PDA

View Full Version : Pls Help Me

Night--Hawk
06-23-2003, 04:46 AM
Hello

if i want to learn this program, where shall i start. it is so much to learn, and everything is so comfusing! first of all is the modell program, i dont understand anything, pls help me...

Aegis
06-23-2003, 08:09 AM
Pick yourself up a copy of Dan Ablan's excellent "Inside LightWave 7" - everything you need to get you started is in there.

Good luck!

Night--Hawk
06-23-2003, 11:24 AM
isn't there another way then buy a copy of "inside lightway 7"???

SinnopS
06-23-2003, 11:30 AM
http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/Main_Menu.htm

this site is a great place with links to tons of tutorials, it should be quite helpful for you

mattclary
06-23-2003, 12:51 PM
You have to learn by doing. There is no better way to do for the uninitiated than with tutorials. Inside LightWave and LightWave Applied (in the various versions) are the best books around for that. The link above is the best resource for online tutorials. Make sure to look at the tutorials on Newtek's site also.

rabid pitbull
06-23-2003, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Night--Hawk
isn't there another way then buy a copy of "inside lightway 7"???

well you could start with the manual....:o

Night--Hawk
06-23-2003, 02:44 PM
wow, thank's everyone, this helped alot! do yah got some other advise, so please give them to me.

Night--Hawk
06-23-2003, 02:48 PM
well, i hate when they just capture what they are dooing, and make it to a avi file, and this is ment for me to understand...it is so hard to follow

marvin
06-23-2003, 03:58 PM
For me, the manual only helps if I run into a problem with a specific tool. When I was learning LW, I did read through and it gave me some cool tips and stuff I didn't know I could do, but the internet has a lot of great tutorials. Also, a lot of trial-and-error. I'm still learning with this method.

marvin

Night--Hawk
06-23-2003, 04:01 PM
but the manual is so looooooooooong.....

toby
06-23-2003, 10:44 PM
start with modeling something you really like. For me it was a Suzuki, then my antique espresso machine. Doing something that you love to look at helps you be patient and keeps you excited.

Night--Hawk
06-24-2003, 01:28 AM
ahhhhhh, i know. im gonna modell a COMPUTER!!!

Night--Hawk
06-24-2003, 02:08 AM
do i need a good 3d card in lightwave? or can i turn my resolution down somehow?

pospi
06-24-2003, 02:12 AM
you don't need a particularly good 3d card, i used to run LW on an old geforce2. Basically once you put in a lot of polygons any card will slow down sooner or later, and i find a good way around that problem is just to cut out whatever part you're working on and paste it into a new layer.

Night--Hawk
06-24-2003, 02:17 AM
well, i am using Elza erazor, or something like that (it isn't exacly my computer), and when i loaded a head from internett into my modeller program, it started lagging. i thought the computer was good enough to run this program without a good 3d card...

pospi
06-24-2003, 02:26 AM
hmm... i dont really know much about the technical side of it, but i think a good 3d card isnt really important for rendering or texturing or any of that kinda stuff, but you need at least a half decent one to work with high poly models without having to cut out small bits to work on.
At least, thats the way it seemed to run for me on my old computer..

Night--Hawk
06-24-2003, 02:32 AM
i am using a comp with 2,4ghz and 120gb, is this a good enough comp u think?

toby
06-24-2003, 02:35 AM
that's fine. I'm sure your video card is ok too, but if your disply is so slow it annoys you, you could get a better one

Night--Hawk
06-24-2003, 02:36 AM
well, my video card is VERY old... it's about 3-4 years old or less, perhaps more...

Night--Hawk
06-24-2003, 04:10 AM
what is the latest version to lightwave?

mattclary
06-24-2003, 06:11 AM
7.5 is the latest version. I'm afraid I'm going to have to contradict what Toby said. Don't start with something you like, start with something SIMPLE. If you jump right into a complex (especially an organic) model, you are going to get frustrated. Forget doing a head immediately. Also, AVI tutorials are not where I would recommend a newbie to begin. The books I mentioned have good step-by-step tutorials. If you can dig up an old copy of LightWave 5.6 Applied, it has a really excellent tutorial on making a castle that will teach you a LOT about modeling.

toby
06-24-2003, 06:34 AM
yes he's right it should be something simple, I thought the computer was a good idea, not very complex.

Night--Hawk
06-24-2003, 07:36 AM
ARGH! i have been sitting with this program for 3days, without stop and everything that i have made is a bench and a fingernail... every sorces for learning this program is the tutorials on internett, and they are not good. i doubt that i will ever buy those books, you menshen...

Night--Hawk
06-24-2003, 07:39 AM
i forgot that i also got the manual, but it is little explaination on how to build a modell...

Night--Hawk
06-24-2003, 08:07 AM
i guess you guys have started to go sick and tired of me, but i got one more question.

Are we abel to make a Bullet (you know, those things that comes out from a gun when fires) and translate (hoping i was using the right word) it over to a movie, a homemade movie.

well, i think i am getting this right, and please correct me if u think i am wrong.

first of all, you are make the background o fthe bullet blue or green, then makes the bullet to move (in those ways u want the bullet to move). after this u take this whole event over to a avi file, and opens it in a program called adobe premiere (that is the program i am using for video editing) and make the program take away all of the blue/green color and past the movie in the background insted of the blue/green color.

I hope that u did understand this...

marvin
06-24-2003, 01:46 PM
Night-Hawk,

Lightwave is used for stuff like this all the time. It's called compositing. You don't have to make the back blue or green because you can render the frames out of LW with an alpha channel. You only use a blue/green screen when you want to put 3D BEHIND live action footage. In your case, you want to put a CG bullet in front of live action. Just render out the LW frames as single images (32 bit) and in premiere load them in as a composition. It's been a while since I've used premiere, but I believe that's what you do about loading it in.

marvin

Night--Hawk
06-25-2003, 06:53 AM
What do u guys think of my duck. it is sertanly not something like u gys are making but i think it is the coolest thing i have ever made (and almost the only think i have mad)

Night--Hawk
06-25-2003, 02:48 PM
can anyone tell me what they mean by this:
Create a ball "Shift-o". Use the default settings "n" except orient it to the Z axis.

i am a little bit unsure what they mean by orient it to the z axis...

marvin
06-25-2003, 05:41 PM
When you hit "shift + o," that is the shortcut for the ball tool. Then when you hit "n" it opens up the numerical panel for whatever tool you are on, in this case the ball. You'll also see the ball in modeller. Any changes you make in the numerical panel, you can see on the ball in modeller. I think by default, it's created on the Y axis. Hit Z in the numeric panel and the ball will rotate so the triangular polys align with the Z axis.

marvin

SplineGod
06-26-2003, 02:18 AM
Night Hawk,
If you are having a tough time picking this stuff up I would suggest checking out my LIGHTWAVE COURSES (http://www.3dtrainingonline.com)
I have well over an hour of SAMPLES (http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/support/sampler.htm) you can look at too. :)

Night--Hawk
06-26-2003, 03:10 AM
oh, these tutorials looks good, but it is kinda hard for me to follow a video tutorial...

SplineGod
06-26-2003, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by Night--Hawk
oh, these tutorials looks good, but it is kinda hard for me to follow a video tutorial...
Its easy. :)
Watch them over more then once.
Pause them and go try it.
Rewind and watch again. :)

Night--Hawk
06-26-2003, 05:36 AM
what is wrong in this picture???

Night--Hawk
06-26-2003, 08:08 AM
It gotta be something wrong with ur dinosaur tutorial, because when i am trying to make those borders, the message in the picture above appers. i am dooing exacly what the guy in the avi is dooing...

hrgiger
06-26-2003, 09:09 AM
Well, you don't need a Great 3D card to run lightwave but you should at least have a decent one that supports openGL. The Nvidia cards usually offer the best bang for you buck.

hrgiger
06-26-2003, 09:10 AM
Oops, sorry, this ended up on the wrong thread. Moderator, please delete these two posts.

SplineGod
06-26-2003, 10:50 AM
Spline Rules:
1. A patch must be surrounded by 3 splines minimum, 4 splines max (you have 4 splines selected)
2. The splines must be welded where they intersect (The only way to tell this is to pick each point where your splines intersect and see if you have more then 1 selected, if so weld them)
3. If you select the splines clockwise and then patch, the polys face away from you, counterclockwise they face you.
4. Perpendicular and Parallel are determined by the LAST spline selected.

Night--Hawk
06-26-2003, 11:26 AM
okey, this is starting to get confusing....

SplineGod
06-26-2003, 11:44 AM
In my tutorial I only weld a couple of times. The rest of the time I pick off existing points because if I do that I eliminate the step of having to weld every point where splines intersect.
If you pick a what appears to be a single point but Layout indicates (at the bottom left of the interface where it says SEL )
you have more then one point selected then they arent welded.
The weld command is ctrl w.
The splines wont create a patch unless the vertices of the splines surrounding it are welded (the vertices are SHARED there).
Your cage worked fine except that the points where the side profile and jaw profile meet at the tip of the nose arent welded.
When you click there you should see that 1 point is selected not 2.

Night--Hawk
06-26-2003, 12:00 PM
okey, i see what you mean, and i think i have to start all over again on the head, because i've think i have done alot of mistakes...

SplineGod
06-26-2003, 12:04 PM
That was the only mistake I saw. The rest of it patched fine.

Night--Hawk
06-26-2003, 12:06 PM
when i uses the ctrl-w, thingy, ehm the nose disaper....

SplineGod
06-26-2003, 12:23 PM
It didnt do that for me.
I just picked what APPEARS to be the one point (but is actually two points) at the very very tip of the nose.

Night--Hawk
06-26-2003, 12:31 PM
okey, i missunderstood the last time. thx alot

Night--Hawk
06-26-2003, 12:35 PM
this is how it looks like now!

Night--Hawk
06-26-2003, 12:40 PM
okey, after beeing continueing in the tutorial, i got the spline patch on the wrong side. here is a picture:

Night--Hawk
06-26-2003, 12:41 PM
you might not see it, but this is the back of the nose...

SplineGod
06-26-2003, 01:17 PM
Not a big deal. You can flip the polys

Night--Hawk
06-26-2003, 02:22 PM
what is wrong here, i clicked on tab and looked all the holes in my modell...

SplineGod
06-26-2003, 02:36 PM
You might want to watch that video more then once. Im pretty sure I mentioned that you need to MERGE at some POINT. :)

Night--Hawk
06-26-2003, 02:45 PM
how is the best way to learn this.
watch it once and try to do what u did, OR
do exacly the same thing that u do, so that u do it the same time when u are saying it on the video (hope u understood that)

SplineGod
06-26-2003, 02:49 PM
Good question.
I recommend you just watch thru it a couple of times. Its not that long (for download reasons) but I go kind of quick. The advantage of the movie is that you can watch it more then once.
After watching it one or two times then follow it.
Youve mostly got it right at this point though.

Night--Hawk
06-26-2003, 02:56 PM
well, i think im gonna continue on this modell tomorrow, have almost been sitting all day.................

Night--Hawk
06-27-2003, 07:16 AM
when u say, "splitt this point here" what do u mean by that? how do i splitt a point?

Night--Hawk
06-27-2003, 07:23 AM
never mind

Night--Hawk
06-27-2003, 07:26 AM
when u add points, u click ctrl-x, why cant i do that?

marvin
06-27-2003, 10:52 AM
Okay, I don't mean to sound offensive here, but I think it's going to come out that way anyway.

A book helps a lot to learn these basics (merging points, welding, flipping polys, etc). I understand you are just learning, but you have to spend some time at least trying to figure it out. The reason I say this is because I've seen SplineGod's tutorials. They were extremely helpful. I know for sure he mentioned merging the points before hitting tab. He does move fast, but you can pause, fast-forward, or rewind. I learned a lot about splines from that little video.

Making mistakes is a big part of learning, but you have to spend some time trying to figure out how the mistake happened and not just post the second it doesn't work.

Once again, I'm sorry if I'm coming off as mean. I really don't mean to. I've posted and have been helped with many questions on this forum myself. I'm just saying be patient and try figuring it out yourself for a little while, then post if you can't get it.

marvin

SplineGod
06-27-2003, 11:51 AM
Thanks Marvin,
I do go kind of quickly thru that tutorial to try and keep the filze size down. I dont think I do anything without saying things like "I assigned ADD POINT to the ctrl x key". The video assumes that you do have a basic working knowledge of modeler.
If you dont have that basic grasp of modeler I would recommend taking a look at my Introduction to Lightwave Course HERE (http://www.3dtrainingonline.com) . This will definately get you up to speed quickly. :)

Night--Hawk
06-27-2003, 01:21 PM
hehe, thx guys, i think i've learned alot of these past 5 days thanks to u guys!
well, i wont stop untill i can do it like u guys are dooing it....

Night--Hawk
06-27-2003, 01:26 PM
i have some little problems to connecting to ur link. does this link connect me to the page where u are modelling a spaceship from a comic magazine?

Night--Hawk
06-27-2003, 01:37 PM
dont missunderstand me on the post 1 step over ,where i am saying "i wont stop untill i can do it like u guys are dooing it...." i didn't mean, i wont post. I ment i wont stop modelling.......:)

SplineGod
06-27-2003, 01:50 PM
The ship is part of a project based on a TV Series I worked on called Dan Dare: Pilot of the Future which is based on an old comic book hero from the UK that was around the 1950s. I have
some info on it HERE (http://www.splinegod.com/dan_dare.htm)
My Intro to Lightwave Course centers around a typical project you might run into and teaches modeling, texturing, lighting and animating.
You can see the Intro Course HERE (http://www.3dtraiiningonline.com)

Night--Hawk
06-27-2003, 01:55 PM
what book would u recommend me to read??? and im gonna buy it tomorrow....

SplineGod
06-27-2003, 02:08 PM
Thats a good question. That depends on what you want to learn.
I also have some CDs that are the exact same lectures (and bonus material) from the Newtek Sponsored Lightwave World WIde Tour Seminar (http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/worldwidetour.htm) and the Lightwave Next Dimension Tour Seminar (http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/nextdimensiontour.htm) .
These were 2 day seminars that covered a great deal of subjects.
The same lectures are on the CDs. Each CD is about 10 hours or more of material. You can pack a lot more info into a movie then you can into a book.
For books do a search on Amazon.com
Dans books are generally pretty good.
Dave Jerrard/Jennifer Hachigians Books as well.
Stuff from Wordsworth publishing look good.

Night--Hawk
06-27-2003, 02:11 PM
is it a posibility that they sells these in norway? I want to avoid buying it on the internett...

SplineGod
06-27-2003, 02:16 PM
Thats a good question...
I ship my CDs overseas all the time but I dont know about the books.

Night--Hawk
06-27-2003, 02:22 PM
are those cds something a newbie like me might start with?

SplineGod
06-27-2003, 02:42 PM
I have lots of newbies buying those CDs and who attend those seminars. The CDs cover a lot of material but its well explained and I cover a lot of tricks you dont see in many of the books.
We also have a forum for anyone taking the Seminars or buying the CDs to discuss the materials. I like books for reference but sometimes its nice to see someone actually doing it AND explaining what theyre doing.

Night--Hawk
06-27-2003, 02:44 PM
my only problem now is that they are so expensive...

SplineGod
06-27-2003, 02:55 PM
Some of those books are $50 bucks or more sometimes, can cost a lot to ship because theyre heavier then CDs and dont contain as much information as you can get into a video.
The actual Seminars were $199.00 for two days. That would have been about $400.00 for all 4 days. The same information on both CDs is only $120.00 for 20 HOURS of material. That comes out to $6.00/hr which is very cheap. :)

Night--Hawk
06-27-2003, 03:17 PM
well, im gonna go to the store tomorrow, and im goona look for your cd. i might buy it if i find it...

SplineGod
06-27-2003, 03:37 PM
I only sell my CDs off my site. :)