PDA

View Full Version : PlugIns: Which work / DON'T work in Universal?

Activator
04-10-2007, 01:25 PM
I just fired up my shiny new MacPro Dual 2.66 and have been playing with the Universal version of LW 9.2.

I haven't done too much yet, because the IFW plugins that I use for a LOT of my shading/texturing do NOT work in the Universal LW! This is BAD!

So, I thought I'd start a thread where folks can post the plugins they they know DO work or DON'T work in the Universal version of LW.

I'll start:

The shaders.org IFW2 Shader Presets do NOT work.
The Rman Collection (http://perso.orange.fr/dpont/plugins/Textures.htm) also does NOT work.

The Worley labs "Polk Collection" does NOT seem to work.

The tutorfx.com HV-Pro presets DO work.

That's all I've got so far. Thankfully I don't use many 3rd party plugins, but the ones that aren't working yet are a deal-killer for me!

Scazzino
04-10-2007, 01:29 PM
Things like presets and lscripts should work, but none of the binary plugins will work on the UB until they are recompiled in XCode specifically for the UB.

All those shipping with the UB should work of course when that ships, but all third-party binary (.p's) plugins will need new versions for the UB.

Activator
04-10-2007, 01:36 PM
The IFW and Rman presets rely on a plugin... so I guess that's where the problem is.

Lightwolf
04-10-2007, 01:48 PM
I couldn't resist:
exrTrader has been ported: http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=507128&postcount=1
We'll launch it officially on our website once the LW UB has been released to the general public by NT.

Cheers,
Mike

Darth Mole
04-10-2007, 03:24 PM
The guy who writes the IFW shaders is busy working on a UB version at the moment.

Activator
04-10-2007, 03:33 PM
Excellent!

Just ran an un-scientific test by rendering some frames with lots of polys/transparency/reflections/etc in both LW 9 (non UB - running in Rosetta) and LW 9.2 (UB) on the same MacPro Intel Dual 2.66, and the UB version renders roughly 2x faster. I can't wait until the plugins are UB!

Scazzino
04-10-2007, 03:39 PM
Excellent!

Just ran an un-scientific test by rendering some frames with lots of polys/transparency/reflections/etc in both LW 9 (non UB - running in Rosetta) and LW 9.2 (UB) on the same MacPro Intel Dual 2.66, and the UB version renders roughly 2x faster. I can't wait until the plugins are UB!

Wow, then Rosetta's faster than I expected it would be... I would have guessed it would have been less than half the speed...

Activator
04-17-2007, 09:52 AM
I just got word from evasion|3D regarding thier X-dof plugin:

"We have no development schedule for the universal binaries at the moment."

Good to know. This was not a cheap plugin in the 1st place ($199), and now it looks like no UB anytime soon. The plug hasn't been updated since 2002 if that's any indication...

1 down.

Darth Mole
04-17-2007, 11:05 AM
The problem is Evasion wrote some really nice plug-ins but no-one (or not enough people) bought them. They've abandoned their LW plug-in business now, so you can't blame them for not wanting to spend time developing free updates in return for zero cash.

However, there's an issue with Hypersmooth which needs fixing for it run on LW9.2, which they suggest may well be sorted. I figure a quick bug-fix patch is okay; a full recompile is something else.

Phil
04-19-2007, 09:54 AM
- Fiber Factory 4 is on the way to UB LW.
- Maestro 2 doesn't currently work, but an update is planned.
- CR2Loader, etc. will come to UB LW.
- Vue 6 will get LW plugins when the SDK for UB LW is 'gold', according to e-on software.
- Dynamite is planned to get a UB port. The general multithreading issues have also been diagnosed and work is underway to fix the problem, I'm told.
- Taft and Polk are mature plugins from Worley Labs. They tell me that they will attempt a port, but have no idea whether this will be doable or what timescale it might involve
- HDInstance is....uncertain. Graham says he needs to give it some thought. Not sure why, but it's a little disconcerting.
- FPrime 3 will probably be ported, but the statement seems to be couched rather like Taft and Polk.

I don't expect ports of any of Dynamic Realities' products, which is a little sad. Napalm and Impact could have been tempting, but without a cast iron guarantee of a port, I'm staying away from them. DR needs to address its web site so it looks like they are actually open for business.

dglidden
04-19-2007, 10:34 AM
I've got Kevin MacPhail's ODE plugin (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=530892#post530892) mostly ready to go as a Mac Universal version. But I'm really not sure where/how I can release it considering Open Beta NDAs and stuff. I'm sure I can post it to the OB/UB forum, but I don't know if I'm allowed to make it available in general? Who would I ask? (I'll also ask in the OB/UB forum.)

IgnusFast
04-19-2007, 12:47 PM
- FPrime 3 will probably be ported, but the statement seems to be couched rather like Taft and Polk.

I wrote Worley, and they said it would happen, but not until after the UB version of 9.2 leaves beta.