PDA

View Full Version : nottingham cg user group

cresshead
04-10-2007, 06:45 PM
hi all just a reminder next cg artist meeting!
started out as ex college student group where i taught lightwave, combustion and 3dsmax.

open to all!

april meeting:-nottingham
saturday 14 april
10:30am library building in nottingham
off the town square nr the mac donalds/burger king
upstairs on the 3rd/4th floor
where the coffee machines seats /pc are...
from there at around 1pm we'll have lunch in a pub...

be there... or be a triangle!

http://www.venusrises.com/templates/rhuk_planetfall/images/venus_rises_header.jpg
re venus rises scifi film i'm working on....
http://www.venusrises.com
i will be bringing some venus rises promotional freebies to handout
for those who want it... :D

see ya there!

stee+cats

Kevbarnes
04-12-2007, 12:06 PM
I'll try and make it.

The Library?

Is it the one near Maid Marian Way, looking on the map its called
Central Library, Angel Row.

Kev

cresshead
04-12-2007, 12:25 PM
that's the one!
http://www.cresshead.com/wip/cgi_venue_nottingham.jpg

it'll be upstairs...one the 2nd or 3rd floor there's some internat computer room and at the end of that room are coffee machines and chairs/tables

email me if you need more info

cresshead
04-12-2007, 12:35 PM
or visit our forum
http://z12.invisionfree.com/razor1/index.php?act=idx

http://www.cresshead.com/competition1/banner.gif

cresshead
04-14-2007, 04:52 PM
thanks kev for travelling all the way upto notts for the meeting, hope you found it was intersting and informative on the other app front such as max and character studio...also the info on fprime, lightwave 9.2beta render and chatting about mimic pro and also the auto riggers for lightwave:- td4 and meastro.

i'd like to hear more about yoyr time illustratinfg book covers sometime as that's something i'#d like to get into in future.

Kevbarnes
04-15-2007, 06:11 AM
Hi Steve

Many thanks for hosting the meet; it was great to be able to chat 3D.
We certainly covered a lot of topics,
I shall definitely check out the Character Studio in Max, particularly with regards to exporting mdd files back into Lightwave.

I’m looking forward to 9.2 beta updates you where talking about.

Book Cover work
Start by checking out ‘The Writers and Artists Year Book’ you’ll find it in the Library or local book store – it list all publishers, their Imprints, Genre and Art Directors names, a valuable resource for making first contact.

I look forward to meeting the group again.

300 Link
Here is the link to the PromoVid for the 300 Spartans Movie originally from Newtek newsletter 27 march.
Studio: Pixel Magic and Screaming Death Monkey
http://www.newtek-europe.com/uk/community/lightwave/newtek_300/1.html

Kev

cresshead
04-15-2007, 10:45 AM
cheers
here's a 3dsmax crash course video from autowotnot so your not lost when you have a bash in max
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=9028939&linkID=9241175&CMP=ILC-MEHP-K1

cresshead
04-30-2007, 11:02 AM
may 2007 nottingham 3d artist user meeting

date:- either 12th or 19 of may....
let me know which is preferable

this month we'll be looking at:-
Using bvh motion capture on your characters:-

lightwave:- how to set your character up in modeler and layout to use motion capture files.
here's my w.i.p....will have this sorted 100% by the time the meeting is near.
http://www.cresshead.com/wip/anime_lw_mocap_test.gif
http://www.cresshead.com/wip/anime_dance_test.gif
http://www.cresshead.com/wip/anime_lateral_test.gif

3dsmax how to import, thin data, extract footsteps/covert to keys/save bips/ save figs for reuse on your characters and look at layers too.

also
character modeling with lightwave amd 3dsmax + polyboost

making faces/heads
making polyhair
making bodies and clothing
attatching heads to bodies and reducing/stitching geometry.

as well all the usual stuff like chit chat and what your currently upto plus
the collection of brain power there to help solve any problems your currently stuck with in 3d,2d, video etc..and cheap coffee!

bring your scenes/vids if you need to.

kopperdrake
04-30-2007, 11:45 AM
I'd love to make it for that - but can only do the 12th May :) I'll keep an eye on the dates for any future stuff though incase I can't make this one! Great idea :thumbsup:

cresshead
04-30-2007, 04:49 PM
may19th 2007 3d user group

date now confirmed

for those who can't make it there will another meeting in june....we're trying to do this once a month so that people who can't make it one month can try the next month.:thumbsup:

barnabythebear
04-30-2007, 05:30 PM
Hi,

Is this anywere near the train station?? My only points of reference are the Rescue Rooms and Rock City :)

thanks

nige

cresshead
04-30-2007, 05:46 PM
it's the nottingham lib building just off from the market square

from the train station you'd walk thru broadmarsh shopping centre, and out...up the main shops paved area to the square with the fountains...once there you'd walk arcoss and left heading for the 2 fast food shops burger king and mc donalds which are nr nxt to each other...past them on the same side of the street and you'll be on ''angle row'' which is where the lib building is...
once inside go up a couple of floors and you'll find there's an internet room with some tables n chairs at the far end and some cheap nasty coffee machines!....hey the venue's quite an free so can't grumble too much!

kopperdrake
05-01-2007, 06:25 AM
Ah shame - see you in June then (hopefully) :D

cresshead
05-16-2007, 07:39 PM
just a heads up that the next 3d user group is for this weekend, 19th MAY over in nottingham see our forum here:-
http://z12.invisionfree.com/razor1/index.php?showtopic=1377&st=0&#last

cresshead
05-19-2007, 10:12 AM
just wanted to pass on a thanks for all those that made it to the May 3D user group
over in Nottingham...
we'll have another one in June on either Saturday 16th June or 23rd June...
which one not sure as yet but will confirm near the date.

as discussed i'll make a couple of videos for those who requested them on the subjects of
1.motion capture in lightwave and 3dsmax
2.cel shading/line shading/lighting in lightwave
3.line render fixups with tv paint
4.compositing with lightwave and combustion scene
5.doors/windows in max
6.layers in max
7.basic spline line modeling in 3dsmax

i'll share the hi res vids via 'tubesnow'
http://www.tubesnow.com/

and low res versions will be uploaded onto youtube just search for cresshead and you'll find my videos.

cheers for now!

stee+cats

cresshead
06-08-2007, 05:54 AM
next meeting is 23rd JUNE 2007 same place same time!

cresshead
06-22-2007, 11:13 AM
that's tomorrow btw!...saturday!...around 10:30am same place...

see you there, bring a usb key if you want to take a copy of the videos back with you.

cresshead
06-24-2007, 06:37 AM
user meeting was pretty good, probably the most focused so far...and we also went on a mystery tour around the city too!

looking back at what i've personally done since the last meeting well i look to have been fairly busy...not paid work for the most part but extending my capabilites and creating quite abit of content as well as pushing forward my personal projects:-

childrens book
venus rises sci fi effect shots/scenes
anime short film [not much froom that last month]
retro sci fi micro project
general modeling
history project covering a local iron age hill fort
TRS video promo project [2 day project]

plus nano project helping out no a national geographic tv production [file transfer issues]

craig got 3 hours video training from autodesk on max 9...
also some training clips to watch on z brush 3

paul will bring that again next meeting so you have it too...forgot to move it to your pc as well [opps!]

here's a set of location piks i took with my camera on my sony psp on the way there.

http://www.cresshead.com/notts_user_group/notts_user_meeting_location_piks.jpg

cresshead
07-10-2007, 08:51 AM
t's that time again!

this one's abit short notice but some stuff has come up so i'll be in notts this saturday anyhow..so why not make it a meetng day?

so...

14th july saturday

things on the agenda...

siggraph...
mental ray
vue
lightsnack vs the world!
zbrush3
game dev for the xbox 360 [3dbuzz]
totally rad show stuff...
felix...
bryce 6
poser 7

...and all things cool!

same time 10amish...
same place

bluerider
07-18-2007, 11:11 AM
like your tour of Nottingham :D .

P.S. What ever happened to Nottingham Forest?

cresshead
07-18-2007, 12:09 PM
re nottingham forest:-i think most of the trees are there...certainly the robin hood oak is..no doubt some has turned over to farming but there's definate forest areas...have a look over on google earth for a upto date view of the forest area.

bluerider
07-18-2007, 02:21 PM
I meant the football team, however i greatly appreciate the update and the trees hanging around Nottingham, its good for oxygenating the earth and all that.

Google earth is awesome

cresshead
07-20-2007, 09:59 AM
i thought you did, but seeing as i loath sports except F1, athletics and cycling...well the trees won!

bluerider
07-20-2007, 11:29 AM
don't you think F1 has become sterile. Just my thoughts.

speaking of cycling I love les triplettes de belleville :)

cresshead
07-20-2007, 11:56 AM
pretty much...F1...i havn't watched F1 this year...no real characters now that schumacher left..he was the one that entertained...that lewis hamilton islike a robot...boring...need some punch ups like the old days with nigel mansell!

the tracks have become sterile ad so have the cars...

bluerider
07-20-2007, 01:51 PM
I think schumacher was the riun of F1. I hated the crap about other drivers in his team not being allowed to beat him, standard practice. Also how he would blatantly cheat and not be penalised.

Now Sena, their was the greatest.

But really....you can't beat Scalextric :) wheres my JPS, I'll pretend I'm James Hunt beating the Elf Team. Those banked curves where silly.

cresshead
07-20-2007, 02:03 PM
senna had a very WIDE car that seemed to weave from one side of the track to the other..he would't be able to drive like that these days..people over rate him

n mansell NEVER gave up in a race...many a time he was down in 12th and at the end he either won or came 2nd or 3rd....great racer..schumi also did similar feats....great driver and so was mikka, Damon Hill, Niki Lauda,

anyhow we're going off topic....

we'll have another meeting in mid august oveer in Notts.

bluerider
07-20-2007, 02:09 PM
Topic....now there was a great chocolate bar. Sorry, I should know better. I'll stop :) .

kopperdrake
07-22-2007, 05:37 PM
Gah - just came on to see when the next meet was and noticed it was today - lol! Haven't checked the forums in a while, too much on, must try and keep up!

Kevbarnes
07-23-2007, 02:55 AM
Gah - just came on to see when the next meet was and noticed it was today - lol! Haven't checked the forums in a while, too much on, must try and keep up!

Hi Duncan

Let me know when you can make it - I would like to meet up again.

Im working from home today seeing that all the roads to Gloucester are shut

Didn't get home on friday night, I spent 4hrs in traffic then abbandoned car in 3ft of water to walk to my Wifes work place to spend the night, Kids home alone with Power cut. but they did themselves proud.

kopperdrake
07-23-2007, 04:24 AM
omg Kev - I forgot you lived down that way :( We couldn't believe the stuff shown on the news! We were only down at Fairford for the airshow last weekend, my parents came back the day before the rain hit.

Seriously, if you get caught properly we've a couple of spare rooms you can use til things get sorted - that is if our move goes ahead okay in the next month or so. Is your house out of any flood plain?

Kevbarnes
07-24-2007, 03:19 AM
Thanks for the offer and thoughts, much appreciated.

We are fine here in the Forest of Dean but all roads into Gloucester are shut still, I think the motorways are ok. Car at garage being checked over??.

I'm at home still, I'm playing with LW Particle emitters at the moment trying to create Gold Numbers to fill up like a molten liquid FX.

Kev

kopperdrake
07-24-2007, 04:22 AM
Ooh - I posted a thread here a while ago about this sort of thing, any use?

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44468&highlight=molten+ore

Kevbarnes
07-24-2007, 07:46 AM
This sounds interesting - I followed the link but the reference from JereremyHardin at 3dfightclub is dead. do you have any other info on using the the image map

I'll try and post a movie sample of what I have so far; In your 'Molten metal ' Thread.

kev

cresshead
07-30-2007, 08:19 PM
next 3d user group meeting 18th august

kopperdrake
07-31-2007, 08:44 AM
What time do you start?

richdj
08-06-2007, 06:48 AM
We normally start between 10 and 10:30..

cresshead
08-10-2007, 07:43 AM
yeah..see ya all there on 18th august
it's a cg newtworking thing..not just lightwave chit chat...we'll happily chat about
lightwave, z brush, 3dsmax, maya, combustion, cinema4d, silo, realflow....all the ususal suspects!

cresshead
08-18-2007, 10:28 AM
hi

kopperdrake came over [he's an active lightwave artist from newtek forums] from derby...also paul g was there too...not too many this time...seems craig e got some wires crossed on the date!..and rich dj was having too much fun locking people up!...others were probably absent due to tha fantastic summer heat wave were yet to have such as basil, keith and mike!

we had a pretty good chat though on all things 3d from lighting, nodes, 9.2, the future of lightwave what's modo all about, xsi mod tool...that darned 3dsmax kept making appearences throughout the conversation!....animated characters in arch des scenes
and quite a bit more too...

lets hope to see some more faces on the sept user group if poss!

kopperdrake
08-18-2007, 12:35 PM
Hey - good to finally meet you cress, and Paul too :) It was great to hear about others' work flows, even if they insist on using Max ;) I'm going to make characters in arch viz scenes the personal nut for me to crack, as and when I get the time to sit down and experiment.

:thumbsup:

cresshead
08-18-2007, 06:22 PM
hey and thanks for the meal!

here's that nottingham studio portfolio i was talking about:[retro design]:D
http://www.cresshead.com/wip_wait/retro_design_sml.jpg

Kevbarnes
08-19-2007, 04:04 AM

Good to hear you had a good time - Hope to make the next one

Kev

cresshead
08-19-2007, 11:28 PM
well start at the same place next time but move onto a coffee shop or pub after the lib closes at 1pm.

no date set as yet...probably around mid september on a saturday

my latest update for venus rises btw.
http://www.cresshead.com/venus_rises/moon/space_lift_interior.jpg

cheers

kopperdrake
08-20-2007, 06:22 AM
See what you mean cress ;)

Here's mine:

http://www.bfcc.co.uk/

I'll likely not be able to make one before October - we move house (hopefully) on the 7th Sept, then hols until the 24th...great timing :eek:

cresshead
08-20-2007, 06:45 AM
ahh see you you mean! [hand drawn stuff]...though i actually like it much more than the notts portfolio...it's sorta grows on you...like a fungus!

Infinite
08-25-2007, 03:32 AM
If I can, I would like to try and hook up with you guys if possible :)

cresshead
08-25-2007, 03:37 AM
sure no problemo!

next user group will be mid september...date not confirmed as yet.

cresshead
08-29-2007, 11:41 PM
HI thought i'd drop this bit of info in as we talked about getting walking characters in scene to add some life to a arch viz scene ...
without headaches!
looks like poser pro my do the job quite well for you...no pricing as yet but it seems to have hooks to all the major apps icluding our beloved lightwave!

so adding motion captured characters into a scene should be pretty simple
with abit of luck!

http://www.e-frontier.com/go/poserpro

i'm also going to have a look at moving rigged characters from max over to xsi then to lightwave..use xsi as a 'filter'...
could work out okay!

kopperdrake
08-30-2007, 06:20 AM
Mmm...thanks for that :D I had a look at MB and got it working, then discovered the price!! Eek! XSI was the other option but I'm packing boxes at the moment in any spare time I get. However, if Poser Pro would let me take rigged characters from Lightwave using LWDave's skeleton (or my own feeble attempt) and animate them there and bring them back in then all's well :)

Cheers!

cresshead
08-31-2007, 07:37 PM
to Kev barnes

have to taken a look at the newtek video from jonny palchetti...he's using lightwave for gambling machines...and there's some experimental features that's in lightwave for that from the info on the video...

http://www.newtek.com/sigvideos/

Kevbarnes
09-01-2007, 09:40 AM
This looks interesting, the entire interface is designed and visualised in LW. Its good to see a focus on the industry.

Thanks for the heads Up - Ill check out the IGT site for further info.

Kev

bobakabob
09-01-2007, 11:33 AM
hi

kopperdrake came over [he's an active lightwave artist from newtek forums] from derby...also paul g was there too...not too many this time...seems craig e got some wires crossed on the date!..and rich dj was having too much fun locking people up!...others were probably absent due to tha fantastic summer heat wave were yet to have such as basil, keith and mike!

we had a pretty good chat though on all things 3d from lighting, nodes, 9.2, the future of lightwave what's modo all about, xsi mod tool...that darned 3dsmax kept making appearences throughout the conversation!....animated characters in arch des scenes
and quite a bit more too...

It would be great to take time out of my attic Lightwave lab and meet up with you guys. I'd like to know more about FPrime and Lightwave / Pointoven / XSI pipelines (not forgetting ZBrush which I'm still learning) so if any of you are experts all the better. Keep us posted :thumbsup:

cresshead
09-21-2007, 11:26 AM
just to let you all know i can't make a september meeting due to production of VR beeing so close...

so go ahead and have one without me if you want to...
other than that i shoudl be able to make a october meeting
once VR shots are in the bag.

later dudes!

Kevbarnes
12-25-2007, 06:00 AM
Merry Christmas everyone

just about to have dinner now - opening presents later

Hopefully meet up in the new year

regards kevin

cresshead
12-25-2007, 07:15 AM
merry christmas to you too!

we'll get back into the swing of notts user meetings in the new year...currently searching for a better venue..one that doesn't close at 1pm on a saturday...just need to find somewhere with tables, coffee and somewhere to plug in a laptop.

if we can't find somewhere new we'll be back at the lib building!

cresshead
02-06-2008, 11:20 AM
next meeting...yeah i know it's been a while! :D

okay next meeting is saturday 16th feb 2008
10am at the nottingham library building on the 2nd floor where the
internet pc's are.

we'll be kicked out at 1pm so we'll move on to a pub or have lunch
somewhere if you want to.

see you there!

...ohh let me know if you can make that date or not if possible

stee+cats :)

cresshead
02-14-2008, 11:12 AM
just another bump to say sat 16th feb is just a few days away now

see you there if you can make it over to notts...if not we'll hope to have this once a month anyhow..
catch you later

http://www.cresshead.com/notts_user_group/notts_user_meeting_location_piks.jpg

same image!...just to help you locate where to go!

steve g

kopperdrake
02-15-2008, 11:12 AM
cresshead - sorry mate I was hoping to make it tomorrow but I'll be working instead :( yay...

cresshead
02-15-2008, 12:00 PM
no probs...my pc's will be rendering tomorrow so i'm sorta free!

we'll try n make it monthly again anyhow now that the darkness of winter is moving off to be replaced by spring/summer!

so i'll give a little more notice for a march user group too!

cresshead
02-16-2008, 02:16 PM
today's user group was a bit different today, i showed some of my work for
Venus Rises and loaded up a couple of scenes and models, talked about moving lightwave models to 3dsmax and the pitfalls of getting the model screwed up via obj format and some novel ways to fix it so you don't have to hand flip
the polys that flip out with obj export from lightwave.

also looked at reference images for future work for craig who's helping on the production of VR...and of course couldn't help but show off my new laptop!:thumbsup:

also chatted about home security webcams:hey:
and then on to so 2d stuff!

At today's user group i showed 'pencil' the free 2d animation app and have tonight found a neat little
tutorial to get you up n running with the app.

it's available as a divx and also on youtube [lower quality but simple to play]

divx version [larger]
http://www.stage6.com/user/apelsinchoklad/video/1996089/the-bouncing-ball-tutorial

youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuLbgFzg9vs&eu

there's no narration and it has a tune over it so you may want to turn down the sound a bit.

to get the app go here>>
http://www.les-stooges.org/pascal/pencil/index.php?id=Home

it's available on windows, mac osx and also ubuntu linux as well.

err did i mention it's FREE?

regarding today's user group over in notts, thanks to everyone who made it over,
and i hope to see those who couldn't get there next time!

http://www.les-stooges.org/pascal/pencil/contents//Home/pencil-home.png

cresshead
06-21-2008, 12:48 PM
so ya want another 3d artist meeting in notts soon?...
we're in mid 2008 so we really should have one eh!

if so, when's a good friday/saturday for ya?

bobakabob
07-02-2008, 05:01 PM
:D Thanks for being proactive Cresshead. I'd be on for a LW meetup soon, but prefer a pub environment rather than library. Kopperdrake... Infinite and all you other Northern Lightwavers... fancy a pint?!

PS I don't really hate Max, I'm secretly in awe of anyone who can make a fool of those panels ;)

kopperdrake
07-02-2008, 05:54 PM
A grubby northern gathering? Up fer it! As Bob says, would much prefer a pub though. Is the Trip to Jerusalem near to Nottingham station?

If you fancy Derby then there's the Brunswick Inn over the road from Derby train station - brews its own beer and serves food.

http://www.brunswickinn.co.uk/about.html

:P

bobakabob
07-02-2008, 06:11 PM
Yeah, there are some good real ale pubs in Derby... also Nott's Trip to Jerusalem would be a sound destination. How about next Friday / Saturday? (11/ 12th June) Or the week after? What are Infinite, Qexit, Dodgy, Colkai doing?

cresshead
07-03-2008, 11:26 AM
well it's the lib's pc/coffee room not sitting amongst books really!
and we ususally meet there for a chat before moving on to either a fast food place or opt for a liquid lunch somewhere around dinner time

anyhow this sat around 10:30-45am at lib...then off to who know's where
you casn always call me to find out where we are later on the day.

kopperdrake
07-03-2008, 12:09 PM
Soz Cress - can't do this Saturday - my parents are down from Scotland (rare occasion) :( Next one I guess :(

Dunk

cresshead
07-03-2008, 12:13 PM
no prbs..we'll sort another one in a few weeks as well.

cresshead
07-05-2008, 12:05 AM
i'll be arriving in nottingham around for around 10am

cresshead
07-05-2008, 10:25 AM
hi
just to say thanks to craig, mike and keith for turning up to the meeting today..
hope to see more people on the next one if the summer holidays are done and dusted

we also found a pretty good pub too for lunch [oldest in england]

with the next one we should endevour to get some stuff done as well as have a general chat.
my HP tablet pc has most of the software you use day to day on it so we can cover many areas
and solve problems or teach 'how to'.

3ds max
lightwave
zbrush
tv paint
art rage
xara xtreeme http://www.xara.com/us/
corel
p shop
vue
flash mx
toon boom studio
and so on

so any problems or questions either bring them with you or email them and i may be able to answer
in a short youtube vid too...

not saying i know everything cos i don't but i can find info on anything..so go for it!

stee+cats

DiscoBurgess
07-28-2008, 08:54 AM
I should probably attend one of these. I work just round the corner from the square... although not on Saturday.

DiscoBurgess
11-11-2008, 09:06 AM
I sure killed this thread.

Otterman
03-12-2009, 07:19 AM
Cresshead....any plans for the next meet? I should like to attend if it falls on a day im available.

cresshead
03-12-2009, 07:36 AM
well i'm 'in between jobs' so have no hassles on timing other than my signing on day!

we've not had a user meeting for AGES...maybe we really should sort something out!

i'll send out an email to people and see what the response back is....