PDA

View Full Version : so.. did you guys ever release a stable version of LW?

hard8
04-10-2007, 12:33 PM
Sorry.. a little venting here. I don't care if anyone is offended.
I have been using Lightwave since it came out for the Mac at v. 5.5.

I can't think of any other software that just crashes for no reason whatsoever. F9: Crash, Save Scene: Crash, Load Object: Crash..etc

Here I am on version 8.5 and I can't render a single frame without the program crashing. Tech support is useless. After asking you what the molecular make up of your hardware is, and telling you that "you really should be using version "X" of OSX (never the version you are currently on)
it always comes to the obvious conclusion... Upgrade.

Only problem is that I have upgraded 7 times and the software is still riddled with bugs. Seriously guys.. when are you going to get it right? I don't need 300 new features every upgrade. I need working software that has some degree of reliabilty. That's the only feature I want.

Please include the new "stability" feature in the next version. Or have someone write the "Make Lightwave Work" plugin.

end rant.

cscardinal
04-10-2007, 01:22 PM
Well said! I was running (not really) version 6.5 for the longest time and got used to all the bugs (I mean features) from running on the Mac.

I will say that LW 9 runs flawlessly under OS X 10.4.9

Really, it does.

eblu
04-10-2007, 01:30 PM
try using Hash Animation Master. much Much MUCH worse. more bugs, less support. They actually suggested you Buy a new machine, and Only install their application in order to avoid "unnecessary conflicts." ridiculous.
and talk about interface... at least Lightwave doesn't have the MS WORD 95 interface, AM apparently still has that.

LW 5.6 was like a dream after AM.

donc
04-10-2007, 02:32 PM
I agree, learning AM was the biggest waste of my professional time in my career thus far - great features, horrible stability - which is why I switched to Lightwave...

I was lucky. I purchased LW for the MAC when it was in version 7.5 and have been watching forums for stability issues ever since. As a result I have hardly upgraded my primary LW setup since.

My LW MAC setup is incredibly stable - OGL, modeling, bones, surface editor, hub, graph editor, rendering, everything works and is as stable as Photoshop! Here are the specs:

- OSX 10.2.8
- LW 7.5c
- ATI 9000 pro (with the ATI Lightwave bugfix driver upgrade installed)

I can't wait to see how the UB version is and hopefully/finally upgrade!!!!!

Darth Mole
04-10-2007, 03:21 PM
Well I know it's not the answer you want, but I've been very impressed by the Open Beta of v9.2. I've used it now for two major projects (in favour of LW9.0) and it's been rally well behaved - barring plug-in incidents I can now actively avoid. I may not be pushing it very hard but it seems to be a sign of good things to come...

Kuzey
04-11-2007, 04:58 AM
The funny thing about LW, is that it might be rock solid (close to it) on one computer and buggy as hell on another identical machine.

For all I know it could be a conflict with LW and the computer's settings like time zone and location etc. I'm just guessing and I'm likely way off target but it kinda explains why one machine will have a problem and another work near perfectly.

Best of luck and I hope you get it working.

Kuzey

colkai
04-11-2007, 05:13 AM
Tis strange for sure.
As Kuzey says, some people bemoan the constant crashes, other work for days with not a single glitch.
My experience falls between that, though it's usually using a 3rd party plugin which causes a crash.
Overall, I find LW far more stable than the development system I use every day, so I live with the odd crash here and there. Plus, I run it on a very low powered system which is still handles without baulking, so I do tend to have a more "shiny" view of it as a consequence.

Boo!
04-12-2007, 11:57 AM
My LW MAC setup is incredibly stable - OGL, modeling, bones, surface editor, hub, graph editor, rendering, everything works and is as stable as Photoshop! Here are the specs:

- OSX 10.2.8
- LW 7.5c
- ATI 9000 pro (with the ATI Lightwave bugfix driver upgrade installed)

I can't wait to see how the UB version is and hopefully/finally upgrade!!!!![/QUOTE]

...im the same here. LW 7.5c and runs really good!. but im running 10.3.9, Dual 1.8 G5 & NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200.:thumbsup:

www.worldrulex.com

___mats___
04-12-2007, 02:19 PM
hmm not so stable here.. both mac/pc, but had to came up with a million workarounds so it doesnt crash as often, still would be nice if it were more stable

toby
04-12-2007, 06:09 PM
The funny thing about LW, is that it might be rock solid (close to it) on one computer and buggy as hell on another identical machine.

Totally. It can also be from different users using it differently and for different things - I almost never have any IK in my scenes for example.

Other relevant issues:
Comparing LW to non-ported applications, written for the mac from the start, LW is clearly less stable.

Coming to the forums with your troubles can get you lots of answers.

Using JPGs as textures, and running with the Hub make LW much less stable.

LW has been very stable for me since OSX, more stable the Windows version, and that's all I can expect. However, with the coming UB version, I do expect it to be more stable!

archiea
04-12-2007, 09:28 PM
try using Hash Animation Master. much Much MUCH worse. more bugs, less support. They actually suggested you Buy a new machine, and Only install their application in order to avoid "unnecessary conflicts." ridiculous.
and talk about interface... at least Lightwave doesn't have the MS WORD 95 interface, AM apparently still has that.

LW 5.6 was like a dream after AM.

AM is $200 and trades features for stability. You get what you pay for. Same could be said for LW as folk here cheer with every price reduction.... You want free x.5 vesions? Great. You get what you pay for.

colkai
04-13-2007, 01:40 AM
Afolk here cheer with every price reduction.... You want free x.5 vesions? Great. You get what you pay for.
..and this is my cue to leave, as the old arguments surface one more. :stop:

eblu
04-13-2007, 02:12 PM
AM is $200 and trades features for stability. You get what you pay for. Same could be said for LW as folk here cheer with every price reduction.... You want free x.5 vesions? Great. You get what you pay for.

no its $300 now.;) But I do agree with you. you "get what you pay for". I refuse however, to accept that Bugs are a part of that equation. Hash trades features for stability, but there is no excuse at any level of development for critical bugs to migrate from one version to the next. period. Hash could easily release a stable product, it would mean less features. they simply choose to release an application that isn't worth spending $300 on.

archiea
04-18-2007, 01:08 PM
no its $300 now.;) But I do agree with you. you "get what you pay for". I refuse however, to accept that Bugs are a part of that equation. Hash trades features for stability, but there is no excuse at any level of development for critical bugs to migrate from one version to the next. period. Hash could easily release a stable product, it would mean less features. they simply choose to release an application that isn't worth spending $300 on.

Hash CAN release a stable product easily?!?!?!? You'e saying that its easy to debug an app, especially one with the complexity of a 3D app? Seriously, look at whats its taken to debug LW... and it still needs work. It ain't easy, nor is it cheap. I think NT tried to address the latter by offering the open beta.. a good compromise considering previous releases.

avkills
04-18-2007, 03:14 PM
Lightwave seems to be a lot more stable if you have lots of RAM for it to use on the Mac side. It seems like the more RAM I add the more stable it gets. ??

Anyway, the UB is looking to be a great release.

-mark

Filmdesigner
04-19-2007, 03:02 AM
The first thing I do when I install LW is move the HUB and HubCommandline files to a separate folder to disable it. This fixes 99% of the crashes I had previously. I have now adapted my work habits to suit this.

S##tty little application caused more grief than anything in my computing life.

Good luck

cresshead
04-19-2007, 04:25 AM
Lightwave seems to be a lot more stable if you have lots of RAM for it to use on the Mac side. It seems like the more RAM I add the more stable it gets. ??

Anyway, the UB is looking to be a great release.

-mark
that's probably down the the memory leaks in lightwave..more memory you have the more it can leak into befor crashing...

i find lightwave crashes on v9 at the end of most renders [f10] which are large..this i believe is down to amemory leak also

lightwave 7.5 was and is the best version for stability overall on mac or pc

mrpapabeis
04-20-2007, 06:56 AM
Hey just a few things i've noticed that cause problems.

1) 3rd party memory. If its "cheap"....well....many crashes.

2) VUE "optimization". If VUE crashes it often asks if you'd like to "optimize" for conflicts. I've learned to press the no thank you button.

3) Unfortunatly Itunes. Every update causes problems. In particular with audio apps. Have to reinstall fresh divers each time.

4) Installs of any kind. Even opening an .sit file corrupts the directory. Every week I run disk warrior and the Norton. I'm still on OS 10.3.9.

5) I teach in a school that runs Maya. Five rooms. Maya crashes often, with no warning. As in the app just shuts down.

6) In truth I would like to have three computers, one for audio, one for video,
and one for 3D. All stripped down to the bear essentials for each app.

7) Adobe After Effects asks if you'd like to save before it crashes. I want a wife like that.

GP

TomT
04-27-2007, 04:57 PM
Get rid of Hub. That will smooth out some problems.

Where I work, LW was reasonably stable for still productions. Problems with animation preview and Quicktime made it unreliable for animation work. Horrific OGL performance on Macs put more nails in the coffin for animation work.

I still fancy LW for stills, but after working in other systems for last year, I wouldn't want to try animating in LW again. (Yes, I'm in the beta, but to comment about it would breach NDA.) I will say this--the UB is the best hope for LW Mac, but the ecosystem (preview render, hair, motion graphics tools, skeleton rigs, a gaggle of modeling plugins) isn't there to support the pipeline.

avkills
04-28-2007, 12:34 AM
4) Installs of any kind. Even opening an .sit file corrupts the directory. Every week I run disk warrior and the Norton. I'm still on OS 10.3.9.

That is very interesting considering that OS X checks the startup disk every time it boots.

You really should not have to run those apps that often if at all. But whatever works for you I guess.

-mark