PDA

View Full Version : make spline patch

titane357
04-10-2007, 12:47 AM
I find very boring/tedius to patch because each time you change spline you must re-patch and then remember or count patch division...
I think that it is an old tool and NT could make a gift to me :
It would be great to store in each spline ( for eg in part name ) its division number. So when running tool, spline patch could read for each spline its parameter ( as an option of course )

Anybody have a bevel tool for spline ? I have boats to do....:D

titane357
04-10-2007, 12:51 AM
oooops, I mean a fillet tool....

Ztreem
04-10-2007, 02:38 AM
Yeah, Spline pathes could be upgraded a notch or maybe just implement some NURBS surfaces instead because it's more powerful.

You can just patch your surface and then extend the edges and the use rounder on it to do fillets.

Dodgy
04-10-2007, 03:02 AM
Sounds like you need EasySpline from Trueart.

http://www.trueart.eu/?URI=Products/Plug-Ins/EasySpline

It's an autopatcher which patches as you add splines. Very nice..

Lewis
04-10-2007, 02:46 PM
Dodgy is pointing to right tool for you, or you patch after you decide that SPLINES are properly designed and don't need tweaks :). I've done it that way for years and no problem ;).

titane357
04-10-2007, 04:22 PM
Thanks for answers :D .
Easy spline looks great but I'd prefer a NT enhancement. :boogiedow

Sensei
04-11-2007, 06:15 AM
Looks like you dont really need it if you can live without it a couple years more.. ;)

Ztreem
04-11-2007, 06:25 AM
I really need NURBS, but I'll buy Rhino instead... It seems like LW will never support NURBS surfaces and I can't wait anymore.

titane357
04-11-2007, 09:16 AM
I like rhino and its nurbs, but when exporting to .lwo resulting mesh especially between two surfaces is not satisfying.

Ztreem
04-11-2007, 09:36 AM
I know, that's why I want NURBS support in LW so you can model in a NURBS app like Rhino and Animate and render in LW. Now you have to freeze it to a dense mesh with millions of polys and still can some edges show up bad. Cinema4D, 3D Studio Max and Maya loads NURBS without a prolem, feels bad that I have to switch from my favorite 3D app just because it doesn't do what the others do. :(

UnCommonGrafx
04-11-2007, 03:02 PM
EasySpline IS Nurbs. Just LW-like.

If you have yet to try it, give it a go as the money you save might be your own. ;)

Now, if those other apps do what you REALLY need, you've been wasting a lot of time. :( EasySpline helped to alleviate a bit of "feature-lust" in this regard.

Ztreem
04-11-2007, 03:57 PM
LOL! NO, Easy spline is not NURBS... OK it's a kind of very limited NURBS. If it was possible to project curves on surfaces and trim it and fillet it then I would consider to buy it, but for now it's not good enough.
For hardsurface modeling NURBS is great, for organic character work SubD's is great. Heaven would be to have a kind of hybrid.

UnCommonGrafx
04-11-2007, 04:01 PM
Hope Sensei pops in to clarify.

However, you are correct in that the final output is Same ole LW SDS. And a hybrid is exactly what we have.

The new version of Rhino ought to have already been purchased by you, then, huh? Tell us how it is.

Ztreem
04-11-2007, 04:25 PM
It's maybe NURBS curves in easysplines and then yes it's NURBS, but the whole point with NURBS modeling is that you can project curves on surfaces and the trim some parts away. SubD's is super good and fast but as fast as you want to make a hole in a surface without breaking it you get in trouble. If you freeze it it will be hard to do nice fillets on the edges, and if you want to keep it as SDS you have to do some tedious work to get the there. This is where NURBS shine. Try to make this surface with SDS or Easyspline under a minute in LW, goodluck! :D

I love LW and I wish I could do every thing in it, but it's not possible at the moment.

UnCommonGrafx
04-11-2007, 04:44 PM
Yah, that can't be done with the easyspline system as I have tried.

I used Rhino when it was "free" long time ago. Yeah, NURBS are sexy.

Lewis
04-11-2007, 05:25 PM
Real Nurbs would be great to have in LW but i doubt that will happen any time soon (if ever) :(.

As far as your shape here is my little play with it in LW subDs :) :) ? I know it's not same shape (close) and it's not under minute (I was in "tutorial mode but i could do it in 2 minutes now :)) but maybe you didn't use stop watch when you modeled it so it might be little longer in Rhino too ;). IF i used CC then it would be even faster since i wouldn't need to FIX so many polygons to have 3/4 point polys only ;).

www.lewis.tomsoft.hr/temp/Lewis_test_mod.rar (20 Mb Camtasia capture)

free codec is available here : http://download.techsmith.com/tscc/tscc.exe

cheers

Ztreem
04-12-2007, 02:44 AM
Nice video Lewis. That's the same way I would do in LW, but this example is just one simple one and I can change it in some minutes and then it will take you way longer to do it with SubD's. Of course it's possible, but sometimes it's limits you in the design faze and that's not good. One thing you forgot in your model and that's what makes it hard, is that the surface is curved in both directions. :)

Maybe we should do a feature request for some NURBS and see what happens. It's an old method and LW is old so they should match perfect. :D

PS. If someone is a student and need NURBS you can buy Rhino for €195 and you can do comercial work with it. That's a nice license agreement. :)

titane357
04-12-2007, 04:14 AM
"Maybe we should do a feature request for some NURBS and see what happens" :D Yes I would like to see what happens too. :lol: (sorry)

Lewis
04-12-2007, 04:28 AM
Yeah Ztreem I know it's not same shape ;). Make and Feture Request and i'll back up it too (and many others) since LW is now in redesign phase modeler could be just in right position for adding that :).

Ztreem
04-12-2007, 05:11 AM
I found this link on a modo forum. This is really interesting, they have written a paper on how to trim SDS, if LW get this maybe we don't need NURBS at all. Both would be preferd. :)
http://multires.caltech.edu/pubs/trimming.pdf

titane357
04-29-2007, 03:00 PM
I made a little script.
make a patch of 4 splines (or 3), apply surface name for number of desired poly for the patch for each spline (example : surface name :"10" ).
select parallel splines and then perpendicular splines (or inverse) and you can select polys with splines.
(script read surface name of 1st and 3rd selected spline)
run the script. Voilą. :D

Philbert
04-29-2007, 05:21 PM
LWCAD 2.0+ has NURBS splines. I don't know about patching them, but the splines work quite well.