PDA

View Full Version : How to texture this!

Grale
04-06-2007, 01:03 AM
Hi again,

I am just about ready to start learning to texture my model, but i am unsure of how to go about it!
Ok the model you see is made of balsa wood, so it will have a base texture for that, but it is then covered with a transparent covering which has solid artwork ontop of that!

here's a picture of the model and picture of the real thing

Any help very much appreciated :D

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/2233/displayimage1jf1.jpg

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/9606/eszi3.jpg

bloontz
04-06-2007, 12:04 PM
You've done a nice job with the frame. You will need to model the skin in order to be able to texture it. (there are many ways you could aproach that) Then you will want to use UV mapping for the decals.

prospector
04-06-2007, 01:12 PM
Kind of easy if you want the balsa wood textured.

In top view hichlite all polys facing that direction (Mainly 4 wings BUT NOT THE LEADING EDGES)
Cut and paste to new layer
Take leading edge of main wing and cut and copy to new layer
That should leave prettymuch vert fusalage.
dunno how you modeled it so in a window looking straight at the fusalage from nose, hit new texture (t on bottom right of interface), look at window and see the letters on either side (X,Y,Z), click planer map in that direction

Set top left window to texture view and you should see the total side of fusalage...if not, redo and try same map but different letter.
Most likely it will come out short and pudgy so in the texture window use 'stretch' and stretch till it looks ok,and 'move' it up as far as the box will let you (stay inside box).

goto wing layer and do same picking same texture.
Again 'stretch' till it looks right and 'move' to bottom of box...REMEMBER>>>IN THE TEXTURE WINDOW !!!

now go to leading edge and pick new and use same as before but this time use cylindrical probably same direction wing was done as.
Again, 'stretch' to look right and move to center of box.

Now highlite first layer (fusalage) and put wings as background

if the both overlap each other then size fusalage (IN TEXTURE WINDOW ONLY) a bit then reverse layers and size wings till both fit into box

highlite leading edge layer ans see if you can fit as is or even rotate 90 to fit along edge of box else resize till all fit.

now take all layers (hilite), 'cut/paste' to layer 1. you now have full texture on 1 map.

Use 'UV IMAGINATOR' which is free on Flay website and make the pic 1000 size and save

all done,, paint to hearts content.

prospector
04-06-2007, 01:13 PM
Same idea for transparent 'skin' so you can lay decals where you want them.

clumsycloudy
04-06-2007, 01:20 PM
hey darren,

way to go :thumbsup: how is the curvebuilding?

steamthunk
04-09-2007, 12:00 PM
Most likely it will come out short and pudgy so in the texture window use 'stretch' and stretch till it looks ok,and 'move' it up as far as the box will let you (stay inside box).

I generally find texturing tedious and not fun so I haven't done much of it, but its always bugged me that there's this stretching process involved? Why can't the proportions just be right to begin with? What am I missing here?

Giacomo99
04-09-2007, 12:20 PM
I've only given the thread a cursory look, but it seems that unless I'm missing something, it should be easily possible to texture the decals using plain ol' planar mapping.

Just my 2 cents.

dethrone
04-09-2007, 12:52 PM
I texture planes all day long at work and there are multiple ways you could go about texturing what you have. For your underlying Balsa Wood frame you could get away with cubic mapping it, due to the fact that it faces your ortho views fairly flat and wood lends itself to cubic mapping fairly well with a nice tilable image.

If you want to UV the object the best way to prevent the stretching is to create a box that is slightly larger than your plane and have it selected also when you create your top, side, etc UVs. Then after you have made your UVs delete the box you created and there you go UVs that are to the proper proportions of the plane model.

As for keeping the decals on the skin opaque and the rest of it transparent you will need an image that is just black and white in the transparency channel. Black is 0% transparent, White is 100% transparent, 50% gray is 50% transparent, etc. Gray Values can get tricky, 90% gray is 10% transparent, 20% Gray is 80% transparent, etc. Also with this Black and White image you can use it in your spec, diffuse, & glossy channels to differentiate between the opaque and transparent surfaces.

You can use these same techniques to planar map the object too. Make your top surface, side surface, etc. Highlight those surfaces and take screen captures in their respective ortho view, take those screen grabs into Photoshop and crop to the highlighted area and paint accordingly.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Grale
04-10-2007, 03:29 AM
Thanks for the help guys, not had a chance to try any yet as i've been without a computer for 4 days! hard drive partitions got corrupted by myslef and partition magic 8!!

But luckily i recovered all data, and have a fresh install of windows, so i will be back modelling this week :thumbsup:

will let you know how i go on :beerchug: