PDA

View Full Version : Leopard Delayed Till October !!

gerry_g
04-12-2007, 03:46 PM
And I nearly waited till June to order new metal, pish!!, 'iphone more important' says the 'Dear One', I'd like to stick one where his sun don't shine

Darth Mole
04-12-2007, 04:00 PM
I'm not sure in my mind whether this is a fully-fledged disaster or not. It means I can happily put off upgrading my heavy metal for another six months (until nearer my birthday!), but I'm sure it's a major disappointment for a lot of users and developers.

It also removes what teensy bit of effect Leopard might have had over Vista, which by then should be SP1-ed. Bah.

jeremyhardin
04-13-2007, 12:11 AM
Yeah I was really trying to hold off on buying a new machine until Leopard, but I'm not waiting until october. Bummer.

dglidden
04-14-2007, 12:50 PM
Personally I think the iPhone explanation is a red herring. Tracking the latest dev seeds it seems that Leopard is still an awfully long way from being complete. It's only questionable whether Apple saying "We just weren't going to get done with it by June" is any better or worse than saying "We thought it was more important to focus our limited resources on building a phone instead of our next OS" ...

Still, phooey.

On the positive side, it doesn't affect the fact that my MacBook Pro is still 64-bit ready, and it gives Chilton more time to get LW fully 64-bit.

brunopeixoto
04-14-2007, 01:14 PM
I remenber something about a new enviroment to develop applications that Jobs want to put in Leopard, and he saw this just some weeks ago, then, everybody will have to change the developer tools, oh, and don't forget that iphone wiil have a mac os x squeezed os on it.

drcmaint
04-15-2007, 02:14 AM
Well, if Leopard is delayed until October, then I'll just upgrade my old G4/933 with a dual 1.8GHz cpu card and call it good for a while. For little I'm able to do with LW 8.5 and now 9.0, this seems to be my best option for now. And, btw, the iPhone could have waited, there was no real need to get that to market as there was no real competition. Getting system 10.5 out would always have the higher priority. Oh well.

Johnny
04-18-2007, 06:53 AM
maybe I'm missing something, but what's the big hoop-de-do over whether leopard is ready now or in 6 months?

I am happy as a pig in you know what with Tiger...everything works great, and from what I see, Leopard offers mainly new eye candy and new ways of doing things which to me seem incrementally better over what Tiger offers.

If there are some under the hood increases in data movement, they often seem to involve a pile of loot for beefier new hardware, making the whole enterprise a multi-thousand dollar journey into the land of I Now Have Less Dough...

...which I'm happy to avoid!

J

BazC
04-18-2007, 07:04 AM
maybe I'm missing something, but what's the big hoop-de-do over whether leopard is ready now or in 6 months?

I am happy as a pig in you know what with Tiger...everything works great, and from what I see, Leopard offers mainly new eye candy and new ways of doing things which to me seem incrementally better over what Tiger offers.

If there are some under the hood increases in data movement, they often seem to involve a pile of loot for beefier new hardware, making the whole enterprise a multi-thousand dollar journey into the land of I Now Have Less Dough...

...which I'm happy to avoid!

J

Well it's a fully 64bit system for a start which probably won't benefit the average user much but will be a major bonus to people working with highend 3d!

It's also supposed to have major improvements in OpenGL.

There are also hints of as yet undisclosed features. I'm looking forward to it, whether I upgrade or not will depend a lot on how much better OGL is and those undisclosed features though!

jeremyhardin
04-18-2007, 07:42 AM
Yeah for me I'm disappointed because the 64bit OS is necessary for LW's UB and other non-commandline apps to move to 64 bit, and because I hate installing new OSes on machines.

Despite the fact that the Tiger upgrade on my old Powerbook was 99% flawless (I lost some POP hotmail messages because my Mail.app plugins were not transferred over and it trashed messages without the hotmail connection), I prefer a spanking clean machine with the OS installed when I buy, and I'm finally going to be buying a new intel.