PDA

View Full Version : How would you recommend I model this?

cramactive
04-10-2007, 09:53 AM
Hello there, I am trying to make a buckyball and what I have now is a simple tesselated sphere which I merged some of the polys on.

What I need to do is have a cylinder go along the polygon lines and spheres where the points are.

I don't know the best way to do this. My first thought was to build a cylinder the same length as the poly edges, position it at the point and measure the angles and adjust to make them the same. Sounds like a bit of work and wanted to see if there was a more efficient way of going about this...

Thanks,

cramactive
04-10-2007, 10:29 AM
here is what I'm trying to end up with:

Ztreem
04-10-2007, 10:43 AM
search for the truss2 plugin on flay.com. It should do what you want.

cagey5
04-10-2007, 10:45 AM
Try a read through this thread..

http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11068

Which funnily enough contains a link to truss on Flay..

Dirk
04-10-2007, 11:23 AM
Use bevel and point clone plus (somewhere in the multiply tab)

copy your object into a new layer (you'll need the basic object for point clone, so don't kill it)

select all polys

with bevel, let's say you shift outwards 40 mm, with an inset of 40 mm (depending on the size of your model and the thickness of the cylinders you want).

use bevel again, again 40 mm, but with an inset of about 53 mm. Just make sure the points of your polygons come really close.

delete the selected polygons. the polygons created by bevel will stay there, since they wheren't selected.

flip the polygons and use merge with fixed distance to close the gaps.

now You should have a closed cage, consisting of four sided beams.

cut out a beam (consisting of 4 polygons) and paste it into a new layer. do that with all beams.

hit tab and You should have a cage of (more or less) round cylinders.

in a new layer, create a small ball for the nodes, scale Your base object to around 102% (because the shift was in outwards direction), and use point clone plus to place the balls.

cresshead
04-10-2007, 11:40 AM
quick model...

http://www.cresshead.com/wip/buckyball.zip

cramactive
04-10-2007, 12:23 PM
Thank you everyone! I think I'm all set.