PDA

View Full Version : Backdrop image flipped

MaureenD
04-12-2007, 09:17 AM
Whenever I load a backdrop image it always comes in reversed; i.e. horizontally flipped. What the heck is going on here?

Same problem happens with UV maps. I have to flip the image in my graphics program before I import it into the Image Editor, or it comes out in reverse every time.

Is this a Mac thing or what? I'm running OSX 10.4.9 on a 17" MacBook Pro.

toby
04-12-2007, 05:46 PM
Hi Maureen
It's not a Mac thing, it's a LW thing, and it makes sense in a way. But before I get into a long-winded explaination, the workaround is to change your viewport from Front to Back.

The way Layout's animation is designed is that it assumes the 'front' of every object is pointing down the Z axis, as there's no other way for the program to know what is the front of a car for example. It needs to know what the front is for motion options or plugins, like targetting or IK. So in Modeler (I assume that's where you're having this problem) when you have a viewport set to 'front', you're looking at the front of the object, and the object is facing down the Z... therefore you're looking up the Z... which is backwards... so your image is backwards... uh... if I just made it more confusing let me know and I'll try a different way... :)

MaureenD
04-13-2007, 06:01 PM
Uh - I think I get it. So it sounds like in modeler you are actually looking from the object's point of view.

Yes changing the viewport to back works, it just feels odd. Anyway thanks for the clarification.

rcallicotte
05-24-2011, 07:06 AM
I'm so glad you asked this question, Maureen. And especially glad you answered it, Toby. This seemed so...weird. Now it sort of makes sense. LOL I hate to admit it makes sense, until it really does. But, here's to learning Lightwave.

eblu
05-24-2011, 07:40 AM
ugh.
it never made sense to me. but i got used to it. I suspect some Z-up canadians influenced this particular 3d-space-ism.

Danner
05-24-2011, 07:48 AM
when you need to flip a UV you could use the flipUV command, but sometimes I just mirror the geometry (shift V click and drag).

rcallicotte
05-24-2011, 04:26 PM
Now that I'm trying it, it doesn't make any sense at all. It looks like I need to switch my image before I enter it into LW.