PDA

View Full Version : Camera Acting Weird

jtoney7852
04-08-2007, 09:47 PM
I am creating a scene where I have extensive camera movements. I set a start and end keyframe to do a shot where the camera is focused on the object the entire time it is in motion.

At the midpoint between the two keyframes, the camera does a loop (or some other odd movements). It does not just follow the path, but does what it wants in the middle.

Another way to look at it is this way. This only happens if I adjust the rotation and the movement.

Oh and the graph editor is no help.

lesterfoster
04-09-2007, 05:27 AM
Have you tried setting up a Null object and targeting the camera to that null object. This way the camera will always be aimed at the target null no matter where you move the camera.

Step 1. Make a null object and rename it to CameraNULL

Step 2. Press small letter “m” on your keyboard. Under the target menu. Select the CameraNULL.

If you want the camera to point at something different. Select the CameraNULL object and move that around and key frame that to make the camera look at different things.

Hope this helps

jtoney7852
04-09-2007, 07:53 AM
that didnt help...

moc
04-09-2007, 12:45 PM
open the graph editor to check...the camera motion...
Is it double keys?.......or are they jam together?.....
Checking first...

toby
04-09-2007, 12:52 PM
If you're using targetting, and the animation goes past 180 on the pitch, the camera will flip on the heading.

If the animation curves are TCB splines, and there are any keyframes outside of the two that you mention, they will affect animation inside the two keyframes.

It's really hard for us to judge any more than that without seeing the animation, the curves and what's going wrong - you should post a scene or at least a screen grab

jtoney7852
04-09-2007, 09:37 PM
As requested

toby
04-09-2007, 10:18 PM
Ok, that's definitely more than 2 keyframes, delete the ones you don't need and see if that helps.

jtoney7852
04-10-2007, 08:23 AM
this scene there is more, but this is just to show you what is going on. if you notice there is 1 keyframe at the beginning and 1 at the end and nothing in between. Why would it do that curve?

JamesCurtis
04-10-2007, 09:24 AM
We don't see the whole range of frames in the scene. Your pic shows on;ly time slider range from 500+ to 600+. There must be keys below the 500+ one causing this.

You may also have a key that is the same position as another one.

Maxx
04-10-2007, 09:26 PM
Is it possible that it's a floating point error due to the 1KM grid size? Does the error persist (and this really might be a dumb question) if you lower the grid size setting, thereby shrinking the camera? I know sometimes when you put objects many many kilometers out from the origin LW will occasionally do odd things.

Other than that, do you have fractional keyframes enabled? Maybe one or two very close at the beginning/end frames of this particular range?

Just spoutin' ideas at way too late in the evening... :D

jtoney7852
04-10-2007, 09:35 PM
im going to reload it in the morning and take some more snaps

toby
04-10-2007, 10:02 PM
I wasn't referring to the keys in the slider; every cross on the motion path represents a keyframe, plus the fact that the camera's not going in a straight line - the only other thing that could do that is if the camera is parented to something that's moving - is it?

Posting a scene for us would be the fastest way for us to find your answer, and no objects would be neccessary.

jtoney7852
04-11-2007, 08:09 AM
Scene file with no objects

toby
04-11-2007, 09:55 PM
I get an error with that, says there's no files to extract -

RudySchneider
04-11-2007, 10:20 PM
I get an error with that, says there's no files to extract -

It opened fine for me (used 7Zip). jtoney7852, I'm not quite certain why you say the Graph Editor is of no help. Your scene has two cameras, each with a great many keys, several with very abrupt movements, both in XYZ coordinates and HPB rotations. Neither camera is targeted at any object or null. It seems to me if you want to have your camera follow something, your best bet is to specify what it is you want to follow in the camera's motion options.

lesterfoster
04-16-2007, 05:37 AM
I took a look at the file that you uploaded. It looks like you have no empty keyframes on some spots on the time line. That is why the camera seems to jump sometimes.

I have uploaded a sample of how to rotate the camera with a null object. I tried to follow your first camera as close as I could.

There is also a object file named “CameraFix1.lwo” in the scene. This should help you tell the difference between your camera and mine. Select the CameraFix1 “camera” and hit play on the time line.

Hope this helps.