PDA

View Full Version : LW (not responding)

Willax
04-11-2007, 07:59 PM
I recently moved my LW9 to a new computer, and it was working fine until a couple days ago. Now when I start Modeler, it just hangs and eventually I get a "not responding" error message. Sometimes when I start with Layout first, Layout will start ok, but after about 10 seconds the view turns to white and then I get the "not responding" message. I've tried exiting the hub, but same outcome there. I keep getting the "not responding" message. Last night I kept trying over and over and eventually I got them both to respond and working for a couple hours, but tonight no luck. Anyone got any suggestions on what's going on and how I can get my LW9 working?

Willax
04-11-2007, 10:59 PM
slight update. I can get Layout to load and work, but Modeler still hangs up and I have to ctrl-alt-del out

Surrealist.
04-11-2007, 11:22 PM
Try renaming the LWM9 config file. LW will rewrite it. If that does not work cut and paste all your config files into a back up folder and start it fresh so none of the configs are used. (new ones will be written on LW start up) If that does not work delete those new configs and reinstall.

Dodgy
04-12-2007, 03:21 AM
Try deleting the lwhub.cfg first, sometime it gets buggy and needs a clean version. Then it might work.

Willax
04-12-2007, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the help with this. I deleted those cfg files that were mentioned and at least modeler will start up and work, although it still seems to be slow responding to actions. And when I shut down, it's not immediate. It actually takes about 10-15 seconds to respond to the shutdown, but at least it's working now. :thumbsup:

Willax
04-12-2007, 07:40 PM
Ok new addition to this problem. I load object into Modeler. I cannot manipulate it at all. I get a window that says object is read only. I check properties of file. Read only is NOT checked. So I create a new object from scratch, save it, shut down and reload object. I try to manipulate object and it says "cannot change object it is read only" What the heck is going on with LW here?

Surrealist.
04-12-2007, 10:08 PM
At this point I might try just downloading the program again or reinstalling it from the CD. I am not saying that is going to solve it. But you should eliminate that from the equation to be sure that the file itself is not corrupt.

Then I would stat looking at your system. But do this first.

Willax
04-12-2007, 11:28 PM
I uninstalled LW9 and reinstalled it from the disc and I'm still getting the same problems. I'm very confused as to why it was working fine two days ago and now all of a sudden it's whacky. I have done all the virus scans, system checks, etc. The only thing that may have changed is a recent XP update, but I can't verify that as the cause of the problem because I've never gotten windows restore to work yet, even though it's turned on. Oh well.

Surrealist.
04-13-2007, 02:48 AM
OK, do you have the latest build? You can download that. So if the windows XP changed...

Well OK, so it was working fine, then something changed...

Question though. When you reinstalled did you make sure and delete the config files? Because if you don't will will use the same ones and uninstall does not get rid of them. Just make sure you are going completely fresh.

Just need to get that out of the way too. Then assuming all is well there we have to look at your system. And the XP update could have done it - who knows. But a likely culprit could be your graphics card. What kind do yo have?

Willax
04-13-2007, 10:07 AM
Richard, thanks for hanging in there with me on this. When I reinstalled I did get rid of the .cfg files. And in regards to the latest build, I did not sign up for the 9.2 beta so I'm using 9.0. Another person suggested I sign up for the beta, so I may do that. My graphics card is Gforce 6600GT. My concern about the XP update is that even though restore points are set, and my system is set up to USE restore points, I have NEVER been able to restore to a previous date with it on any system I've had, so that's not going to be helpful.

Surrealist.
04-13-2007, 12:56 PM
I see yeah, I was just wondering if that had messed with the video card somehow - a long shot perhaps. But regarding the latest build I meant the latest 9.0 which you can download. I was thinking it might be more recent than the CD but come to think of it that might not be the way it works with NT.

9.2 might get you rover the hump has they have killed a lot of bugs. (And I can tell you it is a much nicer than 9.0 in a lot of respects.)

Also Have you checked any XP forums for help with the restore feature?

Wonderpup
04-13-2007, 01:08 PM
a lot of people were finding that 9 ran a lot better with the hub disabled.

Willax
04-13-2007, 11:08 PM
Well, I went ahead and dl LW9.2beta and the problem hasn't shown up yet.
I haven't checked the xp forums about system restore. Microsofts own web site certainly wasn't helpful.

Surrealist.
04-13-2007, 11:16 PM
Very good. glad you got it sorted out. You'll enjoy a few new tools in modeler and well, many improvements to rendering.

Hope it is stable for you.