PDA

View Full Version : IN SEARCH of HUMANS: my little project

wesball
04-10-2007, 01:37 AM
Hi all.

Having learned on Lightwave from the Video Toaster 4000 days, I'm constantly inspired by the cabilities of this little app :lwicon:
I often visit these forums (and others like it) to admire everyone's work. Not content to stay a passive observer forever, I've decided to put my filmschool training to good use, and actually start making something.

I'm setting out to create an independent TV show -- short form, serialized, and distributed online. (I suppose you can't really call it a TV show at all, but because of certain gadgets coming onto the market recently, I'm hoping anything by anyone can be watched on your TV soon) In any case, it's going to be an adventurous sci-fi comedy, using full CG characters, and set in a photo-realistic environment . I know -- sounds ambitous. But I wouldn't have it any other way. :thumbsup:

My goal with this thing? To put Hollywood to shame. I want to do it cheaper, more efficient, and up to at least the same quality. And I think this is possible with today's software and hardware, along with the ability to leverage the talents of other independant artists out there. Thank god for the internet! Lets hope those tubes aren't clogged anytime soon.

I've recently finished a teaser. I'll call it "in beta" since there are a few things that may change. Done in Lightwave and After Effects.

I've also posted a little making-of for anyone interested. You can check it out at the blog homepage. I'll be posting more stuff on my little journey as I go along.

Hope you'll check it out, and would love to hear any reactions (negative or positive).

http://www.insearchofhumans.com/blog/2007/04/03/rough-teaser-trailer-is-up/

Cheers!

voriax
04-10-2007, 03:11 AM
Looking pretty professional so far!
The camerawork goes a long way to selling the visuals, which are great on their own anyway..
I look forward to seeing more..more..more!

bobakabob
04-10-2007, 04:06 AM
Nice work! I really like the descent to earth and the cloud layers are superb. Any insight on the techniques you used in Lightwave? :thumbsup:

wesball
04-10-2007, 04:22 AM
Any insight on the techniques you used in Lightwave? :thumbsup:

You can check out the little screencapture session where I walk through one of the shots.

http://www.insearchofhumans.com/blog/2007/04/06/making-of-1-teaser-shot/

serge
04-10-2007, 04:41 AM
Looking good, Wes! It's great to see ambitious talented people working on personal projects. I hope you won't get a job offer anytime soon, cause I'd really like to see more of this! :)

The music is great and at Hollywood level. Can you tell a bit more about the music?

Good luck and I hope to see more soon.

And thanks for the "Making of" movie. Well done. :thumbsup:

wesball
04-10-2007, 05:30 AM
The music.

Weeeeelllllll.... there's a reason it's sounds like hollywood. It is.

Sadly... when I mention it's beta, the music is the one thing that will have to change. Which is too bad, because I think it works really well. It's from an existing movie soundtrack -- pieces of 2 movie scores actually. Any soundtrack-buffs out there know which two movies? :)

Unless I can get the rights to use this music, it'll have to be replaced at some point. :thumbsdow

I have -- officially-- used movie music before in a student production, but it was something of an ordeal to get the rights. It was a lot of paper work and dead-ends, only to get festival and non-commercial rights.

I'm toying around with getting some form of rights to lesser known classical works and incorporating that style of music into the show. I've got one in particular I'm using for the full trailer I'm working on now. We'll see how it works out.

I LOVE big, orchestral music and I'm determined to use it. However, I think it will probably be the biggest challenge on the whole project. How do you get an orchestra sound without the expensive orchestra? But even if I have to learn how to play the violin myself, I guarantee you we're gonna hear some non-synthesized strings in there!

Tom Wood
04-10-2007, 06:02 AM
The video played as a series of still images for me, is that right?

bobakabob
04-10-2007, 06:06 AM
Wes,

Enjoyed the Making Of... thanks for sharing your compositing techniques in Lightwave. The fog works a treat in this shot. You should definitely go for original music... there must be a soundtrack composer out there who'd want to collaborate on this.

LW_jackn
04-10-2007, 06:09 AM
oh my... a "Making of..." the entry shot would be nice...

That Earth image looks familiar... :) Apollo?

IgnusFast
04-10-2007, 07:44 AM
The music.

Weeeeelllllll.... there's a reason it's sounds like hollywood. It is.

Sadly... when I mention it's beta, the music is the one thing that will have to change. Which is too bad, because I think it works really well. It's from an existing movie soundtrack -- pieces of 2 movie scores actually. Any soundtrack-buffs out there know which two movies? :)

One sounded like Close Encounters, but I'm not sure about the other one. E.T. maybe? :)

GORGEOUS, otherwise. Nice angles on the entry shots, beautiful smoke effects.

The space pan was a little long, if only because the starfield seems so, well, flat. I'm not looking for Star Trek stars that pass between the ship and the camera; it could just be the low resolution of the movie render, but the stars seem kind of grey and uninteresting until the UFO comes into view.

Weepul
04-10-2007, 02:44 PM
If the earth in the first shot is rendered, I'd be very interested to get a breakdown of how you did it, especially the clouds. :)

serge
04-10-2007, 04:03 PM
... the music is the one thing that will have to change. Which is too bad, because I think it works really well.
Yes, that sucks. The music fits perfectly.

How do you get an orchestra sound without the expensive orchestra?
A sequencer (like Cubase), a sampler and good sample CD's. If you're not able to produce the music yourself you should find a composer who's willing to collaborate, like Bobakabob mentioned.

Thomas M.
04-10-2007, 04:07 PM
To put Hollywood to shame.

Don't you bother. 90% of all Hollywood productions are already a shame. No need to go any further.

I want to do it cheaper, more efficient, and up to at least the same quality.

What kind of a wired approach is this? Are you a student who desperately wants to get into business? Making it cheaper will get you a job once or twice, but will lower marketprices in general with the same client expectations. So in the end you are just making the business harder for everybody, yourself included. Because one day the china man will be even cheaper and pushing you out of business. Can't you guys just think around the next corner about the consequences of your crusade?

serge
04-10-2007, 04:28 PM
Geez Thomas. He's only talking about the production. What's wrong with producing Hollywood level work for a fraction of a Hollywood budget?

Now Wesball, be sure to ask an unreasonable amount of cash when you sell your work, so you keep us all in business. ;)

wesball
04-10-2007, 05:17 PM
To put Hollywood to shame.
Don't you bother. 90% of all Hollywood productions are already a shame. No need to go any further.

I wouldn't sell Hollywood so short. Their quality is nothing to balk at. It's usually better than anything else out there ... foreign or independent. If you're talking about story, then I'd agree with you. But in terms of quality of production, Hollywood still sets the bar.

I want to do it cheaper, more efficient, and up to at least the same quality.

What kind of a wired approach is this? Are you a student who desperately wants to get into business?

Actually I'm already in the business. I was a student about 4 years ago, which is where I made my calling-card short that won a bunch of awards, most notably a Student Academy Award. Yes - I've got a mini oscar sitting on my shelf collecting dust. :) This short opened the door to agents and managers and lawyers and all the excesses of the film biz.

My day job is doing freelance VFX and animation work for Film and TV.

About two years ago (I was around 23 or so), I sold a pitch to Warner Brothers for an original movie. It was a great experience whie it lasted. I worked with writers and various producers and executives. We developed the hell out of it for a year and half and the project went absolutely nowhere. It died a slow, agonizing death. So now, I've decided I don't need to go through that again. I don't need Hollywood. I will at some point, but not starting out. I think I can create a product, gather a loyal fanbase, and wait for Hollywood to come to the project. Then I'll be holding the cards, and I can tell them how its going to work.

Making it cheaper will get you a job once or twice, but will lower marketprices in general with the same client expectations. So in the end you are just making the business harder for everybody, yourself included. Because one day the china man will be even cheaper and pushing you out of business. Can't you guys just think around the next corner about the consequences of your crusade?

Well.

I don't know how familiar you are with the business, but costs are drastically inflated. Things simply don't need to cost as much as they do... especially with cheap, advanced tools like Lightwave at our disposal. Producers and Studios make most of the money. Not the creators. Simple as that. So if we cut out the middle man, that means we can remove a big chunk of costs. And the creators can make the same amount they've been making... maybe more.

I don't think I'm hurting anyone's business. There will always be a financially viable place for talented artists. Period. The business models may have to change. We may have to wait for audiences to embrace alternatives to mainstream content, but I think the future is birght for talented people, working together on a project from the comfort of their own homes, not driven by silly release dates.

You're right, there may be consequences to my "crusade". But the web and broadband has opened up a new world to all of us, and I'm exctied to experiment with doing things a little differently.

CourtJester
04-10-2007, 05:50 PM
Making it cheaper will get you a job once or twice, but will lower marketprices in general with the same client expectations. So in the end you are just making the business harder for everybody, yourself included. Because one day the china man will be even cheaper and pushing you out of business. Can't you guys just think around the next corner about the consequences of your crusade?

So the solution to foreign competition is to keep our industry dominated by large, inefficient centralized organizations with huge budgets -- because small one-man operations wreck everything with their economic efficiency?

Somebody better tell this guy that he's all wet,then. ("www.studioartfx.com)

The 1930's called, they want their economic theory back... along with its results ;(

CourtJester
04-10-2007, 06:07 PM
Wes,

You should definitely go for original music... there must be a soundtrack composer out there who'd want to collaborate on this.

I'm no expert on this, but if you have a Mac, GarageBand is well-regarded by Terrence Walker (my officemate here). There is an add-on pack for it with orchestral instruments for $99.

http://www.apple.com/ilife/garageband/jampacks/orchestra.html Be sure to check out the samples.

wesball
04-10-2007, 06:52 PM
I'm no expert on this, but if you have a Mac, GarageBand is well-regarded by Terrence Walker (my officemate here). There is an add-on pack for it with orchestral instruments for $99.

http://www.apple.com/ilife/garageband/jampacks/orchestra.html Be sure to check out the samples.

GarageBand is very cool. I play with it occasionally, but my lack of skillz in music composition becomes quickly apparent.

I checked out those ochestra samples, and they're very good, but have I have to say, I still still hear that "synthesized" sound. Particularly in the strings.

As for cubase, does anyone have any experience with their virtual instruments?

LW_jackn
04-10-2007, 08:02 PM
If the earth in the first shot is rendered, I'd be very interested to get a breakdown of how you did it, especially the clouds. :)

Hey Weepul!

;)

I think our question got aced out by the ruckus over "cheaper -faster -better". :D

God, let's not get started in a "No Spec work" thread again...

The shot and angle of the Earth looks awfully familiar to me, I don't think it is an Apollo shot when I think about the quality, early shuttle missions maybe.

If you look at the edge of the Earth it looks like a possible post work...

:)

Now I could be wrong... (wouldn't be the first time... :D )

Definately makes the shot very nice! ;)

TRCC
04-10-2007, 09:59 PM
Your earth texture is the best I have seen yet, the depth of the clouds is absolutly photorealistic, I especially love the jittery camera as the craft enters the atmosphere. Was the shot of trees a composite or CG? Amazing work.

Luke

wesball
04-10-2007, 10:15 PM
@LW_JackN and Weepul...

Here ya go! Made another one just for you guys. :thumbsup:

http://www.insearchofhumans.com/blog/2007/04/10/making-of-2-photo-based-earth/

@TRCC

Check my reply #4.

Or just go here. http://www.insearchofhumans.com/blog/category/making-ofs/

wesball
04-11-2007, 12:24 AM
One sounded like Close Encounters, but I'm not sure about the other one. E.T. maybe? :)

GORGEOUS, otherwise. Nice angles on the entry shots, beautiful smoke effects.

The space pan was a little long, if only because the starfield seems so, well, flat. I'm not looking for Star Trek stars that pass between the ship and the camera; it could just be the low resolution of the movie render, but the stars seem kind of grey and uninteresting until the UFO comes into view.

You got the Close Encounters right. The second one used was from a very recent... award winning... movie. ;)

I know the pan does seem a little long, but because of what it leads to... I decided it was okay for now. I was thinking about putting some narration over that portion for the "actual" episode. But we'll see.

As for the stars looking grey... it's probably just a compression/size thing.

Here's a still from the full HD render.... they don't look too bad on my monitor.

Weepul
04-11-2007, 12:42 AM
Hey Weepul!

;)
Hi Jack! :D

@LW_JackN and Weepul...

Thanks for the vid. Nice to know how you did it - looks like a good technique for your project. :thumbsup:

serge
04-11-2007, 06:05 AM
I checked out those ochestra samples, and they're very good, but have I have to say, I still still hear that "synthesized" sound. Particularly in the strings.
Technically it's not synthesized, they're real-life recorded samples. But if the recording quality and variety in instrument articulation isn't great, it will sound computer generated.

Now, if you take a look at sample libraries produced by EastWest (http://www.eastwestsamples.com), their orchestral editions have three levels of quality: Silver. Gold, and Platinum (I myself own the Silver edition until it's time to upgrade). You pay a lot for the Platinum edition, which is because of recording quality, and the variety of instrument articulations. Now, these samples are so good that a good musician/producer can create music which is impossible for the average listener to distinguish from the 'real thing'.

Garritan (http://www.garritan.com) also has a great orchestra library for only $199. Here's a nice comparison, a demontration of a real orchestra and their own sampled composition:

http://www.garritan.com/mp3/Dvorakcomparison-narration.mp3

As for cubase, does anyone have any experience with their virtual instruments?
For orchestral music you don't use Cubase's VST's. You load a good sampler (like Kontakt) into Cubase (or another sequencer), and load the samples into the sampler.

wesball
04-11-2007, 06:25 AM
Garritan (http://www.garritan.com) also has a great orchestra library for only $199. Here's a nice comparison, a demontration of a real orchestra and their own sampled composition:

http://www.garritan.com/mp3/Dvorakcomparison-narration.mp3

Serge. You have made my day man.

This stuff sounds amazing! I had no idea you could get that good with samples. I really couldn't tell the difference between the two.

So how would one use garritan's samples... something like Garageband?

I can't believe I haven't heard about this sort of stuff before. It seems like an extremely powerful thing to have music like this without the need for a real orchestra. You sound like you know what you're talking about... do you know any other projects out there using sampled orchestral music?

Thanks again.

serge
04-11-2007, 08:52 AM
.....So how would one use garritan's samples... something like Garageband?
When you buy Garritan's samples (or any) you usually get CD's with a big amount of small data files, which are the instrument samples. A sampler is required to read, modify and play these files. Actually, when you buy Garritan or EastWest samples they also include a 'lite' version of a sampler, but they only play the samples that came with it, so you need to upgrade if you want to load other sample libraries. Then a sequencer (like Cubase) is needed to arrange the samples into a composition and record the music.

If you'd plan on composing and producing music yourself, like I am, be ready to make some investments. Besides the time to learn the programs and to produce music, you need a powerfull and silent computer, good soundcard, midi keyboard, speakers, amplifier, and the software: sequencer, sampler and sample libraries. And of course, you need to be a good musician/producer.
If this a problem, a safer bet would be to join some music forums, post your movie and ask if people would like to collaborate. I wouldn't do that though until you have more of your work to show, and it's clear that your project is serious and worth it. I must say, it itches to produce something for you myself, but I'm still learning and I'm too busy now, but I'm sure there are people who would like to join you, as a personal challenge/exercise, or some advertisement.

.....do you know any other projects out there using sampled orchestral music?
I don't know any examples, but if someone wants unique orchestral music and doesn't have the budget to hire a composer and orchestra, there's just no other way. I'm positive it's being used in many TV programs and independent movie projects.

LW_jackn
04-11-2007, 06:01 PM
@LW_JackN and Weepul...

http://www.insearchofhumans.com/blog/2007/04/10/making-of-2-photo-based-earth/

Wow, thanks! :thumbsup: :lwicon:

LW_jackn
04-11-2007, 06:25 PM
Kinda sad that I'm old enough to remember that image... :p

adrian
04-12-2007, 01:53 AM
Have you thought about using SonicFirePro for the music? I use this for a base (although it's good enough as-is) and then add extra implentation using my synthesiser on top to give the music more "depth".

Awesome work BTW :agree:

wesball
04-12-2007, 02:05 AM
Hey thanks Adrian.

I'll have to check it out.

~wb

adrian
04-12-2007, 02:30 AM
Hey, no worries. I actually forgot to mention that the latest version has mood mapping.... enabling you to change the mood of the music to fit the scene. This program really is very, very, VERY good - even if you can't play a note!

jat
04-12-2007, 04:49 PM
really nice work........

safetyman
04-12-2007, 05:57 PM
That is a great project. You have done a really awesome job. Can't wait to see more.

wesball
04-12-2007, 10:32 PM
Hey thanks.

Glad you're looking forward to more stuff.

I'll be making another small announcement in a few days.

Be sure to subscribe to the RSS feed. :D

~wb

ShawnStovall
04-13-2007, 10:14 AM
That is really cool. I really like how you made a Making Of, it was really helpful. Thanks.

Marvin Miller
04-16-2007, 01:53 PM
It's looking good, Wes! I really liked the "Making of..." videos.

Iaian7
04-16-2007, 09:22 PM
Most excellent, great VFX work. Thanks so much for posting the making ofs... really nice to see your workflow. Cheers!

inquisitive
04-17-2007, 01:28 AM
Very nice intro, thanks for taking the time.

Quick question re: your script experience..
What stalled the whole process? Do you think it would have helped if you had insisted in directing (perhaps) in case that was not the case?

KSTAR
04-17-2007, 01:48 AM
Nice work Wesball, Im glad Adrian mentioned Sonic FirePro. Just to add my two cents, they are constantly release new volumes, and besides mood mapping your also have variations. So you really can create a lot of different types of music and themes. Its ability to retime the music on the fly is incredible, so if you have a scene thats 35 seconds and your music is scored perfectly, and then you decide to edit down to 30, just grab the music track and drag the end to 30 seconds and voila its done, with everything mixed and timed perfectly!

Also for supplementary sound efx, ambient noise, and music check out Digital Juices SoundFx libraries volumes 1 and the recently released volume2. between the two of them is around 30,000 sounds, and of course both Sonic FirePro and Digital Juice sounds are royalty free.

rcady
04-19-2007, 03:45 PM
Wes,

Enjoyed the Making Of... thanks for sharing your compositing techniques in Lightwave. The fog works a treat in this shot. You should definitely go for original music... there must be a soundtrack composer out there who'd want to collaborate on this.

Really nice work, Wesball. as far as a composer goes, i have a friend who is a part time composer that might be interested. he posted on your blog site. As far as i know, he notates by hand then records it in Garage Band.

here's a link:
http://www.kevharrismusic.com

Good luck, and i look forward to seeing more work by you.

shrox
04-19-2007, 05:18 PM

Hey! I know Terrence when we worked at Rainbow, say "hi" from Shrox.

wesball
04-20-2007, 04:13 AM
So NAB kept me riveted this year. I've been glued to every blog, podcast, trademag I could find. There is some awesome new stuff on the horizon. Is anyone else insanely excited about RED? Holy crap.

But I've come back to reality now. And I see I've missed some great replies. Thanks all.
(off topic, but I find it strange, or sad, that I refer to the web as my "reality")

Very nice intro, thanks for taking the time.

Quick question re: your script experience..
What stalled the whole process? Do you think it would have helped if you had insisted in directing (perhaps) in case that was not the case?

So my script experience.

It's actually a long story. And one probably not very different from a lot of hopeful filmmakers out there. I actually was the director (still am legally), it was never discussed otherwise when we started. Of course, that only happened because I owned the idea. I came up with the concept.

Before we took it out to studios, we brought veteran animation writers into the "package". So after the deal with WB went through, the writers, me, and the various producers all started our weekly meetings and phone calls where we'd develop the idea into a feature. Cut to: a good while later, we started actually developing the script.

Now, how the project stalled?

I hope I didn't sound bitter on the post before. Don't get me wrong, it was a sweet opportunity, and a great experience. I learned a ton. It was a lot of fun batting around ideas, arguing over characters' motives, and talking about all the amazing visuals I had planned...

but...

It got a little carried away. I like to think we "developed" it to hell. Partly because the movie we were trying to make was pretty unique, definitely not the kind of thing being made these days. And I'm sure you know, most of Hollywood doesn't like to stray into unfamiliar turf when it comes their movies. (not knowingly, anyway)

But, mostly, the project stalled because I was so green. I was younger than everyone else, sort of waiting for the floor to drop out beneath me, and basically, just felt completely intimidated and self-conscious. Never showed that of course. I just couldn't hold onto the reins. And that is what the Director is supposed to do... keep the project ON TRACK and moving FORWARD!

Anyway, I strayed too far from what I initially came up with... and was too willing to do so. You might say I went along with everyone's ideas (bad or good) and forgot to come up with my own.

Eventually, the script just sort of lost its life. We tried several times to pump life back into it, but by the end, it no longer resembled what originally got everyone excited. My enthusiasm for it dimmed ... not burnt out, just dimmed. And that was that.

Now the project is just floating in the depths of WB studios. Probably aimlessly wandering the dark basements, looking for me to take it's hand again. :cry:

But, I have to be ruthless. I can't go back there. Time to move on.

So I'm chalking it up to experience -- one notch in the belt -- and I'm moving on to the next thing, one of them being ISOH!

Anyway, thats the long story of my short career. And who knows, maybe one day a new, extremely savvy executive will dig up the project from a dusty storage closet and say, "THIS SHOULD BE A MOVIE!"

Let's hope, it would have rocked. :D

Samus
04-20-2007, 06:15 AM
Hi All!!!

Really great work Wes , the shots are awesome and dynamic not to
mention the render is just Film quality, thanks for " the Making of " i suppose the second shot : the entry scene is quite the same technic as for the first shot ( earth shot) ... Was the wind friction flames done with HV or was it something else?? Will you do a making of the Entry shot .

Sam :D

wesball
04-20-2007, 07:56 PM
Hi All!!!

Really great work Wes , the shots are awesome and dynamic not to
mention the render is just Film quality, thanks for " the Making of " i suppose the second shot : the entry scene is quite the same technic as for the first shot ( earth shot) ... Was the wind friction flames done with HV or was it something else?? Will you do a making of the Entry shot .

Sam :D

You're right Samus. The second shot was done similar to the first. But most of the look was created through compositing in After Effects... such as the atmosphere, the flare, the smoke, the flames. I'm thinking about doing some kind of making of on that shot, but only if I can up with a way to highlight a method I hadn't already discussed. We'll see.

Samus
04-21-2007, 04:45 AM
cool,Can't wait!!

sam :)

LW_Will
04-21-2007, 05:06 PM
The amazing thing about WB and WBFA is that, well... they don't want to make animation.
wes
I know, I know... but look at what they've produced and what (as with wes' production) goes to die there.

Now, WB TV Animation, that is a different idea. Still sad, but a different idea. They are doing some very good stuff... but they aren't doing Justice League... go figure.

So, LOVED the site. LOVED it... it looks strong. The key thing is going to be your character designs. I'd put alot of work into them. Also, get alot of feed back out of them as well.

Music... I asume in your travels you listen to Digital Production Buzz with Philip Hodgetts? There is the Smart Sound Product that the advertize and use on the program...

smartsound.com

Good Luck to you, Wes, as we all need it....

LW_Will

cresshead
04-30-2007, 03:38 PM
re musical score for your film have you taken a look at logic pro?
http://www.apple.com/logicpro/
http://images.apple.com/logicpro/images/indexcallouts20060823.jpg
http://www.apple.com/logicpro/sampler.html
http://images.apple.com/logicpro/images/exs24callouts20040930.jpg
http://images.apple.com/logicpro/images/sculpturecallout20040930.jpg

highlander_72
05-01-2007, 08:41 AM
Just watched the trailer and flipped a bit through your website pages. I have to say I absolutely love the ideas, concepts behind your show and the motivations that drive you. Having written, produced and directed a low budget live action indie film myself, which btw is in post now and for which I am currently doing the VFX in LW and XSI, I know exactely what you mean when you talk about the whole biz issue. Unlike you, I am however trying to break into the biz and boy, is it hard. Nobody wants to take even the slightest financial chance anymore and let some real storytellers let some real stories, especially if they are newcomers. Unbelievable as it is, but even a young Miyazaki wouldnt really get a chance to do his stuff these days in Lala-Land. So its up to us to make it happen and really do put what was once a real dream machine and has turned into a cheap, superficial moneymaking machine, as you put it correctly "to shame"! Todays hardware and software does make it possible, Timothy Labee led the way with "Kaze" and its up to us artists to follow suit and up the ante. Once my current project is done, I am looking to do exactely what you proposed earlier. Take one of my many scripts, get CG talent from the whole planet to sign up on a huge indie project and make it happen: Tell stories without limit and the way they are supposed to be told.

I can't wait to see more of your projects. Keep it up and keep the updates coming. I am always looking to enjoy a great story!

highlander_72
05-01-2007, 08:49 AM
PS: Sorry for the typos. Caught them too late and the system wont let me edit them anymore. It supposed to be "..real storytellers tell some .." and of course Albee, instead of "Labee". :)

musick
05-15-2007, 04:23 AM
WOW, that entry scene was really impressive, great inspiration for a noob like me.

Stooch
05-20-2007, 07:33 PM
My goal with this thing? To put Hollywood to shame. I want to do it cheaper, more efficient, and up to at least the same quality. And I think this is possible with today's software and hardware, along with the ability to leverage the talents of other independant artists out there. Thank god for the internet! Lets hope those tubes aren't clogged anytime soon.

Nice goal. I prepared my smirk as i read that line but when i saw the teaser, i think you might have something there. As long as you go easy on the lens flares and have a solid story :thumbsup: As far as composing, having dabbled in various sequencers, etc. I think finding a good sound designer who wants to collaborate is the way to go. You will need a sound designer anyway, unless you intend to handle that yourself as well.

Having said all of that, seeing your teaser doesn't really say much right now, since the shots didn't require any hardcore CG. So I am curious to see how your screenplay uses your resources to hold up the quality and keep the viewer engaged.

-d

wesball
05-20-2007, 08:07 PM
Having said all of that, seeing your teaser doesn't really say much right now, since the shots didn't require any hardcore CG. So I am curious to see how your screenplay uses your resources to hold up the quality and keep the viewer engaged.

-d

Thanks stooch. Nothing wrong with a little skepticism. ;)

As to your comments about story... fear not. I'm a storyteller first, and a CG artist second. Story is what I'm good at.

Things have been quiet lately, but they'll be picking up soon.

Until then.

cresshead
05-20-2007, 08:44 PM
really looking forward to seeing some of the character designs as this will set the mood for the story i reckon.

v1u1ant
05-21-2007, 07:49 AM
thanks very much for the tutorial you posted about this, very helpful and a nice insight:) best o luck with your project. by the by a guy i work with here was very impressed, hes been involved in sci-fi (writing) (he knows all the star trek people, hes worked on marvel comics plus lots of other stuff)

surfingmarmot
05-22-2007, 09:50 AM
I really appreciate your taking the time to document your insights and techniques for us. Thank you.