PDA

View Full Version : Catmull-Clark in 9.2

G3D
04-07-2007, 08:58 PM
Just downloaded 9.2
I like the look of CCs in 9.0, but man are they slow. Haven't had the weight map problems that other users here have mentioned, but the slowness is ... well ... pretty slow. Any better in 9.2?

connerh
04-07-2007, 10:16 PM
I just did a speed comparison in a few different fields. I did a tumbling test where 9.2 was refreshing at probably close to 3-4x as fast as 9.0. A 5 second mouse scroll over the surface produced 36 poly selections compared to a nearly identical 5 second pass in 9.2 that produced 273 selections. Movement of 220 verticies resulted in about 2-3 FPS in 9.0 while the same motion with 220 verts resulted in about 10 fps in 9.2. The object has 157,466 verts.

Krom
04-07-2007, 11:18 PM
Did Newtek fixed weight map problems of CCs in 9.2?
Cos in 9.0 weight maps went discontinous and all wrong even with few changes.

SplineGod
04-08-2007, 01:24 AM
Just downloaded 9.2
I like the look of CCs in 9.0, but man are they slow. Haven't had the weight map problems that other users here have mentioned, but the slowness is ... well ... pretty slow. Any better in 9.2?

Part of that is because the subpatch levels between SubDs and CCs do not translate. A subpatch level of 3 on CCs will create way more polys. Try turning the subpatch level down pretty low when working with them.

mattclary
04-08-2007, 08:47 PM
I'd comment here, but this is really for the open beta forum. Ask your questions on CCs in the beta forum and I'll give you my 9.0 vs. 9.2 comparison and impressions in there.

NewTek has lifted the NDA, speak your mind man! Not everyone here is in the beta.

Exception
04-08-2007, 08:48 PM
NewTek has lifted the NDA, speak your mind man! Not everyone here is in the beta.

Not on bugs :) (hint)

mattclary
04-08-2007, 09:20 PM
Jay said REPORT them in the beta forum, not "don't discuss them".

Non-Disclosure Release for 9.2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everybody!

As you know, we have been in open beta for quite some time now, and many things have happened in the interim. You have all been a tremendous help in making LightWave v9.2 a great product, and while we aren’t quite ready to ship yet, we can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel (in fact, we can see it photo-realistically rendered with radiosity, real motion blur, and depth of field!)

We hope that you have enjoyed this journey, and as we come into the home stretch, we here at NewTek think that now is a good time to allow you folks to share your thoughts (and images and animations) on LightWave v9.2 with the world.

You can talk about LightWave v9.2 and your experiences with it in public, as of now.
You can post images anywhere, AND talk about how you made them.

We know we still have some bugs to kill, and we will. The open beta forums will remain active, and will still require permission to access as before. We will still run the OB program through the OB forum, so all bug reports, etc., should be routed through that forum. Please do not make these reports in the public forums.

Please keep that in mind when you make any public comments, as well as the fact that the livelihood of all the code warriors and rebels here at NewTek who are working very hard to give you what you want (and need!) depends on the news of the great progress that's been made getting out to the world.

We still have a few more releases to go through before we hit final candidate and gold master releases, and you will notice bug fixes and some performance tunes, instead of features, from this point forward. Those of you who have participated in the previous open beta will be familiar with this.

So, there you have it. Go out there, and help us spread the (GOOD) word about LightWave v9.2, and find those good folks who have yet to upgrade, and let them know we are running a new, limited time promotion that includes some great training materials. Heck, you may even want to grab another copy for yourself! (Hey, can’t blame a guy for trying, right? )

Last but not least, keep an eye out for OB 14, to be released later today....

eagleeyed
04-09-2007, 03:01 AM
said something thats already on here so I erased the message. Sorry.

Sensei
04-09-2007, 03:39 AM
Part of that is because the subpatch levels between SubDs and CCs do not translate. A subpatch level of 3 on CCs will create way more polys. Try turning the subpatch level down pretty low when working with them.

Exactly! Sub-Patch level 3 has 3*3=9 polygons, but CC level 3 has 2^3=8*8=64 polygons..

Comparision of how many polygons are generated by Sub-Patch and CC:
Level 1 1 4
Level 2 4 16
Level 3 9 64
Level 4 16 256
Level 5 25 1024
Level 6 36 4096

hrgiger
04-09-2007, 09:13 AM
Part of that is because the subpatch levels between SubDs and CCs do not translate.

Yeah, part of it... I'd comment more but this isn't the open Beta forum.

Maxx
04-09-2007, 11:08 AM
We know we still have some bugs to kill, and we will. The open beta forums will remain active, and will still require permission to access as before. We will still run the OB program through the OB forum, so all bug reports, etc., should be routed through that forum. Please do not make these reports in the public forums.

Um, yes he did.

mattclary
04-09-2007, 02:03 PM
Um, yes he did.

example of a bug report:
When I subdivide a disc using Catmull-Clark, I get an exception in Modelere.exe

examples of opinion and statements of fact:
I have seen crashes under certain conditions when using CC sub Ds

CC sub Ds are slow in 9.2

[Note: the above are illustrations, not actual facts or bugs to my knowledge]

Exception
04-09-2007, 03:07 PM

Ah, you read better than I do. Thanks for pointing that out :)

When I subdivide a disc using Catmull-Clark, I get an exception in Modelere.exe

You never get an exception just like that...
You want to stuff me into modeler? Ok, but live with the dire consequences of kittens scratching up yer harddisks...

mattclary
04-09-2007, 05:52 PM
It has fangs!

bobakabob
04-13-2007, 08:10 PM
One problem I have with CC in LW 9: dragging points is much less immediate and intuitive than in conventional LW subdivision mode. Points have to be selected first if you're working with a dense CC subdivision mesh which slows down workflow. Hope this has been fixed in LW 9.2.

ThriJ
04-22-2007, 01:02 PM
One problem I have with CC in LW 9: dragging points is much less immediate and intuitive than in conventional LW subdivision mode. Points have to be selected first if you're working with a dense CC subdivision mesh which slows down workflow. Hope this has been fixed in LW 9.2.

Are you are referring to the fact that in 9.0 you could not drag points by clicking on the mesh directly, but instead you had to select the points that still followed the base cadge around the mesh? That can drive you nuts!

If that is what you are talking about then yes that problem is gone. Selecting and moving CC is just like SubDs!

It makes things a lot easier for me. It’s as useful as a new feature!:D

Of course I can’t talk about specific 9.2 bugs, but I have to say NewTek is doing a great job fixing issues. It’s a solid process of creating new features that then break existing features and then mending everything back together with the fixes.

:lightwave

bobakabob
04-22-2007, 07:17 PM
Are you are referring to the fact that in 9.0 you could not drag points by clicking on the mesh directly, but instead you had to select the points that still followed the base cadge around the mesh? That can drive you nuts!

If that is what you are talking about then yes that problem is gone. Selecting and moving CC is just like SubDs!

It makes things a lot easier for me. Itís as useful as a new feature!:D

Of course I canít talk about specific 9.2 bugs, but I have to say NewTek is doing a great job fixing issues. Itís a solid process of creating new features that then break existing features and then mending everything back together with the fixes.

:lightwave

Great, glad that's fixed. It made CC modelling in Sub d mode too frustrating.