PDA

View Full Version : LW and Mudbox workflow

pawn_9
04-06-2007, 02:44 PM
Have anybody working here with LW and Mudbox ?
Cus I ran a small problem as I can't use 16bit displacement image from mudbox
in LW .cuz LW doesn't recognize 16bit image from mudbox even with the 16bit
tiff loader plugin .
it's seems that mudbox use a diffrent 16bit image version .

just to note that LW does recognize 16bit from other application such as
zbrush .

Thx in Advanged

Pawn

Nicolas Jordan
04-06-2007, 03:22 PM
For things to work properly you will need to have Mudbox 1.0.6 because it can bake out black & white maps. You will need to select 16 bit(black&white) for format under advanced baking options in Mudbox. I recommend using nodes in Lightwave 9 to set up your displacement maps instead of plugins if possible.

pawn_9
04-06-2007, 03:54 PM
Thx for the reply nj3Design .
but the problem is that lightwave doesn't recognize the 16bit maps that
mudbox create .
it does recognize the 8bit maps but not the 16bit .
and using the 8bit maps is not good cuz the details get lost .

Ztreem
04-06-2007, 05:15 PM
Check this out. http://lynx.aspect-design.de/plugins/tiff16bps.htm

Intuition
04-07-2007, 05:55 PM
Also, when setting up your UV maps make sure no polygons go past 1.0 x or Y co-ordinates in the UV window or Mudbox will refuse the displacement or normal map baking process.

Mattoo
04-07-2007, 06:11 PM
I've managed to use Mudbox generated displacement maps within Lightwave using Nodal without any real problems. The 16bit Tiffs worked just fine. In fact I haven't even bothered trying the B&W TIFS yet... so certainly the RGB ones work fine here. I'm running the latest beta 9.2, perhaps that's the difference? I don't remember anything specified in the 9.2 docs.

I noticed you don't state which version of LW you're using. If you're using anything before version 9 you'll probably have to use Lynx's plugin as suggested above.

sammael
04-07-2007, 10:41 PM
Load it up in photoshop and re-save it.

pawn_9
04-08-2007, 02:56 AM
Thx for all the replies folks , but I tried all that was suggested above
but still no luck .
it seems that when I load the 16bit map in the image editor it show as a blank
grey .
but if I load the 8bit , I can see it . I don't know why LW can't recognize the
16bit maps that mudbox create .
but it does recognize the 16bit maps of zbrush .
maybe it's a mudbox problem ?

BTW I'm using LW 9 , as it is very stable for me .

Thx for all the help

John

Mattoo
04-08-2007, 07:18 AM
If it's showing as grey then it's probably working... it's just your Search Distance in Mudbox is too high.

Try double clicking it in the Image Editor to open it up and see if you can see any detail.

pawn_9
04-08-2007, 08:32 AM
Thx Mattoo

But its not it , I tried putting my search distance for 1.0 and that didn't work
too .
here a pic of what I get inside LW when I tried to load the disp' image

My only guess is that mudbox use a diffrent 16bit map format or something
like that .
but if others that use mudbox and LW don't have this problem .
I guess it's a problem in my LW .

I'm getting a little frustrated that I can't make my sculpt out of mudbox :(

sammael
04-08-2007, 08:57 AM
Did you try to convert to psd or another 16bit format then save and re-load then save as tiff? I have to say mudbox sux in my experience when it comes to displacement maps. I just gave up on it and only use zbrush.
Also try exporting as obj then loading your original (low poly)obj in zbrush subdivide to the same level then import the highpolly mudbox object, you should be able to bake the same map from zbrush.

Mattoo
04-08-2007, 02:32 PM
Thx Mattoo

But its not it , I tried putting my search distance for 1.0 and that didn't work
too .
here a pic of what I get inside LW when I tried to load the disp' image

My only guess is that mudbox use a diffrent 16bit map format or something
like that .
but if others that use mudbox and LW don't have this problem .
I guess it's a problem in my LW .

I'm getting a little frustrated that I can't make my sculpt out of mudbox :(

That is odd. Kind of what Samael said;- are you sure the displacement map was generated correctly? It might not be Lightwave's fault. Does it look ok in Photoshop?

I've had Mudbox failing to fill in the map when I'm really pushing the memory limits, but it usually manages to do a little bit before making the rest of the image grey.
Memory limits have been the only problems I've had with Mudbox in regard to baking displacements. I've had no problems getting them into Lightwave.

I have found that ZBrush won't accept Mudbox's TIFS. I have to convert them to 16bit PSDs, and flip them vertically of course (I use ZBrush to create the cavity maps).

kfinla
04-08-2007, 02:57 PM
Back in the beta days there were issues with the tiffs that mudbox generated.. i would run them through Shake and render out a tiff from there in order for Modo to accept the file.

pawn_9
04-08-2007, 05:05 PM
I think I'm doing all the right thing when I'm baking my displacment map
out of mudbox . (I read so much tutorials on that , that I might be and expert in
it already)

when I view the 16bit disp in photoshop , it's all clear and good but only
one thing , I can't edit it . to edit it I must turn it to 8bit than PS let
me edit it .

I tried to run the 16bit tiff through zbrush but it didn't accept it too .
do you suggest that if I save it as a psd file , zbrush will accept it .
if so I can resave it out again as zbrush 16bit map .
Thx Mattoo
I hope it will work - I'm going to try it now

Mattoo
04-08-2007, 05:45 PM
I just loaded up LW 9.0 (as I said before, I'm using LW 9.2 beta normally) and I get the same results as you - a completely grey image when loading Mudbox TIFs. So I apologise for any wasted time there.

I would suggest either signing up for the beta (which is still possible I believe) or do as others suggested before, use the Lynx TIF loader.

Note: You may need to resave the TIF in Photoshop if LW can't load them straight out of Mudbox.

kfinla
04-08-2007, 05:48 PM
You should be fine editing your 16 bit map in CS or CS2.. what kind of editing r u trying to do?.. u have to be careful cuz if u have colour managment enabled u can mess up your maps in PS.

The way i interpreted the inital suggestion to use Zbrush was to export your Mubox hires (OBJ) and generate your displacement in Zbrush. Ofcourse you need to rebuild the sub-div hierachy in zbrush down to your base level mesh which can be dodgy if your mesh has tri's.

Ztreem
04-09-2007, 02:13 AM
The thing is that tiff files have alot of different standards so it hard for software to support them all, but Newtek had said it before if you have a file you can't load in LW send it to them so they can make LW read the file. Send it as a bug that LW can't read mudbux tiff's. That's what I would do.

Mattoo
04-09-2007, 08:17 AM
Ztreem: It appears he's using LW 9.0. The problem is already rectified on the beta 9.2 as far as I can tell.

Ztreem
04-09-2007, 09:10 AM
Mattoo: Ok, it's good if it works in 9.2 I don't have Mudbox so I can test my self.

rman2
04-10-2007, 02:28 PM
i recommend to use the lynx plug. and its important to convert the 16 tiff to b/w because its in rgb and i found that lw doesnt recognize it very well. im using lw 9.0.