PDA

View Full Version : Vista - 32 or 64 bit and other bits

carrot999
04-08-2007, 10:00 PM
Hi there,

I am running Lightwave9 (32bit) and modeller runs like a dog when subpatching is on.
Looks like I need to upgrade my PC

Current specs:
AMD Athlon 1800+
1Gb RAM
1x40Gb IDE HDD + 1x80Gb IDE HDD + 1x200Gb IDE HDD
GeForce 4 MX graphics with 64Mb RAM
XP Professional

I am looking to upgrade the box but would be interested in other lightwave users experience and comments.

* AMD or Intel?
* Windows Vista? - 32 or 64 bit?
- can i run Lightwave 32bit on Vista Ultimate 64?
* Was planning for 2Gb RAM
* recommended graphics card? NVidia 8800?

Cheers, Lisa

chikega
04-08-2007, 10:19 PM
Well if you're running Catmull-Clark SDS ... it runs like a dog even on high end PC's. It's still being optimised to my understanding. The regular Subpatching should be fine even on low end systems ... it's been around for a long time and is quite snappy. :)

carrot999
04-08-2007, 10:55 PM
Thanks for the prompt response.

Hmm...perhaps its my video card that needs updating then?

When moving points, with subpatching (SubD type) on and a very simple model (102 points only), subpatch divisions = 3, it honestly takes about 3s to respond and display the new point position.
It is instantaneous with subpatching off.

Do you think it's graphics or the PC at fault?
Or maybe I am just too demanding of the software??

Cheers, Lisa

Tiziano
04-09-2007, 01:06 AM
I've tried LW 32 on Vista 64 ultimate ,everythings work ok but the open gl was quite slow even on a nvidia 8800 gts ,the big problem was the response of my wacom ,very snappy and I model with the tablet.

I've reinstalled xp 32 waiting for better drivers in vista.

My advice is : install xp64.

bye

carrot999
04-09-2007, 01:54 AM
Wow, thanks for the advice Tiziano. Really appreciate it and very interested is others experiences, obviously if I am going to fork out a few thousand dollars on a new box i want to make sure it is going to do what i need!

Thanks.

eagleeyed
04-09-2007, 08:35 AM
At the moment I feel Intel are currently offering the better processors with their Core 2 Duo range, later in the year though I recall (don't hold me to this) AMD are going to release their new set of chips that are set to rival Intels range.

Operating System wise: Some people will recommend go to Vista, most will say stay at XP. I personally say stay at XP for another year while Microsoft remove all the major bugs from the OS and to allow all the device makers to get their drivers perfect for Vista. Graphic Card drivers are still getting updated very regularly.

The Graphics Card sounds good, I am running a 7600GS from Nvidia and have not had any performance issues with LW yet.

90% sure you can run 32bit LW on 64bit O/S.

2GB RAM should be enough, I am currently running 1GB and no problems. I am close to rendering huge scenes so could tell you a different story in a month.

To check performance charts for all the different CPU's, GPU's (Graphic Cards), HDD's and other things go to www.tomshardware.com, they have interactive graphs that show you how they compare to each other.

Anyway, hope I helped.

Just PM or Skype me if you have anymore questions.

carrot999
04-09-2007, 01:10 PM
Thank you, very helpful comments and TomsHardware is a great site. i have much to think about!

DonJMyers
04-09-2007, 03:07 PM
I bought the business version of vista and you can order the 64 bit version through the mail for the cost of shipping to have both on one machine. Works great and now when I have to go back to XP for something it's like echh!

iainbyoung
04-19-2007, 07:17 AM
I've tried LW 32 on Vista 64 ultimate ,everythings work ok but the open gl was quite slow even on a nvidia 8800 gts

I'm using vista 64 with an 8800gtx and the opengl in lightwave 9 64bit seems very quick. Which nvidia driver version were you using?

ShawnStovall
04-21-2007, 02:40 PM
Yeah, the newer drivers are much better.

carrot999
04-21-2007, 07:40 PM
Thanks all for the comments and advice.
I finally chose:

Intel Pentium D 945 3.4GHz Dual Core 2x2MB L2 Cache
2Gb DDR2 RAM
Powercolour ATi Radeon X1600 Pro 256Mb Video
2x SATAII Hard drives (1x80Gb for OS, 1x320 for lightwave projects)
Windows XP Professional

The system flies, and there are no more delays in modeller, even with subpatching on!
I am very happy.
I would have liked to give Vista a go, but too few positive comments about it and LW and i need my system to work rather than be a guinea pig.

I am going to need to get a laptop also in the near future. Will give Vista a go on that.

Thanks again.

Cheers, Lisa

mouse_art
04-22-2007, 10:40 PM
Have you tried to disable the AERO interface?(at least as long as a Windowed OGL Apps runs(you can change that in the compatibility options to temporary disable AERO)

Just a guess...i mean D3D and another layer OGL...

And guys don't forget the Drivers not even yet really good...that needs more time and work from ATI/NVIDA.(Sure NT has enough work too. ;) )