PDA

View Full Version : How do you create a bunch of leaves?

bluemars
04-11-2007, 02:43 AM
Hey guys, its me again, does anyone know how to create a bunch of leaves(like over hundreds) and have them laying on the ground piling onto each other? like the fallen leaves laying on the ground during Autumn, here is an image of what i'm talking about ( http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e1/Autumn_leaves_on_ground.jpg/180px-Autumn_leaves_on_ground.jpg )

I don't want them to move or animate them, i just want them to lay there on the ground, but does anyone know a way where i can easily create a bunch of leaves? like i'm tired of copy and paste and move it leaves into poistion, it's taking for ever, so does lightwave have a random generator or something? thanks in advance

zardoz
04-11-2007, 02:57 AM
before creating tons of polygons maybe you could simply clone the leaves in photoshop, maybe create two or three images of leaves on the ground and in lightwave create two or three subdivided meshes where you could place these leaves with transparency on top of each other and use the alfas for some minor displacement or bump map. If this is not enough maybe you could try it with articles and fx linker. :)

bluemars
04-11-2007, 03:33 AM
But wouldn't the leaves looks flat? i want the leaves to cast shadows and look 3 dimensional,! any other ways?

colkai
04-11-2007, 04:23 AM
nope, the leaves, if clip-mapped, will look 3D and will cast shadows. You'd be surprised just how much 3D stuff out there uses this technique.

zardoz
04-11-2007, 04:24 AM
well like I said you can use particles (and not articles like I wrote in the previous post...this 5 minute edit restriction...argh) and fxlinker...I still think that with some displacement and alphas (not alfas...5 minute edit restriction again :( ) you can get a cool effect. Maybe later I'll try this one and see what results can I get.

bluemars
04-11-2007, 06:18 AM
thanks zardoz, that would be great, please post a pics if you can!!!

flydls
04-11-2007, 12:26 PM
try this tut ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/LightWave/Tutorials/Vidz/PointClone.mov
watch the whole video,the last half is what you want.

Silkrooster
04-11-2007, 06:14 PM
Here's a fall silver maple leaf.
Silk

stib
04-11-2007, 08:23 PM
Better than point clone plus is point clone extra. Available on Flay (http://flay.com/GetDetail.cfm?ID=1319).

It can line up the clones to the normals as well as randomising them.

Another technique for leaves is to use a whole lot of planes with leaf patterns as clip maps. So each plane will be a whole bunch of leaves, clone them around the ends of your branches. Not for close-up work obviously.

bluemars
04-12-2007, 01:51 AM
thanks guys for the help! but my shot is close up, so,,, any other ideas?

colkai
04-12-2007, 02:02 AM
How close? are we talking right against the tree here?

zardoz
04-12-2007, 02:56 AM
so...maybe you could mix the two techinques...have some displaced planes with clipmaps of leaves and then near the camera you could have some individual leaves...is this for a still or for an animation?

bluemars
04-12-2007, 03:17 AM
It's a still image, and my shot is not right against the tree, but it's pretty close up! thanks guys!