PDA

View Full Version : VT User looking for Lightwave training...

bbeanan
04-07-2007, 08:38 PM
I have been working with my VT system for about 8 years now and I have never once launched Lightwave :bangwall: .... I know you are all reading this saying "oh my god!!!" But I have been working with AutoCAD since R10 and for the most part everything I always needed in 3D I could make up in AutoCAD to some degree...
But the time has come that I want better renders, maybe some movement, better control over surfaces. So I am looking for some training materials and want to know what all of you would recommend??:help:

Titus
04-07-2007, 08:59 PM
Dan Ablan's Inside LightWave book is a good place to start.

Silkrooster
04-07-2007, 09:20 PM
Start here:
Silk

Tom Wood
04-08-2007, 07:52 AM
I bought VT3 with LW7.5, since upgraded to VT4 and LW8. I was new to 3D and NLEs at the time, so my learning curve was steep. It is well worth the money to buy the paper version of the LW manual. It's not necessarily the best thing to read front to back though if you already have in mind specific tasks. For example, the chapter on modelling is Chapter 20 and you don't really need to read Chapter 17 on hypervoxels to get there. :D

In the end, the best tutorial is to open the program and just start doing a specific task. I've found that part of the challenge is to figure out how much of the program to set aside so I can concentrate on just the features that help me do what I want to do. I know this is a different approach to those who want to be adept at the entire program, but I have specific needs that don't involve the more esoteric features.