PDA

View Full Version : Stargate Hyperspace Window

Jedi21
04-11-2007, 09:01 PM
I have been looking everywhere for help on this effect and i just cant seem to crack it.

Does anyone know a good way to do the hyperspace window effect from stargate? (sg-1 or atlantis) not the travleing in hyperspace effect i got that one down, its the entering and exiting of hyperspace.

Im trying to put together a little movie and this is a big effect i just cant figure out. I have LW, AE, and Fusion at my disposal.

Help me newtek forums your my only hope :help:

cheers

jeremyhardin
04-16-2007, 04:11 AM
i'm still not sure exactly what effect you're looking for. can you post a picture from the film?

Phil
04-16-2007, 05:08 AM
I think the effect was based on water circling a plug hole. Indeed, that might have been how it was originally recorded *shrug*

A heavily subdivided plane with deformation and twist should do the job quite nicely. A couple of endomorphs to provide a controled bulging and you should be done. A water like surface will provide a good starting point for appearance as well.

voriax
04-16-2007, 08:20 AM
I think he means the space ships jumping into and out of hyperspace, not the stargate wormhole puddle effect?..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGkrla4pEsA
like that?

Jedi21
04-16-2007, 01:33 PM
I think he means the space ships jumping into and out of hyperspace, not the stargate wormhole puddle effect?..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGkrla4pEsA
like that?

hes got it right

If you watch atlantis seasion 2 episode 1 "The Seige part 3" the effect is used quite a bit. i really cant find any refrence online for it.

Phil
04-16-2007, 02:01 PM
The first sequence looks like a particular cloud - a tightly confined particle emitter with clouds defined by the particles

The second sequence almost looks like a high intense fresnel type gradient applied to a deformed sphere, with only the regions of high angular change being opaque.

It's hard to be sure because the YouTube quality is, as usual, piss poor.

Jedi21
04-16-2007, 04:15 PM
But still the question remains how do i go about duplicating it. Im just a student so i dont know about all the fancy fresnel stuff.

stargatesg1
04-16-2007, 07:52 PM
Im pretty sure that looks like something out of particle illusion 3
I know allot of studios are using Particle illusion for their fx to save time.
Its used on stargate and BSG.

Jedi21
04-17-2007, 03:48 PM
hmm ill have to look into getting a copy of it. Assuming its expensive ill need to find another way.

Jedi21
04-17-2007, 04:05 PM
Hey i finialy got some non spoiler refrence. (wouldnt want to blow it for people that havent seen the last episode yet)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfcqLismc00

About 30 seconds in u get a decent view.

oobievision
05-05-2007, 11:42 AM
are u talking about when they travel through the wormhole or when the stargate opens and u see that explosion of water fly out then back in?

oobievision
05-05-2007, 11:47 AM
oh I made a mistake on my previos post lol I thought u where taking about a the wormhole effect. If I where to make It I would use a disk plane or maybe like an inverted cone with the bottom taken out and the normals reversed and use a mapping effect with it. ill try to mimic it and post it.

Starlost
05-29-2007, 12:10 PM
hmm the way I would probably go at this would be to put up a couple of nulls and turn them into hypervoxels give them a gassy like effect and in the middle of them have a point light then use the envelopes an all of them so that the nulls grow quickly and then shrink back down fast while at the same time the point light would go really bright fast ( supernova like ) and then quickly back down to pitch black.
then all you have to do would be select the colors of the hypervoxels that you want them to be. Bluish as in the above linked vids or perhaps reddish or even orange would be good. purple would be different, dont think green would look as cool.
course you may have already tried these options anyhow..

Starlost..

Jedi21
05-31-2007, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.

Im still trying to get the right effect. I may have to go the partical illusion rout.

The origional effect just looks like its a few partical emmiters and a lense flair, but the one im trying to do is the version commonly seen on atlantis with the tendril like energy patern.

Keep the ideas commin guys. =)

essencedesign
06-01-2007, 03:19 PM
this effect was done in comp using Saphire plug ins, specifially 3D stroke , and a few other goodies I cant remember off the top of my head.

cheers
Jer