PDA

View Full Version : Expanded Stabilizer Controls

imagic
04-09-2007, 09:38 AM
The Image Stabilizer in SpeedEdit reminds me of the VirtualDub Filter DeShaker, but is much more limited. I would like to see considerably more control, including the ability to exclude areas during the first pass... and perhaps an "intensive" mode for hard-to-stabilize clips.

Also it is not clear to me if the SpeedEdit stabilizer corrects for rotation as well as H/V shake.

Anyhow, please add as much of the power/flexibility of DeShaker as possible to the SpeedEdit stabilizer.

ScorpioProd
04-30-2007, 10:26 PM
It does not currently correct for rotation, only X/Y translation. We need it to correct for rotation as well.

For lack of a better example, take a look at the new feature for stabilization in FCP 6.

ted
05-01-2007, 11:07 AM
I had some people in here yesterday talking about the stabilization in FCP 6. I didn't get to see it at NAB but it sounded very sweet.

ScorpioProd
05-01-2007, 11:44 AM
It is very sweet.

It's a feature brought in from Shake.

Beyond the translation and rotation stabilization, it brings one more important feature to the table that SpeedEDIT's doesn't have, tweakability.

It does ONE analysis pass, and then it allows you to do infinite tweaking of the strength of the effect all you want until you get it right. It has real controls to adjust the parameters of it.

SpeedEDIT's is limited to one control knob that is frankly adjusting more things than one knob should be, such as a combination of the strength of the effect and how many frames it is spread over. Should this be one control?!? I think not.

KiloWatkins
05-01-2007, 12:52 PM
fwiw, my workflow, use a project size, same as the video you want to stabilize, if needed, make a file then run it again, may work to just run it twice. Then use that file with HD/HDV project.

GoodLuck

imagic
05-03-2007, 11:23 AM
I'm just exporting video to a SpeedHQ codec AVI, running it through DeShaker, and saving back to AVI. DeShaker produces the best stabilization I've seen, even with extremely challenging footage.

fwiw, my workflow, use a project size, same as the video you want to stabilize, if needed, make a file then run it again, may work to just run it twice. Then use that file with HD/HDV project.

GoodLuck

Danic101
05-05-2007, 09:26 PM
Native Pixel tracking would be an awesome addition to SpeedEDIT

cellomangler
07-14-2007, 10:16 PM
I've been using Combustion to stabilize footage, but it doesn't read HDV files, so that's a real problem. The stabilize functions in Combustion are very well implemented, however, and worth checking out as a guide for better implementation in SpeedEdit. Something you want to include is the ability to have a background image so you can use a frame of your video as the background so when your foreground video is slid around during the stabilization process, the background image fills in the otherwise black areas. This is assuming that you don't want to have to zoom and destroy your resolution a bit, which I don't like doing. With Combustion you can pick up to 2 tiny pixel areas to latch onto. It can handle some very difficult cases. The current stabilize tool in SpeedEdit doesn't do anything for me. It would be a big selling point for SpeedEdit to have this implemented well so that we could stabilize HDV footage without conversion.