motivated to watch this show but have basicy given up because the Ad-to-programme ratio is approaching 50/50, which breaks up the story so much I just can't be bothered to watch it.

The thing that really drives me crazy is that half the ads are for the channel itself- they're not even making money on this stuff! I appreciate the need for advertising to fund the shows, but I think they are now dangerously close to killing the goose.

Entertainment is about immersion- but there's no way to get immersed if your constantly being ejected into previews of the thing you won't be able to enjoy next week, because next week the interruptions will be touting the never to be delivered satifactions of the week after that- it's all begining to feel a little too much like donkeys and carrots for my taste.

prospector
04-13-2007, 01:19 PM
And I know some of you out there are doing lower thirds which are becoming lower halfs.

STOP IT !!!!!!!

I wanna see the program !!!

iconoclasty
04-13-2007, 01:57 PM
You can watch Heroes right off NBC.com You only get like 1 commercial every 8 minutes or so.

dballesg
04-13-2007, 03:11 PM
Hi,

You are lucky, here in spain you cannot almost see ANY Sci-fi unless you got a cable connection. And here the Ad-to-programme ratio is abusive.

There is a TV one that can interrupt CSI for 15 minutes 3 times on every episode!! :)

And about watch things without the adverts my solution was get one of those DVD-Recorders with HD. Record the program and watch it later jumping the ads! :)

gerry_g
04-13-2007, 05:26 PM
Guys there's an off button, no TV, three years and counting, never looked back, think it's a youth thing you grow out of.

badllarma
04-13-2007, 06:58 PM
At least most of you guy don't suffer the BBC 3 problem oh we had a good series a few years ago I tell you what we will just play that to death until every one has seen all the series serveral times AND THEN repeat it again and again............................................. ..

Why the hell they don't give the air time to up and coming animators, film makers and new production companies i'll never know.

inquisitive
04-13-2007, 11:08 PM
quit the TV, go get addicted on the 'net lol

Verlon
04-14-2007, 08:19 PM
A season used to be 26 episodes (like 3 seasons of Star Trek = 79 episodes, and that was because the two parter was hacked from the original unaired pilot).

Now its 20-23 episodes. I could deal with that....but its this on again off again thing that makes it hard to keep up.

Instead of starting in September, it starts in October. Runs until late november, takes a week off. Runs two more weeks, then takes a break until the third week of January. Then it runs for 4 weeks and take two weeks off for no reason than I can discern. Then it plays two new episodes in March, and then takes another month off.

And the cretins have the gall to ask why ratings are down? I can't figure out when a new episode is coming on. My DVR (supplied by my cable company) does its best, but misses. TV guide cannot be counted on in the Spring because I don't even think the networks know what they are doing.

Its easier just to wait for the DVDs.

Further: An 'episode' used to be 48 minutes for a 1 hour show. I think we are down to about 42. If you can get your promotions in the 1/3 of my program that you are interrupting with commericals, too freakin' bad.

I do not need a lower third. In fact, I am LESS inclined to wathc things that annoy me like that.

/rant off

JamesCurtis
04-15-2007, 01:32 PM
Verlon,

Actually, when the original Trek series aired in the 60's, an episode was 52 minutes in length. Times started creeping lower as the years passed. A half hour show was 22 minutes.

Verlon
04-15-2007, 01:56 PM
52? That makes it even worse today.

GRRRR Arrrgh

prospector
04-15-2007, 03:11 PM
Yep there was commercial on the 15th min lasted 1 min, on the 30th min which lasted 2 min, on the 45th min and that lasted 1 min then a 2 min spot at the 58 th minute.

Now a minimum of 10 min of commercials PLUS a full 60 min of lower 1/3 to sometimes lower 1/2 of commercial ads.

prospector
04-15-2007, 03:20 PM
I think it's the DVD seasons ruining it.
What would the costs be if there were really full seasons on them?
I don't think anyone could afford a full season (30 episodes) of any show.
It would be like a 15 DVD set and cost over $150 at $9 a DVD disk.

yes, yesss, that's what's doing it...DVD season sets....

We all need to get the pitchforks and torches, mob up and demand.......... rabble rabble rabble rabble

Silkrooster
04-15-2007, 04:20 PM
You might be onto something there. It is probably part of the marketing scheme so they can justify selling single tv shows as pay per view(Itunes for example). I swear they are trying to find more ways to get paid for the same product rather than working to create a new show.
Silk

Verlon
04-15-2007, 07:01 PM
A full season Farscape was ~$40 million (and that was with a bit of f/x, makeup, and what-all).

If 2 million people wanted it, $50 each would EASILY buy a season (firgure $5 for packaging and the rest for profits for resellers).

As its is, they get the viewers first run WITH lower thirds and extra commercials AND the nearly pure profit of season DVD sales which SHOULD be offsetting the costs of the show and letting us get by without lower thirds and using fewer commercial interruptions.